My Kitten's Stitches Opened 6 Days After Spaying Procedure. How Serious?

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a 10 week old female kitten that we spayed 6 days ago. Today I noticed this. I have oral antibiotics given for her brother for a different illness, Clindrop. My vet is closed til Monday. How should I treat her til then, or does this require a trip to a 24/7 urgent care vet.
IMG_01971.jpg
IMG_01991.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you send that picture to your vet to ask if she needs to be taken to the emergency clinic? I think it looks like it would require some attention, but I'm not an expert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Abyeb. Thank you for your quick reply. Unforunately I have no way to get in touch with him til Monday. They are closed.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would do a 24/ hr vet, as it looks open and you don't want an infection to start. You could always call an emergency vet hospital and tell them your problem over the phone and see what they suggest

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks for your input valentine319

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think they could numb the area, flush it and stitch up before infection or more comes unstitched.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Ashley. I spoke with an emergency Vet over the phone. He said as long as it isn't bleeding or doesn't have any discharge (which it doesn't). It can wait til my vet is open. He also said I can start her on the oral antibiotics which I have (clindrop). So I will keep the E-collar on her and keep her brother from roughing her up at all, because they love to play. Woah Im glad my baby is gonna be ok!

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Valentine, do you think its unsafe to wait til Monday?

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Updated picture... the first photos were from 7 hours ago. This is how the wound looks right now. I am not sure, but it looks a lot better? Do you guys agree?
IMG_02091.jpg

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ya Valentine, for sure. Im a first time kitty parent, and ya, Im a little over-anxious when it comes to these 2. They were one the streets for the first few weeks in really bad conditions. Her brother has real bad ulcerated eyes and permanent vision damage from persistent infections untreated while they were out in the streets fending for themselves. 3 of their siblings were run over by automobiles. Very sad stuff.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ya Valentine, for sure. Im a first time kitty parent, and ya, Im a little over-anxious when it comes to these 2. They were one the streets for the first few weeks in really bad conditions. Her brother has real bad ulcerated eyes and permanent vision damage from persistent infections untreated while they were out in the streets fending for themselves. 3 of their siblings were run over by automobiles. Very sad stuff.
Thank you for taking them in! Many of us still are a wreck when there are issues. I know I am.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just had this happened with Tita, she was spayed two weeks ago on Monday, but on the seventh day after the surgery she managed to take out her stitches and also had a big lump around the incision. We ended up taking her to the vet on a Sunday. The vet cleaned up the wound, gave her some antibiotics and told us to put on an e-collar to keep her from licking the wound and try to keep her calm as much as possible (yeah right, she is a kitten!!!).

Turns out the big lump is a suture reaction and we were told to wait for it to go away. It's been almost a week today and the wound is almost closed and the lump is slowly going away.

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ya of course Valentine, I got a super soft spot for them both. They made it against the odds and now they will be treated soooo good here. Loved and well feed and well cared for!

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow Nahui thats awesome that you had similar experience. Its a real relief to think that she won't have to be put under again and re-experience the torture of the vet. Barking dogs and all..... Im happy to hear your kitty is on the road to recovery. Good vibes to you and yours Nahui

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Mini, the kitty of discussion. Poor baby with her collar on..... she hates it but has adapted to it, still wants to play!!!!!! Like, go to sleep little girl lmao
IMG_02021.jpg

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow Nahui thats awesome that you had similar experience. Its a real relief to think that she won't have to be put under again and re-experience the torture of the vet. Barking dogs and all..... Im happy to hear your kitty is on the road to recovery. Good vibes to you and yours Nahui
Thanks for the good vibes! Funny how these things always seem to happen on a weekend or when the vet is not available!

Edit: By the way, Tita is also a black kitten!

cermina3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lmaooo i wanna say i know right but i dont, this is my first go around. But thats awesome Tita is a black kitten too. I think i just over reacted and now im feeling real confident she's gonna be a-ok! Thanks for responding.