my kitchen colors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the link (thanks!) and it said apricot looks good with aqua...should I do the wall opposite from the aqua countertops, or paint the wall that has the countertops on them? (which wouldn't be very big) Now another dilemma, it's winter here. Do I have to wait till spring so I can open my windows? I don't want to fume out the animals!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told you APRICOT!!!!!!!!!!!
APRICOT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i missed my kitchen so much that i had to make my room apricotty!

do you mean blonde handles like peroxide hair blonde? If so... do you wonder if you could like dye it a violet colour?? (yes with hair dye)

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cabinets are blonde, the handles are silver...Wow, violet cabinets, apricot walls, and aqua countertops!? THAT would be funky!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say that light yellow is pretty with aqua...but since your cupboards are blond...how about a light peachy color? Or a light peachy pink?
Or if you want to go with a kitty theme, how about finding a border that has aqua and then pick out one of the other colors in the border to paint the walls?
Linda

percysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the apricot or peach with aqua, and the blonde cabinets could help with the choice of shade. get small cans of different shades of the color and paint posterboard, tape it to the wall near cabinets and counter, live with them a while and then pick your favorite.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I tried the link (thanks!) and it said apricot looks good with aqua...should I do the wall opposite from the aqua countertops, or paint the wall that has the countertops on them? (which wouldn't be very big) Now another dilemma, it's winter here. Do I have to wait till spring so I can open my windows? I don't want to fume out the animals!
are your walls currently painted w/oil based paint? because the latex really doesn't smell too much & dries really fast... i would paint ALL the walls because it pulls the room together. & if you're planning to use a border, choose that first, maybe one w/some apricotty hues that also looks good w/the cabinets. are they a vanilla blonde? i have some furniture from the 50s thats a real vanilla blonde, but i also have some that's kind of an olive blonde. that would make a difference. the posterboard idea is a really great one!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, today my friend at work suggested a tropical rainforest theme. What do you think of that? The aqua countertops look kinda tropical, and the blonde cupboards look bamboo-y....There are "stick-outs" for lack of a better word, that I could paint, and I was thinking, painting one wall and then behind the sink by the counters, and the stickouts. The rest of the walls can stay white, then it won't look too apricot-y. I could do a sponge paint to it too, to make it look textured?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you could definitely do some sponging. I have a feeling it could end up looking really busy in there though!
My preference would be to paint all the walls (I like the apricot suggestion rather than blue or green tones) add some shades that go with the cabinets, and maybe update the hardware. I also think that adding some aqua themed accessories would look good. You can get a lot of 50's style stuff in that colour.
Latex doesn't smell too bad, but wait till it's dry to the touch (4-6 hours) before opening the windows. I often use OdorEliminator, a product that neutralizes paint smells. Buy it at HomeDepot, not expensive. If you use a specific kitchen/bathroom paint, they do smell more because of the mildewcide in them. You don't have to use one, unless your kitchen is really enclosed.
Do go with a higher sheen than the usual eggshell finish. You'll find a satin/pearl or semi-gloss a lot easier to clean, and kitchens are a high traffic area.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I think I decided. I'm probably going to do the walls a light yellow, (maybe the "stickouts" a LIGHT green??) and it's going to be a tropical theme. I've been on Ebay and they have a TON of cool stuff, like big leaf dishes and cool wall hangings and stuff. I'll do the matchstick window shades or bamboo shades. This should be fun! Maybe I'll post before (ugh) and after (yay!) pictures!

Any more suggestions, now that I have a theme, would be wonderful!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

Ok, so I think I decided. I'm probably going to do the walls a light yellow, (maybe the "stickouts" a LIGHT green??) and it's going to be a tropical theme. I've been on Ebay and they have a TON of cool stuff, like big leaf dishes and cool wall hangings and stuff. I'll do the matchstick window shades or bamboo shades. This should be fun! Maybe I'll post before (ugh) and after (yay!) pictures!
looking forward to those pix - be sure to take some before pix too, yes!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I brought it back!
I just won my first tropical rainforest/jungle item on Ebay! It's called a "patchwork" elephant and it's an elephant (duh) that has like a patchwork of different wild animal patterns on it, like zebra, cheetah, etc...it's the perfect start to my new hobby! I'm so excited! Does anyone have any tropical ideas to share? I'm thinking to replace the knobs with bamboo-y ones and the bamboo shades and stuff, add some greenery too, but what else? I'll try to photobucket some pics so you have a better idea.