My friend's cat isn't eating

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend asked me to help look after her male ragdoll (1-2 years old) for 2 weeks and brought him over yesterday night at about 8.30pm. Its been about 24 hours since he arrived and all he does is hide under the bed or in any random crevice he can fit into occasionally coming out to explore. He was also meowing a lot, seeking attention and jumping on and off my bed while i was asleep last night. I was told that he last consumed food more than 24 hours ago (Maybe even more). Initially, he refused to use the litter box as well eat eat or drink but he just peed when she came over. Is there anything i can do to make him eat something? I read online that something has to be done if they go 36 hours without food and i am kind of starting to get worried. What should i do?

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about the stress you're feeling about your friend's cat not eating. It is not uncommon for a cat to hide and/or not eat much when first brought to a new home. The fact that your friend around (not away) is good, as possibly her visiting him will calm him enough to eat something.

You're right about cats needing to eat. TCS has a couple articles with more info on that, which I'll post the links to.

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite

Plus one more that might be helpful. Oh, quick question, had you met the cat before?

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite

Good luck. Please keep us updated.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be adjusting as he was taken to a whole new surrounding all of a sudden, and is most probably scared.
Try to entice him to eat by sprinkling some tempting treats on his food.

Do not watch him as he eats. Since he is still wary and probably scared, give him the privacy when eating or using the litter box.

You can also give the vet a ring to get some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about the stress you're feeling about your friend's cat not eating. It is not uncommon for a cat to hide and/or not eat much when first brought to a new home. The fact that your friend around (not away) is good, as possibly her visiting him will calm him enough to eat something.

You're right about cats needing to eat. TCS has a couple articles with more info on that, which I'll post the links to.

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite

Plus one more that might be helpful. Oh, quick question, had you met the cat before?

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite

Good luck. Please keep us updated.
My friend only came to check up on him and she will be flying off soon. I have met the cat about 3 times prior when i visited her, once when he was only a few weeks old. It's been about 40 hours since it last ate or drank

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He could be adjusting as he was taken to a whole new surrounding all of a sudden, and is most probably scared.
Try to entice him to eat by sprinkling some tempting treats on his food.

Do not watch him as he eats. Since he is still wary and probably scared, give him the privacy when eating or using the litter box.

You can also give the vet a ring to get some advice.
Thank you for replying!! It seems a little interested in treats and will sniff it but will not actually take it even if it's in front of him

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would have been MUCH better to have you visit your friends home, not bring him to a scary new place. Everything you descibe is due to stress. Cats are not like dogs that just accept what is going on, they absolutely hate change and this is causing a huge problenm for him right now. Ask your friend if he can be returned home and you visit there. He is scared witless. If you can't, just talk calmly to him, leave his litter, food and water near him and try to entice him with treats, and maybe some of those Lickable Treats found in a pouch. my cats eat those even when sick. Please keep us posted!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My friend only came to check up on him and she will be flying off soon. I have met the cat about 3 times prior when i visited her, once when he was only a few weeks old. It's been about 40 hours since it last ate or drank
If he hasn't eaten anything at all in 40 hours, I think a vet needs to be consulted. Fatty Liver (hepatic lipidosis) can set in between 24 and 48 hours. Do try enticing him with everything. Chicken, tuna, sardines, etc. He's probably starving.

As di and bob di and bob wondered, is taking him back to your friend's place and you going there to feed/check on him an option?

Are you leaving the food in the room with him when you leave?

Fingers crossed he eats soon. Please keep us posted.

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he hasn't eaten anything at all in 40 hours, I think a vet needs to be consulted. Fatty Liver (hepatic lipidosis) can set in between 24 and 48 hours. Do try enticing him with everything. Chicken, tuna, sardines, etc. He's probably starving.

As di and bob di and bob wondered, is taking him back to your friend's place and you going there to feed/check on him an option?

Are you leaving the food in the room with him when you leave?

Fingers crossed he eats soon. Please keep us posted.
Yep! Litter, food and water bowl are all constantly there even throughout the night.

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many familiar items were brought along with him? His bed? Litterbox? Cat tree/scratchers and any other "scent soakers"?
My friend only passed me his food and water bowl, a tshirt of hers as well as his carry and a toy. I think he's pretty comfortable around me since he follows me around and sits near me when im studying. I hope it's just the house!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend only passed me his food and water bowl, a tshirt of hers as well as his carry and a toy. I think he's pretty comfortable around me since he follows me around and sits near me when im studying. I hope it's just the house!
If it were me, and even though you have his "regular" food bowl, I wouldn't rely on just that bowl. Can you try putting some dry or canned foods in a few of your own clean bowls, bowls set around the house, like near where he is hiding but also in a few other strategic locations?

What types of food did she give you for him to eat? More specifically, does he eat canned foods or dry foods for his regular diet - or both? Even eating some yummy-tasting dry food at this point (e.g the point of not eating for 30+ hours) can help trigger him back to eating his regular food. Some cats will just not try any wet foods or any "unusual" foods (like baby food) if they are scared witless or nervous. But dry foods are quick and easy to gobble up, and then off they go to hide again. Once he starts feeling more satiated and less nervous, you can switch back to his normal food(s).

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put out a few different things for him and then go wait in a different room for a while. His regular food, some cat junk food type kibble, maybe some flaked tuna, a really smelly wet food, etc

Mynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I left his kibbles overnight where they usually are and when i woke up half of it was gone. His regular feed is just 2 meals a day, 1 kibble and 1 plain cooked beef. I will be dropping by the supermarket on the way home to pick up some wet treats but i'm afraid these 2 days of effort has gone down the drain since my family of 5 just got back from holiday (They're quite loud). However he seems to be comfortable around me now seeing he joined me in bed quite a few times to cuddle and stayed there for quite some time while i slept. I;ll keep you guys posted after i set up more food bowls around his hiding areas tysm!