My Journey Towards Better Health

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I missed you around here but I didn't think anything that bad had happened! Glad you got it sorted out, now it's about keeping the improvements going. And recovering. Staples, ouch!

Walkers are adjustable, maybe get one labeled for men if they have different kinds. 5' 9" isn't unusually tall so you should be able to find something. Many canes are adjustable too, but not all. If it has little metal pushbuttons on it, then it's adjustable. You can ask the nurse how to do it the next time you see one.

Medicaid should cover everything you need, once you get it all sorted out. Talk to your caseworker and the nurses. Call them about anything, even if you think you're being a pain. They're used to it :D. And the important thing is to get you well.

Also talk to them about talk therapy. They probably have plans for that, but ask them about it anyway. Besides dealing with the anorexia, it will help you to set boundaries with your parents too. Until then, maybe check out r/raisedbynarcissists on Reddit (I'd link but I don't think links to other social sites are allowed). It might give you some clarity on how to deal with your mom.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brothers think it might be some form of dementia
Hoarding is an anxiety disorder caused by the need and desire to keep all objects for sentimental value. Your parents need to get some professional help, preferably someone who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. Since your mom has already admitted a problem, this is the time. If not, then even after dumping stuff, it's not going to fix the problem and the house will fill up again. Without the proper help and/or anxiety/psychotic drugs, this will get bad. When a hoarder loses an item, it causes extreme stress and anxiety and can turn bad very quickly.

On another note, good for you for taking a stand and getting your records. Keep up the good work and get better. I am rooting for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides dealing with the anorexia,
I'll never do that again. I had no idea it rots your body like that. :eek3:

Walkers are adjustable, maybe get one labeled for men
Good idea. It seems the only tall people in town are me and men.

Medicaid should cover everything you need
I see them Friday.

Also talk to them about talk therapy.
Yes, my doc that did my surgery said I'm sending you to Psych because my mom and I argued about blood transfusions for hours while he just wanted to get in there and save my life. I got the transfusions.

When a hoarder loses an item, it causes extreme stress and anxiety and can turn bad very quickly.
I don't get it, it's just junk. She kept our clothes from Kindergarten and I threw them away. She screamed and said she wanted to wash them and give them away. They were threadbare!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi you are in my thoughts. I have no ideas to help with the surgery aspect. But 16 years ago I survived anorexia. At my lowest point I was 88 pounds. I never needed surgery but I was hospitalized for medical conditions from anorexia. Definitely try therapy and don’t even think one day at a time think 1 minute at a time. It will be hard to eat like a normal person. I made me physically ill. I found eating many little meals at the beginning of my recovery was better. My most sincere thoughts, love and, if you pray, prayers. We’ve got this girl. We are strong and will overcome. I’m here if you ever need a shoulder. ♥♥♥♥

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it, it's just junk. She kept our clothes from Kindergarten and I threw them away. She screamed and said she wanted to wash them and give them away. They were threadbare!
You and I don't get it. But it is a mental disorder and just throwing stuff away can cause real mental harm to your parents. Try to convince them to seek professional help so this can stop.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not allowed to eat my hot sauce collection. Maybe never again. I would love a pineapple pizza right now. But I had a few glasses of lactose free milk last night and it was a total disaster. I don't know why.
Unfortunately anorexia changes what you can and can’t eat. Even if it sounds appealing it can wreak havoc on your system. Do they have you seeing a nutritionist?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had a nurse talk to me when they discharged me about some soups that sounded good.
Soups, yogurt and cottage cheese was also on the list. Any seeds and nuts were a no-no. Also, stay away from fried foods. You will get there eventually, but for now, stay away. Once I could eat solid foods again, I started with baked chicken. Take it slow so your gut can heal. You will be better soon.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Medicaid can help you get a place of your own so you can heal without all the stress.
I have state medicaid, because I'm poor and mostly disabled. Trust me, Medicaid doesn't pay for much. Medical bills and emergency dental only. They wouldn't even pay for a cast or boot when I broke my leg, because it wasn't sticking through the skin (or something like that). If M maggiedemi 's medicaid will pay for a bed or new home, then I'm moving to that state.

However, we are here for you M maggiedemi .

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoarding is an anxiety disorder caused by the need and desire to keep all objects for sentimental value. Your parents need to get some professional help, preferably someone who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. Since your mom has already admitted a problem, this is the time. If not, then even after dumping stuff, it's not going to fix the problem and the house will fill up again. Without the proper help and/or anxiety/psychotic drugs, this will get bad. When a hoarder loses an item, it causes extreme stress and anxiety and can turn bad very quickly.

On another note, good for you for taking a stand and getting your records. Keep up the good work and get better. I am rooting for you.
I'll catch up on this thread when I have some time but just wanted to chime in on this...

I strongly agree with kashmir64 kashmir64 - My dad is a hoarder and the house is filled up with junk he doesn't use. He's been saying for years he'll get rid of them but the house has continued to pile up with stuff. It's gotten to the point where there is hardly room in the basement to walk. The upper levels are also starting to pack up with junk. I tried to throw things out once and he had a severe breakdown. He didn't talk to me and treated me poorly for a long time over it.

My mom and I always try to throw out as much as we can when he's on vacation or at work but it hasn't helped much. He still brings things home and swears up and down he needs it, even if it's old and doesn't work. His work place is also crowded with junk and he refuses to sell, strap, or get rid of anything.

So, yeah, my point is throwing things out won't help. The person themselves need help. I could have given my dad a stroke the way he was mad over me throwing his things out so it isn't worth the trouble handling the situation that way.