My kitten won't clean her bum

tricia261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried putting butter on her bum, read it somewhere, that did not work. I wetted her bum and she spent over an hour cleaning it! don't know if she will clean it after she does a pooh though, I will wait and see. I have stopped her wet food and have been giving her IAMS only for three days. I think her pooh is a bit more solidified. Can anyone recommend a food that may make her pooh firmer that I can buy in UK please?Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tricia261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 14 weeks old. Thank you for replying

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is young and still learning, so I do think that it will get better with time.

Loose stools are not normal, and she does need wet food in order to have all of her nutritional needs met at this stage.  Has she been wormed?  

tricia261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have wormed her twice, once, then again two weeks later. According to my calculations she isn't due again until August 29th. I was told she had been wormed before I brought her home.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should try grain free foods, and foods without a lot of by products.  The first ingredient should be meat.  If that doesn't help her, try different animal proteins.  Make sure you transition slowly so as not to upset her stomach.

How loose is the stool?  Is it any particular color?  She may have a parasite that is more difficult to test for, like coccidia.  A vet would need to give you medication.

You could also try adding in a probiotic.

tricia261

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pets at Home suggested Wainwright's, I popped in this afternoon. It says it is made with natural ingredients and has a hypo-allergenic recipe. no added wheat, no beef or pork, no dairy, no eggs, no soya or fillers and no unhealthy additives. The first ingredient is turkey. I haven't given it to her as yet. I still gave her IAMS at teatime. She had a pooh after her tea and didn't clean herself. Her pooh is pretty smelly and reasonably dark. It is less smelly with the IAMS though. I will take her to the vet if I cannot solve this myself with correct diet and possibly your advice and suggestions too. She is ginger. I expect like a lot of ginger people she is allergic to things. :-)  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Columbine may be able to recommend a product that is available in the UK.

Some cats will never clean their bottoms after using the litter box
Neither of my cats do. They will lick their bottoms at the random times while they're grooming themselves but that's about it. You can buy pet grooming wipes or even just fragrance- and loition- free baby wipes to clean your cat's bottom if it's really dirty.