My kittens

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

At what age can I start litter training kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three or four weeks when they start exploring out of their nest. Be sure to use non clumping, non clay litter because they may try to eat it.
Ah! Thank you so much! They are on their way to being litter trained. I just want to be prepared. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens "train" themselves. You just have to provide a shallow litter box with non-clumping litter. They will play in the box but they know instinctively what to do. There will be some accidents but they won't need teaching. Even feral kittens, when captured know what is expected of them.

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens "train" themselves. You just have to provide a shallow litter box with non-clumping litter. They will play in the box but they know instinctively what to do. There will be some accidents but they won't need teaching. Even feral kittens, when captured know what is expected of them.
Got it. I will start introducing them to the litter and see what happens from there. Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued Peaches 5 weeks old.first she played in it and sat in it. She would shoot her poo up to the handle bars. Petco has cheap throw away litter boxes for kittens. I used yesterday news litter

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued Peaches 5 weeks old.first she played in it and sat in it. She would shoot her poo up to the handle bars. Petco has cheap throw away litter boxes for kittens. I used yesterday news litter
Awesome! I'll give that litter a try. Thank you so much!

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
Can anybody recommend me some good kitten foods I can introduce to my kitties to start weaning them off of formula?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes a kitten turkey and a kitten fish wet food that is good. Royal Canin makes excellent kitten products, as does Blue Wilderness. Also, any of the adult Fancy Feast Classic pates.

You can soak kitten chow in formula until it is soft for them as well as part of weaning. :)

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes a kitten turkey and a kitten fish wet food that is good. Royal Canin makes excellent kitten products, as does Blue Wilderness. Also, any of the adult Fancy Feast Classic pates.

You can soak kitten chow in formula until it is soft for them as well as part of weaning. :)
Great! I'll definitely give those a try. Thank you!

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that this is normal behavior, but I noticed that my female kitty has been suckling on her brother's genitalia. He's a little raw down there, so I have been applying a little bit of coconut oil on him..

What methods are there that I could try to deter this behavior?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Suckling on siblings can have serious health repercussions. You can try cutting little arm and leg holes in a sock to cover the brother but that won't always work. If deturing the behavior isn't working, you will have to separate them when they are unsupervised until the behavior stops. Ive had suckling with kittens before and it can take 3+ weeks for the behavior to stop. We did as much supervised time as possible but house them in separate areas when we couldn't watch. Each got a teddy bear to cuddle with but it had to be done.

V3v0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I separate them when I can't keep my eyes on them. Also, I would move her away whenever I saw/heard her doing that, so I think she is starting to take the hint. She hasn't completely stopped, but I will def try the rag method.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fuzzy soft blankies can work too. :) Just ensure whatever you're using is throughly hand washed and rinsed completely to not risk soap or detergent poisoning.