My kitten grew into a bully

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok cute kitten. Grew, 9 lbs later; she throws her weight around on my 7 yr old cat. My older cat has weak bones. It was suggested I put her on medication if she ever acted in pain from age, due to the X-ray.
My kitten will walk up to my older cat, and want what she has. For example, I gave them cat nip smelling kickers. My older cat was sniffing the kittens kicker while she was kicking. They got into an argument.
I get my older cats kicker for her, the kitten walks up on her and they get verbal.
The kitten has always lived to play. She will stalk my older cat into playing tag or chase.
Sometimes the older cat has to tell the kitten I’m not playing and send a message.
The kitten grew up here. My older cat took her in like her own kitten.
Now the kitten is almost 1 year old.
They are both female and fixed.
I hope I didn’t create favorites.
I’ve been so busy with a new dog. I haven’t noticed a change in pecking order.
After the cat nip kicker situation I separated them in different rooms for a bit.
I don’t want them to hurt each other, or push each other around.
The kitten does do everything the older cat does.
Uses the same litter box after the older cat, disturbs her nap if she wants the spot. It’s been a lot of that, I’m the boss, I own that behavior.
I was just thinking, at least the cats have each other and are doing great.
How do I spread myself for each of them, so each pet feels unconditional love?
The kitten is a bit naughty. Counter surfer, begs when I eat, uses the dog door to possibly get lost or injured, knocks stuff off counter..etc.. ok
Maybe because of what I let

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a hierarchy in any household. Your kitten is fighting for top spot and may very well get it. Kittens are especially cute and little when we get them and we often try to 'protect' them when the older cat tries to discipline them. Hissing, growling, slapping, and pinning the kitten to the ground are all perfectly normal and teach the kitten manners and limits. Just like with a small child, if they have no limits or guidelines on how to behave, they grow up not aware of other's feelings and what is sociably acceptable. Your kitten will most likely mellow as she gets older and they will become closer. For now, try not to intervene if the older cat is disciplining the younger unless it really gets ugly. Give the older cat a little more reassurance that she is still number one in YOUR eyes, maybe a few extra little treats or stroking time. Tell the younger cat NO loudly and let her know what is acceptable in your household. Put up anything really valuable right now so it doesn't get broken, set her repeatedly on the ground saying no when she is on the counter, and a small 5 minute time out in the bedroom would not be uncalled for at times. No longer than 5-10 minutes or she will not associate why she is in there and get confused about why you are doing it. It will all work out in time, she will try to get away with more if you let her know what she is doing is acceptable now by ignoring it. She is still young and full of brimming energy that she hasn't figured out what to do with yet, make sure she has cardboard scratchers and kickeroos and toys to let some of it out. All the luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so agree with di and bob di and bob . And a good, FIRM "NO!" can be your best friend with your kitten. This will take time, patience and consistency on your part, but that picture says it all. These cats, down under the jockeying for position, trust each other, or they would not sleep that close together. Your older girl may actually lose her "top cat" position with the animals, just remind her that she still has it with you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, one year old cats *are* a PITA to older cats as a rule. For an older cat that wants to sit in the sun and relax, a 1 to 1.5 yr old is like the plague. There is no magic cure anymore than there is a magic cure for 8 year old human boys being a PITA to their five year old little brothers. In fact, its worse, because you can at least talk to the eight year old human and he can theoretically understand your punishments. With cats, you mostly have to just let them be, maybe gently separating or distracting when the older one looks especially miserable.

I mean some folks on here will have some tips, and they might help a little. And you know, every mom has someone in their friend group with an eight year old that helps little brother get dressed then gives him a hug. That doesn't mean you can get yours to do that -- good luck right? Bottom line, its a tough age for everyone, especially the older cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the firm 'NO' as part of the younger cat's behavior training. But, just wanted to point out that picking up the cat and saying 'NO' in her face rather than saying it to her from across the room is best - so, your older girl doesn't think the 'NO' was intended for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats have a hierarchy in any household. Your kitten is fighting for top spot and may very well get it. Kittens are especially cute and little when we get them and we often try to 'protect' them when the older cat tries to discipline them. Hissing, growling, slapping, and pinning the kitten to the ground are all perfectly normal and teach the kitten manners and limits. Just like with a small child, if they have no limits or guidelines on how to behave, they grow up not aware of other's feelings and what is sociably acceptable. Your kitten will most likely mellow as she gets older and they will become closer. For now, try not to intervene if the older cat is disciplining the younger unless it really gets ugly. Give the older cat a little more reassurance that she is still number one in YOUR eyes, maybe a few extra little treats or stroking time. Tell the younger cat NO loudly and let her know what is acceptable in your household. Put up anything really valuable right now so it doesn't get broken, set her repeatedly on the ground saying no when she is on the counter, and a small 5 minute time out in the bedroom would not be uncalled for at times. No longer than 5-10 minutes or she will not associate why she is in there and get confused about why you are doing it. It will all work out in time, she will try to get away with more if you let her know what she is doing is acceptable now by ignoring it. She is still young and full of brimming energy that she hasn't figured out what to do with yet, make sure she has cardboard scratchers and kickeroos and toys to let some of it out. All the luck!
Thanks!!!! Great advice!!!! Older cats sends pics

2E69E9AE-BAE1-4FA8-A39E-2445A02D53BB.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the firm 'NO' as part of the younger cat's behavior training. But, just wanted to point out that picking up the cat and saying 'NO' in her face rather than saying it to her from across the room is best - so, your older girl doesn't think the 'NO' was intended for her.