My Kitten's Stitches Opened 6 Days After Spaying Procedure. How Serious?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Such a cutie! Yes, they tend to happen when inconvenient. But it is looking really good. I think you can rest easy. At least it's not the cone of shame. I had a male cat that was like Houdini with the cone . 3 minutes later it was on the floor.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had something similar to this happen to one of my kitties! Not from a spay surgery, but a tumor removal surgery. Her wound got infected and split open similar to what your pictures show. What was crazy is that it was so infected, they decided it was better to NOT restitch the wound and they just had me spray it with antibiotics once or twice a day until it closed on it's own, so she had an open wound like that for two weeks. Really gross and scary, but it worked out just fine.

As of now, I'd agree that you are fine to wait until Monday like the emergency vet said, just keep an eye on it that it doesn't get worse or get infected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even tho her and her brother are the same age. Hes twice her size. And they are so freakin bonded its crazy. I barely get anytime to pet them. They just want eachothers company. But hey who knows what they been through out on the streets. So i give them their space. Only thing now is he cant be playin rough so i gotta keep em seperated a lil but they are doing fine with that. They arent completely seperated. Only when they get riled up.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Valentine, your cat you got as a profile pic is beautiful.... hilarious you got such a tricky kitty. Lmao "cone of shame" poor kitties lolol

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Damn Cataria, thanks for sharing. Thats a lot for you and yours to go through, but Im glad they got the tumor out and things are going good now. Appreciate you sharing your story. Thanks for support. Much love

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she goes to the litter box, i'd remove all the litter clay bits that can stick to the wound.
Sorry, i dont want to worry you.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No problem, I scoop immediately after everyone poop or pee. Im on my game Lalka Lalka lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually (not always but usually), the wound is sufficiently healed by 4-5 days after, enough that it may not be a problem if the stitches come out. In humans, for facial wounds they often remove the stitches after 5 days so the sutures don't cause scarring. So she should be OK now. . .just keep a close eye on her. It does look better now that it's dried out, it looks pretty good to me.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great thanks for the info Willowy. Will keep a super close on it. Thanks.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear everything is going to be ok! She is quite the cutie by the way :) positive vibes ! The incision is already looking better.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arriving a little late to this thread but there seems to be a big improvement between the first and second photo. One of my cats took her stitches out the day after her op and had to be restiched but the vet told me that there were internal stitches as well as the external ones. Check with your vet that it is the case with your cat. As long as the wound is clean and no sign of redness, swelling or pus, I think she will be fine. I'm sure your vet will put your mind at rest tomorrow. Keep us updated.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Thanks for the good vibes Ashley, and thanks for sharing a similar story Verna. Heres an updated pic of the wound today. She has been given her 2nd dose of antibiotics this morning. Idk, but it kind of looks infected but definitely better than when it first opened. Things are getting better since I keep her and her rambunctious brother from playing. Its a lot of work but it will be worth it when we are past this stage and 100% healed. Definitely seeing Vet first thing in the A.M. Thanks for your concern.
1505656847943.temp.jpg