My Kitten Was Vaccinated Incorrectly.. What Can I Do?

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just took my kitten, Tita, for her first vaccination. I have a vet that just opened up her practice near my home. Since all my neighbors with pets had been giving me good recommendations about her, I ended up going there instead to my regular vet in order to avoid stressing Tita out with a longer trip. Biggest mistake I've done!

I specifically asked about needing the FVRCP vaccine without rabies because it is her first vaccine. The technician who applied the vaccine ended up screwing things up, and applied the rabies vaccine instead of the FVRCP. We ended up leaving and taking her immediately to another vet to get her checked out, but all we were told is to keep and eye on her and watch for unusual behavior. So far she is her normal self, but it has not even been a full day.

We went back to the first vet, demanding to know what they specifically had done, and now the technician is not even sure of what he did. The best we could gather is that he applied the wrong vaccine (rabies). We asked to see the bottles and compare the lot numbers to what they wrote down on the card we were given. It does appear that it was rabies and not FVRCP.

I am concerned about the risks for Tita and I have no idea what to do now! Any advice?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any ill effects that could happen, other than the usual bad reactions but you would have seen that already. Unfortunately, the rabies vaccine isn't legally recognized in kittens under 12 weeks (in the US anyway) so it will probably have to be re-done later :/. Other than that she should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any ill effects that could happen, other than the usual bad reactions but you would have seen that already. Unfortunately, the rabies vaccine isn't legally recognized in kittens under 12 weeks (in the US anyway) so it will probably have to be re-done later :/. Other than that she should be fine.
Thank you for your reply! I was mostly concerned because she was just going for the first vaccination and, in my admittedly limited experience with my other cat, they started with FVRCP. I even stayed up all night just watching for any symptoms, but so far she is comfortably sleeping all curled up in my bed.