My Kitten Ate Almost Half Of A Rubber Can Food Lid

Randyb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten of 8 months ate almost half of a rubber can food lid. I left for work and i left it out on the counter by accident and it had food still on it and she hopped up on the counter and ate into it. What should i do? She keeps puking but none of it will come up, just very little if any came up in her puke. She wont eat or drink.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is enough of a cause for alarm to get her to a vet - an emergency vet if you have to. Not trying to freak you out - but, better safe than sorry. Please let us know what happens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The amount she ate, if in small chunks, might not cause a blockage. BUT the fact that she's vomiting and not eating or drinking means something is very wrong! Get her to the vet right away!

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posts here on getting her to the vet for the immediate issue.

But I just wanted to add it is very unusual for a cat to eat plastic like this. There is a medical term for cats that do this (Pica) and it can point to a medical issue such as food deficiency or could even be stress related. My boy cat chews on plastic bags (but doesn't eat them) and it seems to just be a personality quirk for him (his mum does the same thing). We just have to be diligent at keeping all plastic bags shut away and making sure the edges of bin bags are tucked in to avoid any obstructions.

You should raise it with your regular vet to see if there's anything they want to check out related to it.

Sending good vibes! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Randyb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to the vet and the vet tried having her threw up some more to see if any would come up and nothing.so he said its past the stomach making its way out. So he gave us some medicine to keep her from throwing up and a strong laxative for her to take twice a day. She hasnt thrown up since yesterday and she has eaten some but she wants to be alone and sleep. Im worried about her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's been through the wringer!! No wonder she wants to left alone and sleep. What are you supposed to watch for, and how long are you to let it go on until you need to take her back to the vet? Kind of wish they would have done an x-ray, just to see what might be going on in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Randyb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we are watching and waiting for her to poop. we have another cat and they share the litter box so we are keeping them separated to find out if she poops or not. The vet said she should be fine and the pills are to last for four days so we are hoping for results with in that time period. We are to tablespoon of laxative twice a day as i stated. Im a little more relaxed since i work and my fiancé stays at home and she is eating a lot today and seems to be happier.