my kitten is pooping outside the litter box

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I started another thread but this is related with this thread I opened a couple of days ago, if you want to check here is:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/284732/kitten-injured-back-leg-what-is-the-best-way-to-care-for-him

So the overall situation is the following:

I have two kittens almost 3 months now that I rescued when they were 2 weeks. 2 days ago one of the kittens got a leg injury and we took him to the vet. As expected the Vet told us to confine the kitten into solitude while his leg is healing. He's getting better but the problem is his brother. He have been pooping outside the litter box since then, he's pretty stressed by the fact he can't play with his little brother, he is also very anxious by the fact his brother is 'trapped' in the toilet room during the night and he keeps growling at the door.

Today I let them play together a little while supervised, but at night and while we're working we need to keep them separate until he recovers. I'm afraid this behavior of pooping outside the littler box will continue and he'll keep on doing it forever!!!

What can I do to relieve his stress? What can I do to correct his behavior?

Thanks a lot for your advice!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To reduce stress, try to play with him until he is tired out (which is way after you will be : ) Kittens especially have excess energy.
And get some Feliway (much cheaper on Amazon) and Composure treats.
To correct behavior: you can try to correct the situation, which hopefully will lead to a change in behavior. The area where he poops must be thoroughly thoroughly cleaned. I recently went through a similar episode with Ritz (first time ever in the five years since I've adopted her). It took three cleanings with Natures Miracle and airing out before she started to poop/pee in the litter box (which is inside an unused shower stall). Cats can smell much better than us humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To reduce stress, try to play with him until he is tired out (which is way after you will be : ) Kittens especially have excess energy.
And get some Feliway (much cheaper on Amazon) and Composure treats.
To correct behavior: you can try to correct the situation, which hopefully will lead to a change in behavior. The area where he poops must be thoroughly thoroughly cleaned. I recently went through a similar episode with Ritz (first time ever in the five years since I've adopted her). It took three cleanings with Natures Miracle and airing out before she started to poop/pee in the litter box (which is inside an unused shower stall). Cats can smell much better than us humans.
thank you so much for your advice, I'll try my best!