My gray/blue cat

Bryndala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, Hi, found a cat few weeks ago no chip. Nobody claiming her. This cat is so different than all the other cats i have owned. I know she isnt going to be Russian Blue since there rare. And I found her.Is there another type of cat in Siamese family that she could be? Or not Siamese related at all? She is all grey/Blue. But tips are lighter or silver and the first layer of it is white. She has short hair but doesnt shed. She has black nose mauve paws tail is very faintly striped and a little darker grey.her Big eyes are yellow/copper green around pupils. She loves playing a lot she and chases anything. When she not playing or sleeping she chasing me around talking non stop for more food She try n eats scraps lettuce off plate. She is extremely smart.Her behavior like a dog almost she loves to play ball with my toddler. Sorry so long, In every picture her grey hair and face looks different so i will try and send couple. Thank-you!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bryndala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesnt even sit like all the cats I have had! Anyways thanks in advance. Idc about the breed. She is just so different than anything I have ever seen especially behavior that im curious if its due to breed and if so I want to find out more about her. or not.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She does have some features that are similar to a Russian Blue, but she can't be purebred because Russians have brilliant green eyes, no other color. She does not appear to have any Siamese in her. Siamese are pointed cats, meaning the cooler points--face, ears, tail, legs--are a darker color than the body. Also, all pointed cats have blue eyes.

Without a known pedigree she is considered a Domestic Shorthair.

When you say the first layer of her coat is white, do you mean each hair has white at the root and blue on the tips? If so, her color/pattern is blue smoke. The smoke pattern can occur in many different breeds, so I'm afraid that doesn't help much in identifying her.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your cat as a blue domestic shorthair. She is beautiful!

The genes that produce the solid blue color are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, so the blue color does not indicate any specific breed ancestry. Blue cats often have silver-tipped fur; this seems to be related to the dilute (blue) gene itself. I am not seeing a close resemblance to the Russian Blue breed in these pictures. Where are you located? In some countries, Russian Blues look a bit different (although they always have green eyes, never copper).

I am not sure what you mean by the first layer of the coat being white. Do you mean the undercoat, when you part the hairs? Is it actually white, or is it just a lighter gray color? Or do you mean that your cat has white spots on the chest and/or belly?

I understand why you might think she would have some Siamese ancestry, since she has a long narrow head shape, especially in the last picture you posted. It's possible, but it is more likely that she just has her own unique collection of genes from the domestic cat gene pool. Most cats are not any particular breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bryndala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has white roots and then thick layer of blue and tips are a silvery/ not white tho. I was hoping there was another relation to Siamese like Blue Russian that is not rare, and more common with blue coat, green around pupil, black noses, mauve paws, doesnt shed etc. So I could see a picture and be like thats my cat! Cuz i thought she was Blue Russian when they showed pics of them but when i read there expensive and rare and I know im not going to just find on street. Maybe some cousin or sister of blue russian/ siamese that common and not rare that she could fit in. But I get it now anything without papers would be domestic. Thanks so much for all help!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has white roots, her color is blue smoke, as mentioned by GoldyCat GoldyCat .

Most of the characteristics you mention (blue coat, green around pupil, black nose, mauve paws) don't indicate breed ancestry... the nose and paw pad colors go along with the blue color, and the eye color in a blue domestic cat can be anywhere from copper to green.

She's a lovely cat with her own unique set of features. She doesn't need to be a rare breed to be special :) Enjoy her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The overall body looks reminds much about looks of a russian blue. Yes.
But Eye color is wrong for this. RB tend also to be even more slender. And IF she is a blue smoke at that...

There is always some possibility she is a very pet quality RB, where the breeder sold her cheaply or in other ways got rid of her, because she is so "very pet quality". Not because there is any wrong on her as such - as we see there isnt,- but because she was impossible to sell as a pure bred RB.... And the breeder didnt wanted to have this speck on his name...
Another possibilitity may be a natural dau.

So. She is a domestic shorthair, alike most other cats. With some likeness to a rb. Very nice and pretty!

But if its important for you to fancy her as a very pet quality RB, "the lost dau of the Queen" as in the sagas - you may do so, its OK. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is a blue smoke, there is no way that she could be a pet quality Russian Blue, as that is a dominant gene.