My Journey Towards Better Health

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi , how long did the surgeon say to keep your stitches dry even while you shower? And did they give you any waterproof bandages or coverings for just the showering part, to put over your stitches (then take off after showering)?

When my husband had his hip surgery, he couldn't shower for two days but then, for another week or so, we had to use waterproof bandages over his wound/stitches in the shower. We had to keep the area DRY, otherwise is wouldn't begin to heal (also, getting it wet in the shower especially while soaping/cleaning could risk more bacteria washing into the wound). We got bandages from the surgeon, but maybe there is one or two that would work for you here, if needed? The two transparent Nexcare ones are good
Waterproof Bandages for Swimming: Amazon.com

You could check w/ the surgeon or doctor to see if this is what might be an issue for your stitches(??) -- that it needs to be kept dry for a while till the healing of the wound is a bit more advanced? Didn't you have a second visit, where you were stitched up again? (I don't know if I am misremembering that or not)
:vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try and express to him that you're really concerned
I will, but he just likes to say Goodbye Forever.

are you scrubbing at it in the shower? You should not be scrubbing it-I know you like to be clean-it needs to be left alone until it heals better-did you put some neosporin on it? That will help kill any bacteria on it.
No, I don't scrub it. I just pat it with the washcloth that has sensitive skin body wash on it. Whenever I put any type of gel/ointment on it, it just gets worse.

how long did the surgeon say to keep your stitches dry even while you shower? And did they give you any waterproof bandages or coverings for just the showering part, to put over your stitches
He said I can shower normally and get the area wet. I think I showered a week too early though at the beginning. The paper said Tuesday, but I wasn't sure which Tuesday. I called him to ask, but he never called me back, so I showered.

Didn't you have a second visit, where you were stitched up again?
They stitched it up with an undissolvable stitch at the ER. I have to get that taken out today. I hope that doesn't ooze too, when he takes it out. It started to ooze below that stitch on Wednesday.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys must have sent me some prayers. My surgeon finally took an interest in me. He said that the ER did a crap job stitching me up and it got all infected. He said "Why didn't they just send you to me?" Well I thought he didn't want me! So he washed my wound out and packed it with some dressing. I have to go to the ER Sunday morning at 9am and have them call him down to redress my wound. I can't take showers for a while. :bawling: I have to go back to sponge bathing so I can keep the wound dry. I don't know for how long. He also put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

He asked how my mom was treating me. I told him that she has been really nice to me since Adult Protective Services came here. He said "Good."

My dad & I walked around Walmart, the asparagus is $1 cheaper there than at Price Chopper. The frozen asparagus costs the same as the fresh! So I will probably just buy fresh unless it looks terrible.

We went out to lunch at a cute sandwich shop. I got turkey & he got shaved bologna. The shaved bologna looks better than the regular kind.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh. I forgot. My dad's standard truck doesn't have a Park setting. So he put it in neutral and set the emergency break, with the truck still running. Then he came inside to get me. He goes back outside and the truck rolled down our huge hill! The license plate broke off, and we don't know what other damage it caused. So we took my mom's car today. It's a good thing his truck didn't cross the road and hit anybody!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys must have sent me some prayers. My surgeon finally took an interest in me. He said that the ER did a crap job stitching me up and it got all infected. He said "Why didn't they just send you to me?" Well I thought he didn't want me! So he washed my wound out and packed it with some dressing. I have to go to the ER Sunday morning at 9am and have them call him down to redress my wound. I can't take showers for a while. :bawling: I have to go back to sponge bathing so I can keep the wound dry. I don't know for how long. He also put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks. ...
:hugs:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The truck seems okay. Dad took it for a drive down the road. He put the license plate back on, the screws were just pulled out. And he cleaned off all the dirt and grass that were caked up on it from the bottom of the hill. So hopefully there is no serious damage. Lesson learned, don't leave the truck running by itself!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 20 pounds since I got out of the hospital the first time. It must have been water weight? They pumped so many bags of liquid into me through my IV. That extra weight was so hard on my back.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got home with my antibiotic, my mom grabbed it and read the side effects sheet out loud. :rolleyes3: Then she said "this is a horrible antibiotic, you will probably have a bad reaction to it because I can't take it and your grandmother couldn't take it. If I had picked up your prescription, I would have canceled it and insisted on them giving you a different antibiotic!"

This is exactly why she is banned from my medical affairs. The antibiotic is fine and I had zero reaction to it. I'm so glad to be in charge of my own medications! And my doctors are so glad not to have to witness her antics anymore.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blood pressure went up instead of down. It went from 143 to 145. Any tips on how to bring it down naturally?
Walking and exercise has long term benefits for lowering blood pressure. So as you continue to heal make sure you keep up with a nice walk everyday and eventually add some exercises with a little more oomph.
When walking, use your arms to pump even more blood around your body and pick up the pace, but of course only when you have healed enough to do so.

Be sure to keep your sodium (salt) intake down.

Eat good foods with potassium (in moderation). Potassium helps regulate sodium in the body. Potassium rich foods include.
Veggies : leafy greens, tomatoes, potatoes and sweet potatoes
Fruits: melons, bananas, avocados, oranges, and apricots
Dairy: Milk and yogurt
Tuna and Salmon
Nuts and seeds
Beans
Of course some of these foods are not appropriate for you just yet (seeds and beans), but soon you'll be able to start eating them when your insides have healed up well and your digesting food better.

Cut back on caffeine. Not sure how much you consume, but it acts pretty quick at raising blood pressure, so be sure you are not consuming any before going in to get your blood pressure checked.

Omega oils, such as fish oil, are good for heart health and can help lower blood pressure.

And while all of these are really good. I honestly think that your blood pressure is probably linked to stress and anxiety. So try your best to find ways to lower your stress.
You could try meditation and deep breathing.
Pick up a hobby that you really enjoy, like puzzles, or coloring, something that will allow you to concentrate on a specific task and allow your mind to let go of all the bull poop, even if just for a short while.

Perhaps if one of your stress triggers is directly related to going to the doctor (white coat syndrome), you could get your own blood pressure cuff, and take it yourself at home, when you're relaxed and at ease. Once you've established a few readings that are closer to normal it may help ease your mind, and in the end help you realize that your blood pressure is a stress response and not a serious medical issue you need to worry about as much.
Of course high blood pressure due to stress is concerning long term, but when you know that your readings are directly related to your stress, and you know that the act of getting it checked raises your stress levels, it can help ease the worry that it's not a medical problem like your heart, and may help keep your stress levels down the next time you have to see your doctor.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking and exercise has long term benefits for lowering blood pressure.
I haven't been walking much since this trouble with my stitches. I just keep picturing my guts falling out...I know I need to be more active.

Of course some of these foods are not appropriate for you just yet (seeds and beans)
My surgeon said I can eat whatever I want now, except for my hot sauce. I can't remember if he said I could have fried foods or not. I haven't yet.

Cut back on caffeine
I haven't had any coffee or tea since I came home. I seem to have lost my taste for it. I just drink water and Ensure.

Some take magnesium citrate to lower blood pressure.
Hmmm….You might be right. I stopped taking my vitamins when I went into the hospital. Before all this, I took a Multivitamin and a Calcium/Magnesium tablet every day. Maybe I'll try taking my vitamins again and see how I feel.