My Insensitive Aunt

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After church today, I asked my aunt to pray for my moggy, whom the vet thinks has spinal lymphoma ( we don't know for sure as we declined an MRI). Instead of saying she would, she said " You should focus on God" and said that animals have no spirits or souls. :bawling2:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't get into the whole soul thing, that is a higher paygrade then mine. They are however living creatures who deserve compassion, that is not something that can be disputed. The Catholic church has a Saint for animals, St Francis of Assisi. Along with caring for the poor he also cared for animals. The Catholic and some Lutheran churches actually have Blessing services for animals. People bring their pets to be blessed.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wombat, I don't honestly know if animals have souls, but it sounds like your aunt might be lacking one. I think your aunt and mine might be evil twins separated at birth. Welcome to the family! :wave3:

Regardless of the soul issue, I choose to believe that God loves all of the creatures he created, both human and animal. I often pray for my cats when I am worried about one of them, especially with their health issues. I wil say a little prayer for your kitty too.

That is interesting about the blessing services for animals, Denice. I am Lutheran, and I have never heard of that, but it sounds nice.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quite a few Lutheran churches in this area have Blessings for animals, maybe it is something that started in this area rather then being a formal part of the Lutheran denomination. It is a formal part of the Catholic church, it is tied to the veneration of St Francis of Assisi.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Catholic church has a Saint for animals, St Francis of Assisi
They also have Saint Gertrude of Nivelles, patron saint of cats, among other things. Her Saint Day is shared with Saint Patrick.

I also will not get into the whole thing about souls, animal or human, other than to say that it is not unusual for a follower of the Bible to believe that animals do not have eternal souls and that churches who have blessings for pets do so for the same reason that they bless rings, ships, and whatever else.

I do not know your aunt, but it could be that she is just expressing her religious beliefs as it is taught. I am not saying it was okay for her to say it. She should have just kept her mouth shut considering how upset you are.) If she is normally a rude, nasty person, why speak with her or seek comfort from her?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
May lightning strike her self-righteous soul (if she has one). It's obvious she's never loved or known the love of an animal. Ignore her heartlessness. She's not worth you or your cat's time.

You can be very sure those here know cats have souls and we'll all keep your moggy in our thoughts and hopes. Believe me, our numbers outpower her cruelty.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other Churches have blessing for animals too. The Bible does have some passages that say that we should care for our animals. I believe that every creature was put here for a reason, carries a special ,” energy” and to me, that is their soul. I believe even science acknowledges that life forms contain energy which is not ever destroyed but simply transformed. I know everyone has their own view about this. I think we sell all creatures short. They know far more and are far more than humans give them credit for. I hope your kitty will be okay. I would certainly be willing to add a prayer for your Moggy.. Try to keep in mind that you might need to add a prayer for your Aunt. It sounds like she has missed one of the greatest things we can experience. The love of a kitty. Sometimes it’s hard to forgive thoughtless words but they usually come from those who lack something we have. Understanding.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I base "soul" in feelings or emotions. Since animals like dogs and cats are sentient beings with the capacity to feel the way humans do, I know in my heart they have "souls". We all have different opinions, but at the end of the day what matters most is how we treat our pets, and how we should give them the best life they so truly deserve.

I pray for my pets everyday, that they be safe from harm and hurt, like how I pray for my family. I also do not know your aunt, but clearly she lacks understanding of how our pets react and return back our love and friendship. I believe she needs to be prayed over, too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
W wombat Don't worry about her. She can stew in her own self-righteous pot. I used to get upset when people said stupid things, but now, I consider the person and then let it go. (When Da-Pumpkin Boy died, one of my former co-workers said, "Cripes, it's a cat! For God's sake!" And I might add that this person is a so-called god-fearing Christian who is quite sure she's going to heaven. I haven't spoken to the woman since. Of course, she didn't have the guts to tell me that, but she told everybody else in the building.) IMO, some of the so-called Christians are among the most evil and ignorant people. As you can tell, I don't have a lot of time for organized religion.

I hope your baby will be OK. :hugs:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ignore your aunt. She is probably just going along with her first religious beliefs. The older ways of thinking is that animals do not have souls and cannot go to heaven.

That is not true anymore. While, I do not know if the Church believes that animals have souls, but I think they are more lenient about them being senescent beings.

I am a Catholic. I will tell you a story.

After my dad died, our local beloved priest came to make a home visit, to see how I was doing. He came for coffee and just to chat.

I had adopted Artie, about a month, earlier. The Priest asked if I wanted him to "bless" my apartment. Of course I agreed.

As He was was walking through the rooms, sprinkling Holy Water, saying a prayer; Artie was going after the drops of Holy Water.

Fr XXX looked, laughed and said, "Oh, You want to be blessed also?" Then he proceeded to bless Artie. I was shocked, and embarrassed. Father XX just laughed.

So things have changed.
Ignore your aunt.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry that you had to endure your aunt's rude and uncaring behavior. :hugs: I know it's easier said than done but try to ignore her comment(s) and move on. Your moggy needs you and that's all that matters. :hearthrob:

Awhile back when we adopted an 8 month old kitten our daughters were so excited to show him to my husband's sister when she visited. Her first words were, "oh, you got another one of those!" Neither my husband, my daughters or I have ever forgotten her remark. However, we feel it is her loss to not understand or know the unconditional love that comes from our animals. :lovecat2:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ignore your aunt. She is probably just going along with her first religious beliefs. The older ways of thinking is that animals do not have souls and cannot go to heaven.

That is not true anymore. While, I do not know if the Church believes that animals have souls, but I think they are more lenient about them being senescent beings.

I am a Catholic. I will tell you a story.

After my dad died, our local beloved priest came to make a home visit, to see how I was doing. He came for coffee and just to chat.

I had adopted Artie, about a month, earlier. The Priest asked if I wanted him to "bless" my apartment. Of course I agreed.

As He was was walking through the rooms, sprinkling Holy Water, saying a prayer; Artie was going after the drops of Holy Water.

Fr XXX looked, laughed and said, "Oh, You want to be blessed also?" Then he proceeded to bless Artie. I was shocked, and embarrassed. Father XX just laughed.

So things have changed.
Ignore your aunt.
I miss that handsome boy.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
After we had to put Simon down May of 2014 because of stomach cancer I was on the phone with a neighbor who knew he was sick and asked me about him, and of course I got very emotional when telling her that I held him as they put him down, and when she went to put her husband on the phone who was the person that I really wanted to talk to I could hear her say in a very condescending voice "and DON'T ask him about the cat!" I know we are supposed to forgive and forget but I think I will remember that statement as long as I live, she could've at least put the phone against her body when she said it so I wouldn't hear her, and they have dogs but when one of them dies she doesn't seem to mourn about it, has the attitude that "they're just animals".

:censored: :cringe: :headshake:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W wombat Don't worry about her. She can stew in her own self-righteous pot. I used to get upset when people said stupid things, but now, I consider the person and then let it go. (When Da-Pumpkin Boy died, one of my former co-workers said, "Cripes, it's a cat! For God's sake!" And I might add that this person is a so-called god-fearing Christian who is quite sure she's going to heaven. I haven't spoken to the woman since. Of course, she didn't have the guts to tell me that, but she told everybody else in the building.) IMO, some of the so-called Christians are among the most evil and ignorant people. As you can tell, I don't have a lot of time for organized religion.

I hope your baby will be OK. :hugs:
I totally agree, especially with the last paragraph.