My kittens eye is still bad even after drops from vets

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Need some advice from someone. My 7 months old kitten has had bad eyes for a while now. Took him vets and they gave eye drops. Put them in and it's not so greedy colour and it's not running now but in the photo above he has dry crust at the top off hiss eye lid. The worse off his eye infection has gone he did also have mild cat flu. Can anyone help is there something I can buy as it's got to be uncomfortable for him. Thanks in advance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could really do with some help on this from other cat lovers

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take him back to the vet. Sometimes eye issues can take more than one round of medication or a different medication to help.  Or, you could get a second opinion from a different vet.

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you explain a little more about your kitty's symptoms?  You mentioned "not runny anymore", any other discharge? discolored discharged? what other eye problems? I would definitely start with adding L-lysine (250mg) twice a day (you should be able to find at your local pharmacy, 250mg or 500mg capsules, I use the 500mg capsules and divide the dose).  Also, if your kitten has been having problems, perhaps his/her immune system needs a boost.  There are many on the market, I use Standard Process "Feline Immune System Support".  If you decide to try this, go to Standard Process's website, they list their distributors; I found a vet that stocked it and sent it to me, cost $26.50.  Colostrum is also supposed help with overall wellbeing, "Living Stream" is one manufacturer of Feline Colstrum. 

maxmy1mainecoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Max my Maine Coone came down with something similar along with sneezing!  Took him to the vet. It turned out to be allergies from all the continual weather changes cold, rainy snowy 35'-15- below to 80 degree warm weather! . I have to clean his eye with a warm wet cotton swab or kleenex daily in order to get rid of the mucus like discharge from his eye and sneezing. He is now doing great!

My vet suggested to give him, Chlorpheramine ( comparable to what humans take ( Benadryl-Antihisomine)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@greencateyes i think it might be hiss immune system not working as well as it should be as he did have mild cat flu when we got him at 9 weeks old. He also gets a think black bits in the corner off hiss eye. Thank you and i will update you all.