My Kitten Won't Eat Much?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is just over 4 months old, and he's around 2.5kg. He is the most active little thing, and he's not underfed, so to speak.

However, he doesn't seem to eat much. His appetite is definitely present, he lets me know when he is hungry and begs consistently at meal times. He also seems to love his food, and eats eagerly enough. Usually with kittens, I give them 2-3 wet food sachets (85g) a day and let them free feed off dry food. However, this little guy is eating maximum one 85g sachet a day, and a few bits of kibble. He is toileting fine and consistently, up to date with all vet work including parasite protection.

He doesn't lack energy, he is still growing and a healthy weight for his size. But does anyone have any idea why he seems to eat so little? Is he at risk of being undernourished?

Oh, and to add, I break up his meals throughout the day too, but he is still only consuming one sachet.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten sounds healthy to me! A 4-month-old should weigh 4 pounds, and yours weighs 5.5 pounds, so he’s doing quite well, and clearly getting the nutrition he needs to grow, so I see no reason to worry!

Has he been neutered yet?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is just over 4 months old, and he's around 2.5kg. He is the most active little thing, and he's not underfed, so to speak.

However, he doesn't seem to eat much. His appetite is definitely present, he lets me know when he is hungry and begs consistently at meal times. He also seems to love his food, and eats eagerly enough. Usually with kittens, I give them 2-3 wet food sachets (85g) a day and let them free feed off dry food. However, this little guy is eating maximum one 85g sachet a day, and a few bits of kibble. He is toileting fine and consistently, up to date with all vet work including parasite protection.

He doesn't lack energy, he is still growing and a healthy weight for his size. But does anyone have any idea why he seems to eat so little? Is he at risk of being undernourished?

Oh, and to add, I break up his meals throughout the day too, but he is still only consuming one sachet.
Is he gaining weight? Is he active? If either of those questions is no, I would get him seen. If the answers are yes, I would have to agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good point. I fostered his litter mates, and they would eat a lot more than he does, but perhaps its just him, cause yes, he seems to be doing pretty good otherwise! Thank you both for your replies.

And yes, I am a fan of desexing early, seems to prevent a lot of behavioural problems!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! Had all my kittens spayed and neutered at 12 weeks, and stray adult cats I take in go right away. Prevents any number of problems all around. 😊