My kitten died after receiving injection of Cerenia

whitecat2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3.8 lb. kitten, aged 4 1/2 months, was taken to the vet on 08/29/15, and died after receiving an injection of Cerenia for nausea and lethargy.  This kitten had received Cerenia before, and didn't have any trouble with it.  I am an RN, and I know that humans can take a medication their entire life without any problems, and then all of the sudden have an allergic reaction, or some type of reaction to the med. 

After receiving the injection, she became "glassy eyed" and lethargic, kind of in "outer space".  8 hours later, she was dead.  I am reporting this reaction to the manufacturer or Cerenia.  My kitten did have gastrointestinal problems, and was on prescription vet food.  All the kittens from the litter had GI problems.  They were distemper negative, and feline leukemia and HIV negative.  Their stools were always negative.  They never had a definitive diagnosis.

Just be careful everyone, I have been reading that Cerenia is not approved for use in cats.  Who knows, but the vets use it anyway.  Then I have read it is okay for use in cats.  But she was a kitten.  I should note she also received 30 cc of Lactated Ringers IV with the Cerenia.

Has anyone else out there lost a pet to Cerenia?  I am just wondering and heartbroken.  Thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My 3.8 lb. kitten, aged 4 1/2 months, was taken to the vet on 08/29/15, and died after receiving an injection of Cerenia for nausea and lethargy.  This kitten had received Cerenia before, and didn't have any trouble with it.  I am an RN, and I know that humans can take a medication their entire life without any problems, and then all of the sudden have an allergic reaction, or some type of reaction to the med. 

After receiving the injection, she became "glassy eyed" and lethargic, kind of in "outer space".  8 hours later, she was dead.  I am reporting this reaction to the manufacturer or Cerenia.  My kitten did have gastrointestinal problems, and was on prescription vet food.  All the kittens from the litter had GI problems.  They were distemper negative, and feline leukemia and HIV negative.  Their stools were always negative.  They never had a definitive diagnosis.

Just be careful everyone, I have been reading that Cerenia is not approved for use in cats.  Who knows, but the vets use it anyway.  Then I have read it is okay for use in cats.  But she was a kitten.  I should note she also received 30 cc of Lactated Ringers IV with the Cerenia.

Has anyone else out there lost a pet to Cerenia?  I am just wondering and heartbroken.  Thank you.
I'm so sorry for your loss.  My cat was on Cerenia for a long time, a miracle drug for him. Cerenia was developed for dogs but is recommended for both dogs and cats with parameters , and i have never heard of a cat or dog dying from it.  This link gives a lot of info including adverse reactions.  http://www.drugs.com/vet/cerenia-injectable-solution.html

Vito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our male cat Red has just died less than 24 hrs since taken to Vet. for weakness, constipation and not eating. The Vet. was to give him fluid and medication and due to the pandemic we were not allow in the office to talk to the vet or see what was being done. Our cat was brought out to the parking lot and gave us a receipt, we thought the all was okay. Once home when my wife fed him by hand we thought all was okay. When I look at the receipt to check what kind of medication was given LRS SQ F

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! I am so sorry. LRS SQ F would be sub-Q fluids that they gave him. Please contact the vet, tell them what has happened, and ask for a full detailed explanation of what they saw and what they did.

Again, I am so sorry about Red.

Vito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reply was sent before I was finished. LRS SQ Fluids 8.20 Cerenia Injection per pound. I was surprise when I found out that Cerenia is a anti vomiting drug for which my cat has no vomiting symptoms. Late yesterday the day of the vet visit she tried to feed him again to no avail, he just meowed so loud and fought her. Today mid day she tried again and was able to feed him a little, but within a half hour he was lying and gasping for breath and die shortly after that. We can not understand what had happened.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's really why you need to have a phone conversation with the vet and find out what they saw, and why they gave him Cerenia. There are always cases of a med causing an issue, and sometimes death, in certain cats. But, I suspect there was more going on than what anybody bothered to tell you. It is imperative that you find out so you have all the details.

Last edited:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Reply was sent before I was finished. LRS SQ Fluids 8.20 Cerenia Injection per pound. I was surprise when I found out that Cerenia is a anti vomiting drug for which my cat has no vomiting symptoms. Late yesterday the day of the vet visit she tried to feed him again to no avail, he just meowed so loud and fought her. Today mid day she tried again and was able to feed him a little, but within a half hour he was lying and gasping for breath and die shortly after that. We can not understand what had happened.
Cats often stop eating due to nausea, cerenia is also an anti-nausea medication so that very well could have been the reason. Definitely call your vet and get details.