My kitten poops a lot!

Lidsa

Coco-Pops
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 4 month old ragdoll furbaby. Shes the cutest and the most lovable furbaby but she poops so much!
When I first got her, the breeder didn't feed her all morning. She was very thin, skin and bones. She ate with so much hunger. Then she pooped, and pooped. I counted in one day, 20 times!
I changed her diet from wet and dry food to just dry and she still poops alot. This isn't normal? She's healthy, she's gaining weight and has lots of energy but the poops are driving me crazy!
What could be wrong with her? ☹

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her stool well formed? That’s a ridiculously excessive amount of pooping. Has she seen a vet?

Dry food commonly has a huge amount of fillers and increases stool bulk. If it’s within your budget I’d strongly advise transitioning to all wet instead. It’s better for long term health, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lidsa

Coco-Pops
Kitten
Purraise
Is her stool well formed? That’s a ridiculously excessive amount of pooping. Has she seen a vet?

Dry food commonly has a huge amount of fillers and increases stool bulk. If it’s within your budget I’d strongly advise transitioning to all wet instead. It’s better for long term health, as well.
She was on dry biscuits by the breeder. I was trying to transition her onto wet food but her stools were very runny.
I was told by the breeder after I bought it up with her within a few days of her being with us, she simply said to place her on dry biscuits like she was used to. She's not dehydrated and her stools are getting a thickness to them. Wet food made her stools very runny.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not the wet food specifically making her stools runny. Dry food can make stools less hydrated, giving them the illusion of being more formed, but that doesn’t fix the underlying issues.
At a guess, you probably tried to transition her to wet food too quickly, she has parasites, or she has an intolerance or allergy. Could be some combination of the three.
I’d take her to the vet to do a full faecal PCR panel, including Tritrichonomas and T.foetus. Vet should also hypothesize why she has such huge poops, because that’s very much not normal, though could easily be parasite or infection related, imo. Large stool volume can also be related to food intolerance, but that’s generally less common in young cats, unless her parents have similar issues.

Chronic dehydration is only detectible in the long term via health repercussions. It’s been known since research in the 80s that cats can only drink half the water they need if on a kibble only diet. Water they’d otherwise get with their food.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lidsa

Coco-Pops
Kitten
Purraise
Its not the wet food specifically making her stools runny. Dry food can make stools less hydrated, giving them the illusion of being more formed, but that doesn’t fix the underlying issues.
At a guess, you probably tried to transition her to wet food too quickly, she has parasites, or she has an intolerance or allergy. Could be some combination of the three.
I’d take her to the vet to do a full faecal PCR panel, including Tritrichonomas and T.foetus. Vet should also hypothesize why she has such huge poops, because that’s very much not normal, though could easily be parasite or infection related, imo. Large stool volume can also be related to food intolerance, but that’s generally less common in young cats, unless her parents have similar issues.

Chronic dehydration is only detectible in the long term via health repercussions. It’s been known since research in the 80s that cats can only drink half the water they need if on a kibble only diet. Water they’d otherwise get with their food.
Ok, thank you. I was guessing parasites as well as the breeder seems to be a backyard breeder and she wasn't well cared for. Thank you for your reply.