my girl went completely blind last night, how do I best help her?

scullynmaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She normally spends very little time on the floor - her bed is on a chair beside my bed, or she sits in the window perch. Right now she isn't navigating very well, and if I don't watch her constantly she'll walk right off the bed. I know I should put her on the floor but it is so drafty there and she's an old girl (17, almost 18). I am so tired and need to get some sleep, but I'm afraid to stop watching over her.

Any tips on how to deal with this if she doesn't get better?  (Long story, but she had a similar episode in November and after many tests and a neurological evaluation, they gave me antibiotics to treat any possible infection, and she made a full recovery.)  But I have to sleep before the vet opens, I've been awake all night.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you put her in her carrier and put it up somewhere high so she'll be out of the draft?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scullynmaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Could you put her in her carrier and put it up somewhere high so she'll be out of the draft?
I moved the chair and put her bed on the floor and she jumped up on the bed anyhow.  So I just put it all back and let her sleep where she always does.  I don't think I slept much, but while I did she seemed to get along fine.  I closed the bedroom door so she couldn't go out, and I think she slept while I slept. She's been sleeping all night tonight, too.  She is navigating better most of the time but when she first wakes up she's confused and a little fearful.  

Thank you for the suggestion, though, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope she recovers from this. Have you taken her to the vet yet? I wonder if another course of antibiotics would help.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put rolled towels or pillows around the edge of the bed and on the floor? She might fall off at first but if she learns where the edge is, maybe she won't anymore.