My Kitten Chews His Paws Raw

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided to schedule his biopsy after Thanksgiving because he's chewing his one leg pretty good and we put some salve on it and a Coban wrap to prevent further chewing at least for the time it stays on. It's not a bloody mess but it is a little raw and worse than I thought.

I'll get my holiday pay after Thanksgiving so I'll get what money I lost pretty much back, and I'm also almost done Christmas shopping early so it'll work out. I can't wait much longer to find a solution that will actually help him recover. I'll do what I can until then. Thanksgiving is not far ahead so I think we can make it.

*hugs* I'm so sorry that it's looking worse again. It's very frustrating to not know the cause and to only see the symptoms / physical reactions to some unknown issue.

You can make it.

XOXOXO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*hugs* I'm so sorry that it's looking worse again. It's very frustrating to not know the cause and to only see the symptoms / physical reactions to some unknown issue.

You can make it.

XOXOXO
It's even harder having to wait. I wish we didn't have to wait at least two weeks after taking him off the pred, but it can affect the results, I guess. Both his whole legs in the back are chewed and bald. They aren't bleeding, but they look pink and irritated and chewed and we can't wrap it all as that would take three people (one to stretch his leg).

Feel like banging my head against the wall.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Teddy is not getting a biopsy until his legs heal enough. They are so chewed that she agrees that he shouldn't be off medication right now, so he's back on antibiotics and steroids. We're going to continue to put topical treatment on it and wrap them. Then when they look better he will be taken off the pred and two weeks from then he'll get the biopsy.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's even harder having to wait. I wish we didn't have to wait at least two weeks after taking him off the pred, but it can affect the results, I guess. Both his whole legs in the back are chewed and bald. They aren't bleeding, but they look pink and irritated and chewed and we can't wrap it all as that would take three people (one to stretch his leg).

Feel like banging my head against the wall.
*hugs*

I know what you mean. With BH I say it's like watching paint dry with her healing.

So Teddy is not getting a biopsy until his legs heal enough. They are so chewed that she agrees that he shouldn't be off medication right now, so he's back on antibiotics and steroids. We're going to continue to put topical treatment on it and wrap them. Then when they look better he will be taken off the pred and two weeks from then he'll get the biopsy.
That makes sense. Sucks, but makes sense.

I picked up the VitB for BH tonight. Maybe ask your vet if it's something for Teddy.

It's Niacinamide, so a VItB. We're hoping it helps boost her immune system and give the meds an added Kick for healing.

She's on 1ml. I can give it to her all at once, or divide it up twice a day. (but not within an hour of giving her the Dioxy). Like people, cats will pee out extra so I elected to do twice a day right now.

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there...
I'm searching for info as my little 1yr old,.Boo, has similar paw issues. Is this thread still active? I'm not sure if I'm chiming in in the right spot, I just joined this site. I hope Teddy is doing ok! This is a funky and frustrating illness! I'm debating doing the biopsy, but really nervous about it pp0p:/

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, G georgesgirl01 This thread can be reactivated or you can start one for Boo. I have not yet encountered pillow foot but I certainly want to be informed in case that I ever come across a cat suffering from it.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there...
I'm searching for info as my little 1yr old,.Boo, has similar paw issues. Is this thread still active? I'm not sure if I'm chiming in in the right spot, I just joined this site. I hope Teddy is doing ok! This is a funky and frustrating illness! I'm debating doing the biopsy, but really nervous about it pp0p:/
Hey there! I haven't been on this thread in a while as I now post my thoughts and frustrations about Teddy's issues on the What's On My Mind Thread, but Teddy is currently going in for his biopsy next Tuesday morning, so I understand the nervousness about that whole thing, especially now with this curbside service and having to wait in the car. But I've pretty much reached the end of my rope and I need more answers about the potential cause of his skin issues so I can find a solution, and hopefully, the biopsy does that. He's back at chewing his back paw, and his front, though he's left his legs alone for the most part. I just can't wait anymore, personally.

I hope Boo is doing okay and you find a solution that works for you! I would gladly tell you about my experience with his biopsy once it's done and I get the test results back if you want.

Good luck!

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! I haven't been on this thread in a while as I now post my thoughts and frustrations about Teddy's issues on the What's On My Mind Thread, but Teddy is currently going in for his biopsy next Tuesday morning, so I understand the nervousness about that whole thing, especially now with this curbside service and having to wait in the car. But I've pretty much reached the end of my rope and I need more answers about the potential cause of his skin issues so I can find a solution, and hopefully, the biopsy does that. He's back at chewing his back paw, and his front, though he's left his legs alone for the most part. I just can't wait anymore, personally.

I hope Boo is doing okay and you find a solution that works for you! I would gladly tell you about my experience with his biopsy once it's done and I get the test results back if you want.

Good luck!
Aw thanks. I wish you luck!! It's frustrating because my little one has a couple.good days I think it's getting better, then not, and it gets worse..up and down, up and down. Sounds like you might have it similar. I am questioning whether it is something called pemphigus folacious. Boo gets.little pink/dry spots.on belly and crust inside ears. I guess that's why they want to biopsy I think. Treatment is different for that than the pillow foot. Yes, I'd love to know how your experience goes! I'll try to find your other thread too. Hope all goes well with the biopsy and you get some answers!

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, G georgesgirl01 This thread can be reactivated or you can start one for Boo. I have not yet encountered pillow foot but I certainly want to be informed in case that I ever come across a cat suffering from it.
Thanks. I have started a thread about my issues with boo entitled, "plasma cell pododermatitis, or pemphigus folacious". I'm new here!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, so Teddy's biopsy went well. Not sure when we will know the results, but she took some samples from the lumps and crusties on his leg. He hasn't bothered his incision sight much, and only required two little sutures. It's looking fine today. No excessive swelling, no discharge or odor. The fact we were told to keep him from being too active for seven to ten days is ridiculous, though. He had so much pent up energy last night he was practically twitching. He unleashed it all on a kicker toy and thankfully didn't pull or rip anything. We are keeping Finny from wrestling with him, though, because he can be too rough sometimes, and Teddy is still limping and not a huge fan of running at the moment.

Before the tech took him in, I had to sign some papers (consent forums. Only two pieces of paper). If things were to go south and he ended up coding I had to put whether or not I wanted CPR to be performed on the paperwork. Not a comforting conversation, but I wouldn't let that scare you off from doing something that could help. Thankfully he's a healthy boy and he did perfectly fine.

He was at the vet for about five hours, which included putting him under anesthesia, prep, the biopsy itself, and then allowing him to wake up. They were also very busy, so that didn't help. He was so happy when he saw me he kept trying to nose boop me through the carrier's bars.

The night before he wasn't allowed to eat after twelve, which was pretty sad come morning when he was demanding breakfast. Eating was the only thing on his mind when he got home lol so I gave him a little bit of Evanger's wild-caught salmon. But his behavior was normal when he got home. He was ready to eat, play, and get lovins lol He also drank some water and went potty.

He did have a little fever due to his infected paw. I guess it's a pretty nasty infection and while the odor on his paw the last time find;t indicate an infection, this time it did. So he's back on antibiotics and steroids to help him heal. Hopefully after we get the test results back we'll have another solution and get this all cleared up because he is very behind on shots.

Overall not as scary as I thought it was gonna be. The worst part was waiting to hear how he did. This whole curbside thing has made me even more grateful that I found a trustworthy vet.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, the problems we are facing: Plasma Cell Pododermatitis, Pyoderma - Interdigital, Lymphadenopathy, Pruritic plaque, and Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (suspect).

It should be noted that this was from his last medical record on 4/14/20 so things could have very well changed, but I didn't receive an updated record after the biopsy. But these are the issues she had diagnosed him with at the time and until I get more updated information I am just going to assume not much as changed.

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience in detail. Doesn't sound bad at all. I'm glad it went well for him. I, too, have another cat that will want to pounce, and I'll have to separate too. That was helpful..thanks for sharing!!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience in detail. Doesn't sound bad at all. I'm glad it went well for him. I, too, have another cat that will want to pounce, and I'll have to separate too. That was helpful..thanks for sharing!!
You're very welcome! I hope if you decide to take the biopsy route it goes just as well.

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did the biopsy and she did great. The diagnosis was pemphigus folacious. Started predisolone therapy and saw improvements almost immediately. We are on day 5 now and I'm seeing skin on her paw pads again! She was in bad shape before the biopsy, i was nervous we were going to lose her in fact. Ended up with fever and hiding behind couch, not eating:( But she responded to the steroids like that day! No more hiding. Eating more and starting to play too. She is coming back to her old self slowly. I hope you are having good luck with your little one and have a diagnosis by now and have started treatment.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
G georgesgirl01

I'm glad everything worked out!

Teddy was officially diagnosed with EGC (Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex). His vet, unfortunately, doesn't have a game plan on how to treat it but told us to keep him on the steroids (something she isn't a fan of but is better than an immune suppressant) for now. They don't seem to be working as good as they used to and his left paw is swollen and infected again. I'm gonna use the topical spray the vet gave us a while back to hopefully clear the infection up without giving him antibiotics for the hundredth time.

I would love to find some all-natural anti-itch solution that actually works, so if anyone knows of one please let me know.

I bought some L-Lysine for immune support. Idk if that would help or not, but I'm so frustrated I could scream.