My Kitten Chews His Paws Raw

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has a bad case of acne right now (he just seems to have skin issues in general) but other than that his paws are much better. No word from the dermatologist. The vet looked a bit annoyed since the dermatologist usually calls back within a few days.

She doesn't like doing allergy tests until they reach a year old, so won't know if it's allergy related yet. But he's been off antibiotics for a while now and hasn't gotten worse so that's awesome.

How's BH?
I love it when Vet looks annoyed. Cruel as that sounds. It means they care though - so YAY! :cool:

I'm really glad to hear that Teddy's paws are much better! That is great news. Really, really great news! I bet he's feeling like a new man! I'm sure you're feeling much better about it to. Good job Mommy!

A word about allergy tests, and feel free to research it and ask here too, they are normally expensive and not accurate. I have a kitty with Allergies. He gets those warts on his lips, or used to. He's not had one in 10 months+. He has a food allergy. I think we have that licked now. In saying that it is still a battle with finding a good food that I can live with him having that is not going to trigger anything.

When I asks his vets about an allergy test. (I asked that out of desperation because doing food trials on him took 3 years before he would even accept a new food - no joke.) I was desperate for an easier way. They both told me it's a waste of time and money. The impression I got was they were liken it to snake-oil salesmen.

BH is doing good thank you. It's very, very slow improvement, but it's improvement. I'm battling to keep her tummy okay and poops good but that's to be expected almost.

XOXO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love it when Vet looks annoyed. Cruel as that sounds. It means they care though - so YAY! :cool:

I'm really glad to hear that Teddy's paws are much better! That is great news. Really, really great news! I bet he's feeling like a new man! I'm sure you're feeling much better about it to. Good job Mommy!

A word about allergy tests, and feel free to research it and ask here too, they are normally expensive and not accurate. I have a kitty with Allergies. He gets those warts on his lips, or used to. He's not had one in 10 months+. He has a food allergy. I think we have that licked now. In saying that it is still a battle with finding a good food that I can live with him having that is not going to trigger anything.

When I asks his vets about an allergy test. (I asked that out of desperation because doing food trials on him took 3 years before he would even accept a new food - no joke.) I was desperate for an easier way. They both told me it's a waste of time and money. The impression I got was they were liken it to snake-oil salesmen.

BH is doing good thank you. It's very, very slow improvement, but it's improvement. I'm battling to keep her tummy okay and poops good but that's to be expected almost.

XOXO
She definitely comes across as an animal lover. I don't get the in it for the money vibes from her.

Well he's certainly happy to not have tropical flavored medicine syringed into his mouth anymore lol

They are definitely expensive. I looked into home tests, and they cost like 300 bucks.

He eats good (Rawz, Tiki cat after dark, and feline natural), but he could be sensitive to an ingredient or a protein, if he even has a sensitivity at all. Who knows what causes his skin problems. But I'll take this over all the other issues he could have.

I'm glad to hear she's doing good. It definitely is a slow process. Teddy has been dealing with this since July.

Does Plasma cell Pododermatitis cause tummy upset? Or is it the medication? Teddy's poops have been normal.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad. As I've learned, sometimes good Vets can be hard to find.

LOl I bet he's happy about that!

Yes sadly allergy tests are pricey and because they are so inaccurate most of us forgo them and do trail an error. It's a sure way to sort it. Charlies food trials sorted him out. A few other issues arrived as a result, for example I don't like the food as it's higher in fat, but it did resolve his lip and him shredded his back legs.

You are correct, it can be anything in the food. There is where the challenge is.

Are you familiar with food trials at all?

Thanks, it's good to know you've been at this since July. Doing this is like watching paint dry and I have to remember to be patient. Hearing from someone else dealing with the same makes me relax a little.

IF the Plasma cell Pododermatitis is partially a food allergy or sensitively issue, yes, it can make tummy and bowels go a bit messed up. BH does have a sensitive tummy to changes, but, in this case, her runny poop is a potential side-effect form her meds. If I can't keep it somewhat stable then we will have to change them. Currently shes back and forth between diarrhea and soft poops. She's hydrated so we're okay for now. That could change quickly. So my eye is on her.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So while Teddy's paws seem to be doing okay, he now has dermatitis on his hind legs. He's going to the vet on the 30th for his shots and to get his legs checked out. Really wish I knew why he has so many skin issues. All I can think of is allergies.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was when it was raw, once it begins to heal it does go scabby / crusty. Can you grab a picture of it?

Everything I'm reading for Teddy and BH say that Plasma Cell pod... can be some sort of allergy- and cats, like people, can develop an allergy to anything... at any point in their life.

For Charlie we've determined the legs were a food issue as since his foods been changed. He now has a full head of hair so-to-speak.

BH I've not started yet with foods etc as I'm working on getting her through the healing portion first and some other small changes like washing everything in hypoallergenic soap.

I understand all to well how frustrating it is.

XOXOXOX

Last edited:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was when it was raw, once it begins to heal it does go scabby / crusty. Can you grab a picture of it?

Everything I'm reading for Teddy and BH say that Plasma Cell pod... can be some sort of allergy- and cats, like people, can develop an allergy to anything... at any point in their life.

For Charlie we've determined the legs were a food issue as since his foods been changed. He now has a full head of hair so-to-speak.

BH I've not started yet with foods etc as I'm working on getting her through the healing portion first and some other small changes like washing everything in hypoallergenic soap.

I understand all to well how frustrating it is.

XOXOXOX
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. I'm at work rn and the boys will be ready to play and eat when I get home. Not many good opportunities to snap a pic lol

It's a very frustrating condition, but as I've said, I'd much rather deal with this than heart problems or other health issues.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. I'm at work rn and the boys will be ready to play and eat when I get home. Not many good opportunities to snap a pic lol

It's a very frustrating condition, but as I've said, I'd much rather deal with this than heart problems or other health issues.
Take your time. I know how hard is is to take pictures sometimes! LOL Wild things!

It's very frustrating - and I agree, with all the other things that it could be... we've got off easy on this one in a way. Charlie, my first born, lots of issues. Heart is sadly one of many - but hopefully we can give them all a happy life for as long as we can and do our best to keep them healthy. :-)

It is so frustrating to not know how to make it better for them though.

Keep us up to date on Teddy. I love knowing how he's doing.

BH's paw is showing some improvement as well. Go us!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take your time. I know how hard is is to take pictures sometimes! LOL Wild things!

It's very frustrating - and I agree, with all the other things that it could be... we've got off easy on this one in a way. Charlie, my first born, lots of issues. Heart is sadly one of many - but hopefully we can give them all a happy life for as long as we can and do our best to keep them healthy. :-)

It is so frustrating to not know how to make it better for them though.

Keep us up to date on Teddy. I love knowing how he's doing.

BH's paw is showing some improvement as well. Go us!
My last kitty, Nico, had a lot of health issues as well, so I understand. He practically lived at the vet it seems, and was also physically handicapped (vision issues).
In the end he only lived to be a year and two months old before congestive heart failure took him away. I'd like to believe we have Nico and Charlie the best lives we could.

Yeah it is. So far his Pred has helped him stop biting, but once he's off it he starts up again.

I will!

I'm glad to hear she is showing improvement! :)

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So among the crusties on his legs, he also has a bump. I can move it so that's good, but it's just another skin issue added to the others. His appointment is tomorrow. I'm hoping the vet will let him get his shots because he's already so behind on them, but I have a feeling he'll be back on antibiotics :sigh:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I missed your last post. Some notifications get lost among all the others. Anyway, the vet still believes he has eosinophilic granuloma complex. He also has linear plaques. There seems to be a crusty in one of his front paws as he keeps lifting it up when sitting. Overall his paws are still looking good and other than the one, aren't the problem. His hind legs are. There has not been any improvement with that, but she didn't recommend a treatment yet as we were originally going to do a biopsy but at this moment I am unable to afford it with the holidays and since he hasn't gotten worse as far as I can tell he is back on the pred. I might ask if we could try a round of antibiotics to see if that would help manage things until I can do the biopsy.

His overall health, according to his last visit, was great as usual. It's just this dam dermatitis that's kicking us in the butt.

Hopefully after Christmas I can get the biopsy done. I'll have had two holiday pays and hopefully a raise by then, which will help alot.

How is BH doing on her journey?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show Me Your Kitties Show Me Your Kitties Same happens to me so no worries. I've lost a few posts, one or two I even started that I need to go search for lol.

I went back to Bravehearts Doctor notes as she was given an antibiotic prior to the diagnostics and wanted to see the reason so I could pass that to you. The reason was it was proactive until we got the results back from her biopsy and could determine a course of action.

I don't know the cost difference, or, if your vet brought this up, but I did read there was a less evasive method with good accuracy of diagnostics and that is a needle aspiration and a microscopic check for eosinophils? Have they brought that up. It wasn't an option for BH has we had to rule out cancer.

The linear plaques is no doubt part of it all, and from what I understand, also a symptom of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. The feet, the plaques etc. All symptoms of what's happening internally. So frustrating!

Very glad Teddy's overall health is good! That's a relief I bet!

BH just had her first ever bloodwork done and it all came back very good... accept for very, very low neutrophils, which, they suspect is from the meds and the pillow foot combined. A little worrisome tbh but that's me being overly worried no doubt.

Before the bloodwork came back we discussed some ways to boost her immune system so they've ordered a VitB complex for her. When it arrives, I'll post to you and let you know what kind as maybe that's something you can ask your Vet about for Teddy since this illness is all about auto-immune systems. Strengthening their immune systems I think is something we can work on doing to help them with this overall.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Show Me Your Kitties Show Me Your Kitties Same happens to me so no worries. I've lost a few posts, one or two I even started that I need to go search for lol.

I went back to Bravehearts Doctor notes as she was given an antibiotic prior to the diagnostics and wanted to see the reason so I could pass that to you. The reason was it was proactive until we got the results back from her biopsy and could determine a course of action.

I don't know the cost difference, or, if your vet brought this up, but I did read there was a less evasive method with good accuracy of diagnostics and that is a needle aspiration and a microscopic check for eosinophils? Have they brought that up. It wasn't an option for BH has we had to rule out cancer.

The linear plaques is no doubt part of it all, and from what I understand, also a symptom of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. The feet, the plaques etc. All symptoms of what's happening internally. So frustrating!

Very glad Teddy's overall health is good! That's a relief I bet!

BH just had her first ever bloodwork done and it all came back very good... accept for very, very low neutrophils, which, they suspect is from the meds and the pillow foot combined. A little worrisome tbh but that's me being overly worried no doubt.

Before the bloodwork came back we discussed some ways to boost her immune system so they've ordered a VitB complex for her. When it arrives, I'll post to you and let you know what kind as maybe that's something you can ask your Vet about for Teddy since this illness is all about auto-immune systems. Strengthening their immune systems I think is something we can work on doing to help them with this overall.
She hadn't mentioned that, no. The reason for the biopsy is to find the underlining cause and rule things out like allergies and cancer (though she personally doubts cancer is the cause. It doesn't hurt to check) and then find how to better treat it. I've been putting chamomile on his chewed spots as I heard the healing benefits it can have. I hope it helps his chewed parts heal.

It is frustrating. I feel like banging my head against the wall all the time lol

I'm glad her results mostly came back good. I'm a worrywart myself lol

I try giving him l lysine but it's hard when my mom is the one home and she ways forgets...

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies for any repeated suggestions.
1. Rule yourself out. Do you use cosmetics, lotions, soaps, shampoos, detergents, perfumes, etc. that could be causing this?
2. Rule out the lodgings. Do you use Lysol, Pinesol, air fresheners, anything that comes out of a can or bottle that is used to clean the house, etc.? Or anything "organic"? (You may know this, so sorry for the mansplainin', but organic doesn't mean nontoxic). Also, if you're in an apartment, is there any sort of fumigating going on that you are not aware of? Some people use diatomaceous earth to keep out bugs. That too.
3. I assume the vet did an X-ray? My cat had a vestigial bone on one of his wrists, and he'd gnaw himself bloody. It's unlikely, but your cat could have four bone outcroppings, one per foot. Or something along the nerve path so that the cat thinks it's at his foot.
4. Cat litter? Ask the vet about something hypoallergenic.
5. If with another cat, do they groom each other? The other cat's saliva could be triggering an allergic reaction.

I hope something in the list helps.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies for any repeated suggestions.
1. Rule yourself out. Do you use cosmetics, lotions, soaps, shampoos, detergents, perfumes, etc. that could be causing this?
2. Rule out the lodgings. Do you use Lysol, Pinesol, air fresheners, anything that comes out of a can or bottle that is used to clean the house, etc.? Or anything "organic"? (You may know this, so sorry for the mansplainin', but organic doesn't mean nontoxic). Also, if you're in an apartment, is there any sort of fumigating going on that you are not aware of? Some people use diatomaceous earth to keep out bugs. That too.
3. I assume the vet did an X-ray? My cat had a vestigial bone on one of his wrists, and he'd gnaw himself bloody. It's unlikely, but your cat could have four bone outcroppings, one per foot. Or something along the nerve path so that the cat thinks it's at his foot.
4. Cat litter? Ask the vet about something hypoallergenic.
5. If with another cat, do they groom each other? The other cat's saliva could be triggering an allergic reaction.

I hope something in the list helps.
Hi thanks for the reply and your suggestions!
Since you didn't read the whole thread I'll give you a quick breakdown of what has been going on :)

Teddy came to me with the problem so it started at his foster home. No idea if it's genetic or something there caused it and I'm still dealing with the aftermath. He lived with over 20 cats. Indoor and outdoor. His mom was ferral and two kittens in the foster home (unrelated) had the same issue with their paws, it just didn't last as long as far as I know.

Everything about Teddy's environment changed, including litter, food, toys, bedding, etc. His paws, besides a little crusty in one, have healed and cleared up so they are no longer the issue. Right now we are dealing with chewing on the hind legs, which have scabs and lumps called linear plaques.

The issue she diagnosed him with back then was Plasma cell Pododermatitis. that is still something she believes is an issue but she has added eosinophilic granuloma complex, and linear plaques, which could all be connected.

She did not seem concerned about the bones and didn't request an x Ray, though she does recommend a biopsy to determine whether the underlining cause is allergy, cancer or immune related.

We don't use any harsh or toxic chemicals in our house and my mom is very into homeopathic and holistic things. I research everything to make sure it's safe for cats and if it's not we try hard not to expose them to it (we wait until they are napping before mopping the floor or doing anything they shouldn't get into).

When we have bugs we use ant traps and sometimes diatomaceous earth. Neither of my cats go outside. No glue or poison traps for mice.

His adopted brother, Finny, who came from the same home, does groom him. I can't say if he's causing anything.

Right now my course of action is to get him the biopsy after the holidays and then go from there.

I personally feel like it's allergy related but I can't say anything for certain until he gets the biopsy.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She hadn't mentioned that, no. The reason for the biopsy is to find the underlining cause and rule things out like allergies and cancer (though she personally doubts cancer is the cause. It doesn't hurt to check) and then find how to better treat it. I've been putting chamomile on his chewed spots as I heard the healing benefits it can have. I hope it helps his chewed parts heal.

It is frustrating. I feel like banging my head against the wall all the time lol

I'm glad her results mostly came back good. I'm a worrywart myself lol

I try giving him l lysine but it's hard when my mom is the one home and she ways forgets...
So they are doing what BH vet did and being thorough. That's a good thing. *nods*

Chamomile is wonderfully soothing so it will help Teddy wanting to chew no doubt.

It is like banging your head for sure. I'm going to vote that the Doctors original thoughts are right - if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck - probably a duck. It's good to know with certainty though.

Yup worry warts of the world unite!

I think you are doing really well though. Teddy is on Lucky boy!

Please keep us posted. Been thinking about you guys.

XOXO

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So they are doing what BH vet did and being thorough. That's a good thing. *nods*

Chamomile is wonderfully soothing so it will help Teddy wanting to chew no doubt.

It is like banging your head for sure. I'm going to vote that the Doctors original thoughts are right - if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck - probably a duck. It's good to know with certainty though.

Yup worry warts of the world unite!

I think you are doing really well though. Teddy is on Lucky boy!

Please keep us posted. Been thinking about you guys.

XOXO
I've decided to schedule his biopsy after Thanksgiving because he's chewing his one leg pretty good and we put some salve on it and a Coban wrap to prevent further chewing at least for the time it stays on. It's not a bloody mess but it is a little raw and worse than I thought.

I'll get my holiday pay after Thanksgiving so I'll get what money I lost pretty much back, and I'm also almost done Christmas shopping early so it'll work out. I can't wait much longer to find a solution that will actually help him recover. I'll do what I can until then. Thanksgiving is not far ahead so I think we can make it.