My kitten has fleas, is there anything I can do to stop the fleas from spreading around the house?

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post so hopefully I’m doing it right. Please could anyone give me some advice on what preventative measures to take because my kitten has fleas.

His name is Casper and we got him from a home who didn’t look after him properly. They didn’t know how old he was, or what he ate and he didn’t have his initial vaccinations. When we went to pick him up, I saw he had fleas but since I’ve never had a cat with fleas before, I thought I’d just take him to the vet to get him de-flead or perhaps use a spot on I could get from a store and it would be okay.

We got him on Wednesday 2nd September 2020 so we’ve only had him for 3 days but he’s settled in really well. He’s super calm and affectionate and I really want him to be able to roam free but he’s only allowed to go in one room at the moment- due to the fleas. Additionally, we got a puppy a little over a week ago (both animals had cats/dogs at their homes so I’m not too worried about introducing them) and I don’t want him to get fleas.

Usually I sit with Casper for a few hours and then I go and take a shower/change my clothes once I’ve left the room (as you can guess, it’s a bit tedious). However, my main concern is on how to get rid of them from the rest of the house (in case they have spread). Today -05/09/20- Casper went to the vets and they gave him some flea treatment which they said would make the fleas drop off him after 2 days so I’m excited for him to be able to see the rest of the house. The only thing is that my mum is extremely paranoid and she doesn’t want fleas to be laying eggs around the house and reproducing. She hates the idea of them being everywhere and on her. I told her they tend to only go on pets or hosts that they can suck blood from which have lots of fur but she’s still wants to take precautions. The vet said that the fleas will drop off into the environment with treatment Casper has received, meaning they won’t die. If this is the case, do I remove Casper from the room after 2 days and then spray some flea spray around the room and wash things like bedding at a high temperature? Also, how do I enter/leave the room without getting fleas all over my clothes and spreading them to the rest of the house? It’s been a few hours since the medication has been on him and I can see a few crawling across the floor : c
The floor is tiled though and there isn’t much fabric or furniture in the room which I think is helpful?
Sorry for making this so long, if anyone has any advice or tips, I’d be really appreciative. Thanks for reading :)
Here’s a picture of Casper.. he’s 3 months old by the way.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get your kitten de-flead (flea bath) ASAP, you shouldn't have much problem.

You might be able to use a topical flea treatment but, at his age, I would ask your vet first. OTC topical flea treatments aren't for young cats because they can get sick from it. Your vet should know whether he is old enough and what kinds of treatments to use.
Don't trifle with topical treatments until you've done your homework.

I normally don't recommend this as a first-line defense but diatomaceous earth (AKA: "diatomite") can help keep fleas at bay.
Diatomaceous earth is basically comprised of microscopic particles of silica (sand) that has an abrasive effect on insects. It wears away the waxy coating on the surface of their bodies and causes them to lose water and dry out, eventually killing them.

Diatomaceous earth does work but it's not a cure-all. It's an added measure of defense. You have to do other things BEFORE using it or else it will only make a mess in your house.

Keep your carpets, upholstery and bedding scrupulously clean! Wash, vacuum and change bedding frequently. Do this BEFORE using diatomite!

Then spread a SMALL amount of diatomite over your carpets and vacuum it in, like the way you use those "vacuum-in" carpet fresheners. Diatomaceous earth *WILL* clog your vacuum filters quickly! Change your vacuum bag, empty your dust cup and wash/replace your HEPA filters frequently or else you could cause your vacuum cleaner to self-destruct! (You don't have to ask me how I know this! ;) )

If you are conscientious and and stay ahead of the ball, you shouldn't have any problem with fleas. :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cutie. I would call the vet and ask what exactly is meant by the fleas dropping off. I would have interpreted that to mean they drop off because they're dead.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assumed that you were talking about the life cycle of fleas where they feed on warm blooded animals, reproduce and drop off to live in the environment before returning to start the cycle again.

I mentioned diatomite as a way to interrupt that cycle.

Yes! Cute kitten! Good choice for his name! ;)
I have always loved tabbies! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you get your kitten de-flead (flea bath) ASAP, you shouldn't have much problem.

You might be able to use a topical flea treatment but, at his age, I would ask your vet first. OTC topical flea treatments aren't for young cats because they can get sick from it. Your vet should know whether he is old enough and what kinds of treatments to use.
Don't trifle with topical treatments until you've done your homework.

I normally don't recommend this as a first-line defense but diatomaceous earth (AKA: "diatomite") can help keep fleas at bay.
Diatomaceous earth is basically comprised of microscopic particles of silica (sand) that has an abrasive effect on insects. It wears away the waxy coating on the surface of their bodies and causes them to lose water and dry out, eventually killing them.

Diatomaceous earth does work but it's not a cure-all. It's an added measure of defense. You have to do other things BEFORE using it or else it will only make a mess in your house.

Keep your carpets, upholstery and bedding scrupulously clean! Wash, vacuum and change bedding frequently. Do this BEFORE using diatomite!

Then spread a SMALL amount of diatomite over your carpets and vacuum it in, like the way you use those "vacuum-in" carpet fresheners. Diatomaceous earth *WILL* clog your vacuum filters quickly! Change your vacuum bag, empty your dust cup and wash/replace your HEPA filters frequently or else you could cause your vacuum cleaner to self-destruct! (You don't have to ask me how I know this! ;) )

If you are conscientious and and stay ahead of the ball, you shouldn't have any problem with fleas. :)
Okay, thank you for all the information. I’ll definitely read into more of what you said :)

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cutie. I would call the vet and ask what exactly is meant by the fleas dropping off. I would have interpreted that to mean they drop off because they're dead.
I asked when I was there and she said that they won’t die but they won’t want to be on his body anymore so they’ll drop off, hence being left in the environment (the room where Casper is in right now). Which is better than the fleas staying on him but then I have the problem of getting rid of the fleas. Thank you for replying though, I might call my vet and ask about some things.

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assumed that you were talking about the life cycle of fleas where they feed on warm blooded animals, reproduce and drop off to live in the environment before returning to start the cycle again.

I mentioned diatomite as a way to interrupt that cycle.

Yes! Cute kitten! Good choice for his name! ;)
I have always loved tabbies! :redheartpump:
Thank you I’ll definitely look into it, and I adore tabbies too 🥰

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand what flea treatment takes two days to work and doesn't kill fleas. I love your user's name: CasperTheKitten. :)

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't understand what flea treatment takes two days to work and doesn't kill fleas. I love your user's name: CasperTheKitten. :)
After reading about flea treatment on the internet, it’s confusing me too. Perhaps the fleas do die but the vet may have stated it wrong? I hope that’s the case so then I won’t have to worry about those pesky bugs infesting other places.

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know what flea treatment the vet used?
Thank you for asking that because I just researched a bit into it and it says that Advocate for cats kills the fleas. However since he’s only a kitten, would the vet have prescribed a lesser amount which may not do the same? Excuse my lack of knowledge 😅

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Advocate (which is the same thing as Advantage Multi) comes in different dosages depending on the size/age of the kitten or cat. But, the results should be the same for both. According to Bayer (make of Advocate), existing fleas are killed within 12 hours, and after this time re-infesting fleas are killed within 1 hour.

However, from all that I have read about flea treatments, it still could take at least a couple of monthly doses before it entirely takes care of the fleas. In the meantime, vacuuming all flooring surfaces, as well as furniture, and cleaning washable items (cat bedding, clothing, blankets, etc.) in the hottest acceptable setting for both the washer/dryer will help to remove any flea eggs/larvae that might be in the house. Flea eggs drop off the host animal and can end up in flooring seams/crevices and just about anywhere else the cat hangs out, or anywhere in the house you might unintentionally carry them.

I would also get your puppy flea treatments as soon as he is old enough to have them.

Here is a good web site that will tell you all you need to know (and, all you never thought you needed to know) about fleas and getting rid of them.
FleaScience

CasperTheKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advocate (which is the same thing as Advantage Multi) comes in different dosages depending on the size/age of the kitten or cat. But, the results should be the same for both. According to Bayer (make of Advocate), existing fleas are killed within 12 hours, and after this time re-infesting fleas are killed within 1 hour.

However, from all that I have read about flea treatments, it still could take at least a couple of monthly doses before it entirely takes care of the fleas. In the meantime, vacuuming all flooring surfaces, as well as furniture, and cleaning washable items (cat bedding, clothing, blankets, etc.) in the hottest acceptable setting for both the washer/dryer will help to remove any flea eggs/larvae that might be in the house. Flea eggs drop off the host animal and can end up in flooring seams/crevices and just about anywhere else the cat hangs out, or anywhere in the house you might unintentionally carry them.

I would also get your puppy flea treatments as soon as he is old enough to have them.

Here is a good web site that will tell you all you need to know (and, all you never thought you needed to know) about fleas and getting rid of them.
FleaScience
Thank you, I really appreciate the information and yes, we’re getting our puppy flea treatment this week as he has a vet appointment.