My kitten Spot

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My kitten spot is a 11 weeks old and very beautiful - I have never seen a kitten like her. She is white all over apart from her tail and a spot on her head, which has a greyish black colour. Her fur looks like she will be long haired. It is very soft, almost rabbit like. Her tail looks like it will be bushy. She is highly intelligent, does not like being picked up and very active. I think she is a moggy. Mum was the same as her, but her tail and head were ginger and tortoiseshell, father was unknown. She has greyish khaki coloured eyes. Her ears have long hairs in them. Any ideas of her heritage or is she a Heinz 57 (which is fine!).

ps she is 5 weeks old in these pictures, but looks the same, just a bit bigger and her tail is a lot bigger and bushier! Last picture is her mum.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a cute kitten! Was she only 5 weeks old when you adopted her? Her mother is beautiful, too. :redheartpump:

From your description and these pictures, I would describe Spot as a brown tabby and white domestic longhair. I think she is brown tabby and white, rather than black and white, since I can see stripes on her tail, and some shading on her head spot. I'm assuming that she is longhaired from your description; it's not easy to determine adult hair length from pictures of a 5 week old kitten. Spot's mother is either calico, or torbie and white; it's difficult to tell from the one picture. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Cats that have lots of white spotting tend to have color restricted to the head and tail, like Spot and her mother. This distribution of white can be called "van pattern," named after the Turkish Van cat. "Van pattern" doesn't indicate that a cat is related to the Turkish Van or any other breed. The pattern comes from having two copies of the gene for white spotting. The same white spotting gene is responsible for cats with just a little bit of white ("tuxedo" pattern), and cats with lots of white, like Spot and her mother.

We can guess from looking at Spot that her father probably had some white markings on him, too, but he might have just had a little white on him. If Spot is longhaired, her father might have been either longhaired himself, or shorthaired carrying longhair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lutece that is so interesting! She is indeed a beautiful kitten (she is walking in the keyboard as I type!) I fell in love with her the first moment I saw her. I adopted her at 8 weeks, she was 5 weeks when we first visited her.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spot is now a 4 and a half month old naughty kitten
She is so different to my other 4 cats. She is so clever and can unlock a locked cat flaps. She sits watching a tap drip for hours, sits in the toilet bowl, jumps in the fish pond, loves to help my husband with washing up, chirps and not meows, attempts to jump to crazy heights!!!

Attachments

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's one cute bundle of energy you have there. I think they're all smart, just able to hide their intelligence better when they're older to trick us all the more.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely. Just waiting to get her neutered and then she can go outdoors under supervision xxx

ePelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh man! She is really gorgeous. Her appearance resembles the Turkish Van breed.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous and I was so lucky to find her - she only cost me £40. I have had many cats in my life, but she is so very different. All of her litter mates are the same crazy critters, obsessed with toilets and baths. She also loves to play with my Dutch rabbit!

ePelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You just might have Turkish Van. I did a little reading on this breed a while ago and was intrigued to learn that they are super active, some have two different color eyes, and love the water. You really have a lovely little girl. Love her and enjoy her company. Take good care.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten spot is now 5 months old. Her tail amazes me and is very glorious. Any ideas where it comes from?
Her glorious plume tail comes from being a longhaired cat. Her color (mostly white with spots of color on the head and tail) comes from having two copies of the gene for white spotting.

I agree, she is gorgeous!

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks she is very special, spoilt and adored :vancat::happycat:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous, a very special little girl! Thanks for letting us watch her grow up. I bet she has a birthday party when she turns one!

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Everyone who meets her think she is a pedigree, but she's just a regular moggy!