My general advice for everyone regarding nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This forum is intended as a place where anyone can come and learn about feline nutrition. There is a great deal of useful information here and people are free to search and learn and take what information they feel is relevant to them and their cats.

As with anything, people won't always have the same opinion and there's nothing wrong with healthy debate or discussions. We have forum rules requiring a certain level of civility; that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with each other or not express their own opinion.

The more experiences shared the better! And some members have a great deal of experience to share and information garnered from a variety of verifiable sources that can prove very educational for us all.

As for when things get a little heated around here, perhaps we should all heed Yayi's advice:
And perhaps people need to be more tactful when voicing their opinion. Or the other way around, people need to be less sensitive when hearing others' opinions.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do you mind if I ask what they taught on the subject? Was it sponsored by a food company or just a general course on nutrition, with what cats need to eat and why? 
My program (Vet Technician) is very much biased and sponsered by pet food and big pharma companies.    Next quarter is there is a class about nutrition and I already can guess how well that is gonna go.  Considering dogs are apparently omnivores, cats need carbs, all animals should eat dry food, etc.  Most of the powerpoints for the other classes were made by Hills.  Pathetic.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not complaining but it is interesting you go there right away.  It just goes to prove my point.  This shouldn't be a place to attack people.  And people shouldn't expect to be attacked.  We all love cats.  That is why we are here... True?  Well, it's a SUGGESTION only, not just here but all the boards that we try to be a little more consciencious about our posts or replys and how they come across.  This board especially comes across as very judgemental and negative a lot of the time. 

It's not a bad forum at all. It could help not only US all but the site and the kitties especially if we could try to be more supportive and friendly and not so condescending and negative.  That is all. 
P3, I know you had the best of intentions in starting this thread. I agree that it isn't always what we say, but how we say it. I have to disagree with you about LDG though. I have been around awhile and have never seen a cross word or even a negative inflection from her! I honestly believe she was just asking for clarification by means of the thread(s) you were referring to.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P3, I know you had the best of intentions in starting this thread. I agree that it isn't always what we say, but how we say it. I have to disagree with you about LDG though. I have been around awhile and have never seen a cross word or even a negative inflection from her! I honestly believe she was just asking for clarification by means of the thread(s) you were referring to.

cinderflower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every single thing you do--EVERYTHING--somebody will disagree with it. If you're secure in your belief (which you should be, if you're going to spend your life believing it), you don't care what other people think. But it's good to challenge yourself now and then to make sure you believe what you believe for the right reasons. And that's what forum discussions are for. If you don't enjoy the discussions, don't participate in them
^^^THIS
This shouldn't be a place to attack people.  And people shouldn't expect to be attacked.  We all love cats.  That is why we are here... True?  Well, it's a SUGGESTION only, not just here but all the boards that we try to be a little more consciencious about our posts or replys and how they come across.  This board especially comes across as very judgemental and negative a lot of the time. 
it's a message board on the internet.  you're liable to get anything.  anyone posting or asking for advice should take that into consideration before anything else.  just because someone says something online doesn't make it so--you usually have  no idea who you're talking to.  interpretation is more difficult because there is no body language, no facial expressions and no vocal inflections.  just say what you have to say, in a polite way (or to the best of your ability) and let the chips fall where they may.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the know-it-all attitude regarding a topic like this is a direct reflection of a lack of knowledge of the scientific analysis of complex, multivariate systems.
This is a publicly accessible forum where *anyone* is welcome to post either questions or answers to the questions of others. There should be no presumption of expertise, scientific or otherwise, on the part of anyone posting nor should it be required.

A forum like this is like a bunch of people sitting around a table drinking coffee and expounding on the wonders of the universe. Yes, some people are going to provide sound, factual information and others are going to be full of sh*t. Anyone who doesn't understand this,and I think most do, are the same people who will buy a stock based on the recommendation of a complete stranger at a party and without doing their due diligence. So be it.

The moderators, with the guidance of the site owner, are the sole judges of whether posts are appropriate or not.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, first I never said or accused LDG of being cross or negative... I was speaking as in general, not naming any one person. 

But, to the point there are some that do just that- pick apart posts and miss the point or try to turn it around into something it's not or make it irrelevant just so they can be right.  I understand this is an internet site but I think the "voice" of the forum could be a little less condescending and judgemental and less "know-it-all".  I understand everyone is going to have their own opinions and that they won't always agree but I think a lot of times, it becomes something it is not and things turn ugly... I think it turns a lot of potential members off and drives a lot of people away.  I just think we could be a little more supportive and respectful of others even if we don't agree with or like what they post is all. 

It is just something to think about.  And I wasn't directing that at any particular one person, either, just to be clear. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not complaining but it is interesting you go there right away.  It just goes to prove my point.  This shouldn't be a place to attack people.  And people shouldn't expect to be attacked.  We all love cats.  That is why we are here... True?  Well, it's a SUGGESTION only, not just here but all the boards that we try to be a little more consciencious about our posts or replys and how they come across.  This board especially comes across as very judgemental and negative a lot of the time. 
I am so sorry you feel this way and I honestly do not think this forum comes across as negative and/or judgemental. In fact, this is a public forum and as we all know, we are all individuals with differing ideals and opinions. Becoming part of public forum, cat or otherwise, you are going to get varying and opposing opinions on certain subjects. It is how you take those "opposing" opinions to yours that will make you a happy or crabby member. Not all people will agree. If we all did agree on everything, then what is the purpose of the forum :lol3: It would be so "bland". I don't know of many people here on this forum that are out right looking to be argumentive but I do know of some that try to "stir the pot" :lol2: Like everything else in life, you have to take the good with the bad and pick your battles accordingly, so to speak. Try not to fret over the little stuff. Sometimes things are better left unsaid if someone can't take the fall out. (and I am not directing this at you :), just stating IMO a fact :D ....)

It's not a bad forum at all. It could help not only US all but the site and the kitties especially if we could try to be more supportive and friendly and not so condescending and negative.  That is all. 
I am going to take the above as a positive statement :nod:, even though it has a bit of negative to it.....I agree with you totally, this IS a GOOD (opposite of bad :)) forum. and people are very supportive, friendly and want (and try) to be very helpful without being condescending all at the same time. Unfortunately, being overly helpful to some, might appear as being condescending or patronizing. :sigh: We can't please everyone, but we sure try :D :lovegrin: :bigthumb: AND, yes, we all love cats and that is what brought us to this forum! :clap: :rub: :clap: :rub: ;)

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by P3 and The King  

Um, first I never said or accused LDG of being cross or negative... I was speaking as in general, not naming any one person. 

But, to the point there are some that do just that- pick apart posts and miss the point or try to turn it around into something it's not or make it irrelevant just so they can be right.  I understand this is an internet site but I think the "voice" of the forum could be a little less condescending and judgemental and less "know-it-all".  I understand everyone is going to have their own opinions and that they won't always agree but I think a lot of times, it becomes something it is not and things turn ugly... I think it turns a lot of potential members off and drives a lot of people away.  I just think we could be a little more supportive and respectful of others even if we don't agree with or like what they post is all. 

It is just something to think about.  And I wasn't directing that at any particular one person, either, just to be clear. 
Of course you are welcome to your opinion but in my opinion the "voice" of this forum is neither condescending nor judgemental. And I can't recall ever seeing anyone "pick apart posts and miss the point or try to turn it around into something it's not or make it irrelevant just so they can be right". Since you decline to provide specific examples I have to come to the conclusion that you are simply misinterpreting some posts. 

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you are welcome to your opinion but in my opinion the "voice" of this forum is neither condescending nor judgemental. And I can't recall ever seeing anyone "pick apart posts and miss the point or try to turn it around into something it's not or make it irrelevant just so they can be right". Since you decline to provide specific examples I have to come to the conclusion that you are simply misinterpreting some posts. 
Well, take your pick if you need examples, especially in this part of the forum.  Maybe that's just my point of view but I know it's not.  I've heard from a few, who shall be nameless that agree with me on this.  But, I guess it's all how you view it.   A lot of times many of us are much braver behind a computer and say things we know are mean just to be mean.  I am just saying that we should try to see how our replies or feedback might look to someone else is all.  I'm not saying make nice and we have to agree with everyone but we do have to be respectful and try to remember that we are all here for a common bond- the cats- they don't benefit if we drive people away.  

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, take your pick if you need examples, especially in this part of the forum.  Maybe that's just my point of view but I know it's not.  I've heard from a few, who shall be nameless that agree with me on this.  But, I guess it's all how you view it.   A lot of times many of us are much braver behind a computer and say things we know are mean just to be mean.  I am just saying that we should try to see how our replies or feedback might look to someone else is all.  I'm not saying make nice and we have to agree with everyone but we do have to be respectful and try to remember that we are all here for a common bond- the cats- they don't benefit if we drive people away.  
Again you decline to provide specific examples. Again I think you are simply misinterpreting posts.

Online forums can be intimidating. Misinterpreting what are actually well meaning posts as being "mean", "judgemental", whatever,  is going to happen. I can see how that might "drive away" some sensitive people. I think the moderators do an excellent job of making sure that as far as is reasonably possible given the difficulty of written communications that people are respectful. 

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 LDG is the exact opposite of negative and judgemental, in fact there are very few people like that here that I have ever seen! I've always received thoughtful, informed, and concerned advice at TCS, from LDG and everyone else.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again you decline to provide specific examples. Again I think you are simply misinterpreting posts.

Online forums can be intimidating. Misinterpreting what are actually well meaning posts as being "mean", "judgemental", whatever,  is going to happen. I can see how that might "drive away" some sensitive people. I think the moderators do an excellent job of making sure that as far as is reasonably possible given the difficulty of written communications that people are respectful. 
Well, you are entitled to your opinion as well.  I don't think examples are needed here.  That's my stance on it.  I am not going to dredge up unwanted bitterness.

Swampwitch, you need to read all the post, thank you for your concern but I in no way was referring to or saying LDG is negative. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you are entitled to your opinion as well.  I don't think examples are needed here.  That's my stance on it.  I am not going to dredge up unwanted bitterness.
It's difficult to understand what you hope to accomplish with this thread. I don't think anyone sits down and says "I'm going to write a judgmental post." If you aren't willing to give specific example posts you consider judgmental, or whatever, how are the people you are referring to going to know that your criticism is aimed at them? I mean, they are just going to continue on as usual assuming that you are referring to someone else. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This forum is intended as a place where anyone can come and learn about feline nutrition. There is a great deal of useful information here and people are free to search and learn and take what information they feel is relevant to them and their cats.

As with anything, people won't always have the same opinion and there's nothing wrong with healthy debate or discussions. We have forum rules requiring a certain level of civility; that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with each other or not express their own opinion.

The more experiences shared the better! And some members have a great deal of experience to share and information garnered from a variety of verifiable sources that can prove very educational for us all.

As for when things get a little heated around here, perhaps we should all heed Yayi's advice:
And perhaps people need to be more tactful when voicing their opinion. Or the other way around, people need to be less sensitive when hearing others' opinions.
An excellent post here by pushylady. I'm not as polite as she is. See the part I bolded? This thread has turned into nitpicking and pointing fingers. It doesn't help in anyway educate people in nutrition and will now be closed.

I think we ALL need to work on respecting fellow members. If you feel you can't play nice and be respectful to someone on the boards either PM them or walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.