My kitten looks a little weird from her littermates. Is this normal?

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a litter of folds last month, the last female Scottish Straight looks a little different- she's the youngest, the last one to be born and she was kind of a runt (she wasnt drinking mom's milk for the few minutes after she was born and she weight over 10g less than the others-she had to be bottle fed with KMR), but managed to be okay. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any insight on this. She plays and eats and does all the kitten things just like her other littermates. Her father is a highland straight (double non fold carrier), the mom is a Scottish fold (parents were Scottish Straight and Scottish fold)

Attachments

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does she look different? I don't notice any difference other than her straight ears. They are all adorable, by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does she look different? I don't notice any difference other than her straight ears. They are all adorable, by the way.
Thank you!! I don't know, to me she looks a little different or maybe thats just me haha. She's a sweet thing she is. Just wanted some opinions on her, that's all. Like is it cause she's the youngest?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know either. She looks about the same size as the others. I'm sure she's a sweet thing! She definitely looks like it! The two on the left look longhaired. She and the other kitten on the right look shorthaired. The fur on the top of her head looks wet. It's kinda folded to the side. Maybe that's it?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The two sitting kittens look cross-eyed to me, but that may be due to their age or the lighting.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do look cross-eyed. Is that bad? What causes cross-eyes?

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two sitting kittens look cross-eyed to me, but that may be due to their age or the lighting.
they are a little cross-eyed, but they're outgrowing it, the eyes of fold on the far right are fine now, they're normal. The Scottish Straight next to her is slowly getting there too. I think they just need time to outgrow it and strengthen their muscles.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
they are a little cross-eyed, but they're outgrowing it, the eyes of fold on the far right are fine now, they're normal. The Scottish Straight next to her is slowly getting there too. I think they just need time to outgrow it and strengthen their muscles.
Then I’m sure the straight will get there, too. She may look odd to you because you’ve been so used to seeing her as the runt, and she seems to be catching up in size now, from the photos. As long as she doesn’t have any behavioural differences, I wouldn’t worry, though bring it up to the vet when you take them for vaccinations for peace of mind.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Then I’m sure the straight will get there, too. She may look odd to you because you’ve been so used to seeing her as the runt, and she seems to be catching up in size now, from the photos. As long as she doesn’t have any behavioural differences, I wouldn’t worry, though bring it up to the vet when you take them for vaccinations for peace of mind.
Yup sure will, their next visit is next week, hopefully its nothing too serious!

brigittejones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a litter of folds last month, the last female Scottish Straight looks a little different- she's the youngest, the last one to be born and she was kind of a runt (she wasnt drinking mom's milk for the few minutes after she was born and she weight over 10g less than the others-she had to be bottle fed with KMR), but managed to be okay. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any insight on this. She plays and eats and does all the kitten things just like her other littermates. Her father is a highland straight (double non fold carrier), the mom is a Scottish fold (parents were Scottish Straight and Scottish fold)
The typical and expectable variation in that litter would be some kittens with folded and some with straight ears.The kittens vary between slightly darker to lighter fur, not unusual. They take up various genes from their ancestors.Her main difference was that she happened to be a runt in that litter, one that probably got a little less prenatal nutrition possibly as shown by her initial inept readiness to suckle (though ongoing formula may have become a developed preference).Again some litters do have the initial little runt who afterwards is totally fine like this one is showing.This kitten just has had a temporary "difference".

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I also do not see anything different.

And one thing is for sure though - they are all so very cute. What is it with kittens that brings a lot of warmth to our hearts? :)