My kitten is crazy :/

sh112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a kitten at work a week or so ago and thanks to everyone he is a proper weight and doing really well. He has seen the vet and is in good health. We finally named him Moe :) Our only issue with him now is he has gone completely insane, my arms are covered in bites and scratches and so are my legs and feet. I can't even pet him without getting bitten and scratched, I try to walk away and ignore him and he attacks my legs. Even if I'm just sitting still and not paying any attention to him he will start trying to chew on a wire or something else bad to get my attention so when I go to pick him up and stop him he gets to bite and scratch my hands. When he's not doing that he's bolting from room to room making crazy noises. Moe was a sweet kitten last week now he's gone berserk! What can I do to at least stop all the biting and scratching?

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a normal kitten who's finally warmed up to you and feels comfortable enough to be himself. I call this an "unfortunate fortunate" situation ;-) He needs some serious playtime with wand toys like Da Bird. My now 2 year olds used to have so much energy they could play with wand toys for hours. It might not be realistic to play for hours on end, but as much playtime as you can give him will help drain the excess energy. (Note of caution: please put wand toys out of reach when you're finished playing with them. Kittens shouldn't have access to anything with string.)

In addition, you can redirect the roughhousing behavior to a toy, like a Kong Kickeroo. You may have to carry one around, or keep stuffed toys spread around the house, that you can give him when he play attacks. It takes a little time and consistency, but he will pick up on what's appropriate to play attack and what isn't before long. 

If he doesn't have scratchers, usually made from corrugated cardboard or sisal, that's something else he'll need. 

Best wishes!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, your Moe is pretty normal. 
  Does he have toys? Wands specially satisfy his hunting instinct and tire him out so he will not be interested to go after your legs/hands. Also, you can hiss at him when he even tries to bite. Mama cats do that to discipline their young. Moe seems to be a smart kitten and in time he will learn to avoid hurting you.