My friend told me it's okay to not use kitty litter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I think I am going to get a lot of wtf-like responses here as I was also surprised to hear that BUT I was wondering if it is okay maybe to get a litter box and not put any litter in it.

My friend said they used to have kitty litter in their litter box for the Persian cat and then due to tracking and worse smell which was lingering, they got rid of the kitty litter and just cleaned the box EVERY time the cat went in it. I get the poop part but how do you clean the piss? You will have to wash it every time...

I think I am going to get a top entry litter box which hopefully will help prevent tracking and an unnecessary mess as well as place a matt underneath. I am also getting a Litter Genie which will be placed right next to the litter box which will help with the logistics of keeping everything clean and safe.

If anyone can give me any tips on the type of litter box and kitty litter I should get and anything else which will help me keep the house clean from germs and unwanted messes, I will appreciate it.

I am going to have the litter box inside a closet next to the entrance of my apartment as well as a deodorizer place in it which according to the Amazon reviews keeps the area germ-free and SMELL-FREE while keeping the cat safe as well as all the belongings in the closet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see using a puppy pad or something but a bare box I think would result in the cat stepping in pee and tracking it all over the house. My cats will pee in a bare box or on a pad, idk if all cats will though. For an older cat with litterbox issues I think it would work but starting a kitten out that way would be confusing, I think. Their instincts are still fresh and a cat's instinct is to bury their waste.

I've found that stashing the litterbox in a closet often results in it not getting cleaned often enough, just because it's a pain to pull the box out or squish into the closet next to it. Which ironically results in worse odor issues, which the owner was trying to avoid by putting it in the closet. But if you're particularly organized it might be fine, up to you.

What kind of litter do you have in mind? Clay, plant-based, paper, etc? Is there a budget to consider?

I think this kind of mat is best (doesn't have to be this brand; Amazon has plenty to choose from): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSBJ2KC/?tag=thecatsite

The litterbox is up to you, just make sure it's big enough. Also keep in mind that any waterproof container can be a litterbox, so you can get creative with storage totes if you can't find a litterbox you like. I prefer open-top litterboxes.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people have trained their cats to use the toilet. There are toilet training kits you can buy. I don't think there's a way to train a cat to flush the toilet after use, though. Maybe a toilet with an auto flush sensor would be helpful if maybe expensive to have installed. I'd still keep a litter box available just in case a cat decides to use that as well.

Just because your friend doesn't use litter doesn't mean it's ok to do the same. I don't see how an empty litter box is going to look any different to a cat than an empty storage box or laundry basket, anywhere you don't want the cat to use at a bathroom. How does your friend deal with the urine smell until the box is cleaned?

TCS has articles all about litter boxes and odors and clean up:

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't speak much to the idea of a litter box with no litter, but know many more knowledgeable folks will chime in. To add my two cents, we just adopted a kitten who was trained to use pine pellets, and so far it's great for what we wanted! It seems like pine pellets may just be taking off - You have to get a sifting litter box (arm and hammer makes a decent one?), and scoopers specifically for pine pellets can be pretty hard to find in my experience, but so far it barely tracks, liquid waste turns the pellets into sawdust and we just try to scoop the solid waste asap to keep things clean. Then we sift the sawdust out about 1x a day, and the litter box is good to go! I'm liking it a lot better than the clumping clay we used previously, and after 1.5 weeks of slowly putting more pine pellets into the clay litter for our existing 8 mo old, she seems to have adjusted to using the pine pellets as well! They also smell like pine, which is nice.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My litter box is from a storage bin. No top. 2x the length of the cat so she can move around and high. They like to cover their stuff. I use arm And hammer slide.no tracking Get her microchipped in case she gets out. $30. My vaccume is an expensive Dyson but it really vaccumes it all up plus it's cordless

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also have a litterbox enclosure, this gives the litter a better chance of falling off their feet. Here's a nice homemade version:
images (6).jpeg

And I really like this store-bought version, because it's open on the end and I think cats prefer that, but there are many many different kinds available now:
Grinnell+Litter+Box+Enclosure.jpg

Grinnell Litter Box Enclosure

This is my favorite litterbox right now. I used to use storage totes but these are easier to handle and clean. Some Walmarts have them, Menards does too, some grocery stores might. Make sure it's the Giant 21" x 18" model not the smaller one that looks like it.
70443_PT1._AC_SY400_V1565284336_.jpg

VAN NESS High Sides Cat Litter Pan, Blue, Giant - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can see using a puppy pad or something but a bare box I think would result in the cat stepping in pee and tracking it all over the house. My cats will pee in a bare box or on a pad, idk if all cats will though. For an older cat with litterbox issues I think it would work but starting a kitten out that way would be confusing, I think. Their instincts are still fresh and a cat's instinct is to bury their waste.

I've found that stashing the litterbox in a closet often results in it not getting cleaned often enough, just because it's a pain to pull the box out or squish into the closet next to it. Which ironically results in worse odor issues, which the owner was trying to avoid by putting it in the closet. But if you're particularly organized it might be fine, up to you.

What kind of litter do you have in mind? Clay, plant-based, paper, etc? Is there a budget to consider?

I think this kind of mat is best (doesn't have to be this brand; Amazon has plenty to choose from): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSBJ2KC/?tag=thecatsite

The litterbox is up to you, just make sure it's big enough. Also keep in mind that any waterproof container can be a litterbox, so you can get creative with storage totes if you can't find a litterbox you like. I prefer open-top litterboxes.
Totally agree with you about what you wrote in the first paragraph. THat was my reaction to my friend telling me what he did.

I have a very decent closet space and it is located in the best part of the apartment for what I want to use it for. Only downside is that I use it for storage and have to be creative where and how I move things around and for example I decided to invest in a bigger laundry hamper WITH a lid and keep it in the bedroom closet instead and organized the items on the shelves so the closet has more space in it and the cat doesn't get to certain items. It is right next to the main door and will have a Litter Genie next to it, it will be super clean and odorless considering everything will be contained inside AND I am installing a Deodorizer with and Ionizer and an air purifier.

THEN AGAIN I was considering Litter Furniture which people have mentioned here and I may be going for that at the end of the day.

I will definitely get that mat (when I first stumbled upon it I knew I would be buying one and yes it looks a lot like the one you linked (thank you).

Yeah I think I am still going to purchase something, especially if I want a furniture style one (even though I read it is not Vet recommended for some reason) cause I honestly want it to have to make several steps before it can find the way out so as much litter comes OFF its feet and if he thrashes in there... and just overall goes bananaz, I want the litter to settle down and remain in there.

As for the type of Litter I am thinking of using.... I heard Clay litter is super unsafe for cats from a YouTube video by a girl who seems to know what she was talking about from the research she made. I don't understand why it is being sold and is so popular if it is poisonous to them.

I don't know the budget I have for kitty litter as I don't know how frequently it will be used... What is a normal amount of $ to set aside for that? I think I am good for 20-30 bucks a month? Hopefully not much more than that. I will be easily sold on more expensive litter if it tracks a lot less and smells a lot better and easier to scoop from as well as better for my cat and for me to breath in the house.

Some people have trained their cats to use the toilet. There are toilet training kits you can buy. I don't think there's a way to train a cat to flush the toilet after use, though. Maybe a toilet with an auto flush sensor would be helpful if maybe expensive to have installed. I'd still keep a litter box available just in case a cat decides to use that as well.

Just because your friend doesn't use litter doesn't mean it's ok to do the same. I don't see how an empty litter box is going to look any different to a cat than an empty storage box or laundry basket, anywhere you don't want the cat to use at a bathroom. How does your friend deal with the urine smell until the box is cleaned?

TCS has articles all about litter boxes and odors and clean up:

I think my friend has no common sense sometimes and I just didn't bother talking to him about that cause he is very opinionated lol. He's a good guy but if he set his mind on something, you will never change it unless you go to extreme lengths and that cat is long gone and he was just saying that it was what his family used to do and it took a lot of training. I don't get how it's better even if that was okay due to the litter not capturing all the business.... and now it attaches to the cat's paws and overall stinking more probably... What they SHOULD have done was have the right setup like mats and everything and the right kitty litter makes a huge difference from my research.

I am not sure if you ever saw this but you MUST click and watch this video of a cat using the toilet and literally still being a cat trying to cover his business scratching the toilet seat and then remembering he needs to flush but somehow get distracted and then at the owner's command goes and flushes before leaving the bathroom (I MEAN WOWWWW) Cat using the toilet like a human

I would let my cat do that too IF I had a guest bathroom lol. Otherwise NO, too gross for me. Also doesn't seem too natural for the cat. Definitely an interesting idea one day in the future maybe if I hace the right number of bathrooms in the house and the right setup/location of rooms.

Thank you for providing all of these amazing links!

I can't speak much to the idea of a litter box with no litter, but know many more knowledgeable folks will chime in. To add my two cents, we just adopted a kitten who was trained to use pine pellets, and so far it's great for what we wanted! It seems like pine pellets may just be taking off - You have to get a sifting litter box (arm and hammer makes a decent one?), and scoopers specifically for pine pellets can be pretty hard to find in my experience, but so far it barely tracks, liquid waste turns the pellets into sawdust and we just try to scoop the solid waste asap to keep things clean. Then we sift the sawdust out about 1x a day, and the litter box is good to go! I'm liking it a lot better than the clumping clay we used previously, and after 1.5 weeks of slowly putting more pine pellets into the clay litter for our existing 8 mo old, she seems to have adjusted to using the pine pellets as well! They also smell like pine, which is nice.
Yeah I definitely don't think my friend made much sense and I think his mindset is pretty wrong about the whole thing but it was interesting to learn that's how he was taking care of business with his own cat lol.

I heard about pine pellets and definitely want to look into that. I heard Clay litter is poisonous to cats and apparently SHOULD NOT be used. I watched a YouTube video by someone who seemed to have concrete proof but I don't understand why Clay litter is so popular if it is unsafe for cats.

My litter box is from a storage bin. No top. 2x the length of the cat so she can move around and high. They like to cover their stuff. I use arm And hammer slide.no tracking Get her microchipped in case she gets out. $30. My vaccume is an expensive Dyson but it really vaccumes it all up plus it's cordless
Thank you for the information (can I PLEASE see what it looks like? If you can post a picture). Why didn't you set up a top for it? I hear some people say it isn't good to enclose it completely so maybe that's why. I don't think I will get my kitten microchipped (don't want to cause it extra discomfort even though it is done while being neutered/spayed but it is going to be a house cat forever.

I have a good vacuum and I am buying a small desk vacuum from amazon for surfaces which I don't want to use my other vacuum for in order to keep things clean. I have a smaller cordless handheld vacuum and it is pretty powerful. I was going to get a bigger cordless one from Amazon but I am already spending so much money that I think I don't need it right now (there's also a real cool fur vacuum).

Pet hair Eraser
Desk Vacuum
Large Cordless Vacuum

You can also have a litterbox enclosure, this gives the litter a better chance of falling off their feet. Here's a nice homemade version:
View attachment 370029

And I really like this store-bought version, because it's open on the end and I think cats prefer that, but there are many many different kinds available now:
View attachment 370030
Grinnell Litter Box Enclosure

This is my favorite litterbox right now. I used to use storage totes but these are easier to handle and clean. Some Walmarts have them, Menards does too, some grocery stores might. Make sure it's the Giant 21" x 18" model not the smaller one that looks like it.
View attachment 370031
VAN NESS High Sides Cat Litter Pan, Blue, Giant - Chewy.com
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST AND THE INSPIRATION. I really think I will go for the furniture style one... I was wondering if I should at first and I thought to myself "no that's crazy and expensive and where would I even place it???" BUT it would save me so much trouble and look stylish in my fairly empty apartment and I need a seat next to the main door in order to put on my shoes sometimes or just take a seat while waiting to leave the apartment. I don't know if those are made for human weight but even if they're not, it will give me my closet space back; there's enough space in the hallway parallel to the closet I was going to use so it is still in the same area and I can still use the deodorizer/air purifiers next to it or MAYBE even IN IT. I like how the cat MUST make several steps prior to getting out and hopefully it won't go too crazy having that large space as a litter box and get even messier before exiting it but I really think THIS is my solution.

I really liked the big white one and the blue litter box. I found several litter boxes I like and maybe will still go for one of the litter boxes I previously set my eyes on but good options nonetheless!

1613295456646.png

This is a crazy good price as most of them are far more expensive but this MIGHT be US Dollars and I live in Canada. I never ordered anything from Wayfair before so IDK if shipping will be very expensive or even possible but I will look into it as it is cheap AND on a decent sale.

I found a couple which look a lot like the Grinnell one but not the greatest reviews or best amount of reviews:

This one looks identical

Few reviews and cheaper

Thinking of using a litter-box of this style (if you notice most of the reviews went for the older design with the holes at the top and I am not sure whether holes or grooves are better)

Maybe something like this which adds a bit of a longer trip and ANOTHER enclosure WITHIN the furniture enclosure which will really help keep the litter inside

Another interesting concept

Like the previous TOP entry litter box but for some reason way cheaper but has the holes on top like the one I wanted to get

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One point to consider is the age of the cat when deciding on a top entry litter box. A senior cat may not be able to get in. I have an old girl that has issues with getting into a regular box. I am looking for a low sided box (no more than 1 1/2 to 2 inches high) but not having any luck. In the meantime to protect the floor I have a heavy duty plastic carpet protector and puppy pads. She uses the pads with no problem.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use that same blue litter box in a furniture-like enclosure like that white one. I also have a little smaller boxes in two end table like enclosures around the house. I also have those double-layered mats in front that trap litter, also from Walmart. I have tried many litters, and surprisingly, Scoop Away at Walmart reduces odors a lot! It is also the best for not tracking everywhere. Do NOT get that light weight litter, it was horrible! the cats peed, it didn't soak in fast enough and they tracked white pee tracks everywhere! If you get clumping litter and scoop every day, there shouldn't be any smell. Non-clumping litter smells horrible after a while.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think I will get my kitten microchipped (don't want to cause it extra discomfort even though it is done while being neutered/spayed but it is going to be a house cat forever.
Just picking up on this, M Mr_Kitty , I was pretty skeptical of microchips, had grown up with cats without them forever, but I cannot tell you the added relief knowing the cats under my care have the safeguard of a microchip in place. I didn't know it would be so great, and lessen my worry over what would happen if they got loose so much. Microchips are so popular, i didn't even have a choice about microchipping when I adopted both cats from separate locations - it was just completed during the adoption process (not even during spaying/anesthesia). As for the discomfort to the cats, I haven't heard of it being such? Both kittens I've had have really not seemed to care about it. Also, just. The amount of stories I hear of indoor cats getting outside (there's a lot of chances for that in a cat's lifetime) have made me so glad I did, again for the safeguarding bit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can DIY your own litter box furniture enclosure if you're handy with tools and building stuff. Some don't require much, just store bought furniture that you modify a bit. Using Ikea pieces is popular. There are lots of web sites you can find with pictures and instructions on making a DIY litter box enclosure. Here's one: DIY Cat Litter Cabinet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with you about what you wrote in the first paragraph. THat was my reaction to my friend telling me what he did.

I have a very decent closet space and it is located in the best part of the apartment for what I want to use it for. Only downside is that I use it for storage and have to be creative where and how I move things around and for example I decided to invest in a bigger laundry hamper WITH a lid and keep it in the bedroom closet instead and organized the items on the shelves so the closet has more space in it and the cat doesn't get to certain items. It is right next to the main door and will have a Litter Genie next to it, it will be super clean and odorless considering everything will be contained inside AND I am installing a Deodorizer with and Ionizer and an air purifier.

THEN AGAIN I was considering Litter Furniture which people have mentioned here and I may be going for that at the end of the day.

I will definitely get that mat (when I first stumbled upon it I knew I would be buying one and yes it looks a lot like the one you linked (thank you).

Yeah I think I am still going to purchase something, especially if I want a furniture style one (even though I read it is not Vet recommended for some reason) cause I honestly want it to have to make several steps before it can find the way out so as much litter comes OFF its feet and if he thrashes in there... and just overall goes bananaz, I want the litter to settle down and remain in there.

As for the type of Litter I am thinking of using.... I heard Clay litter is super unsafe for cats from a YouTube video by a girl who seems to know what she was talking about from the research she made. I don't understand why it is being sold and is so popular if it is poisonous to them.

I don't know the budget I have for kitty litter as I don't know how frequently it will be used... What is a normal amount of $ to set aside for that? I think I am good for 20-30 bucks a month? Hopefully not much more than that. I will be easily sold on more expensive litter if it tracks a lot less and smells a lot better and easier to scoop from as well as better for my cat and for me to breath in the house.

I think my friend has no common sense sometimes and I just didn't bother talking to him about that cause he is very opinionated lol. He's a good guy but if he set his mind on something, you will never change it unless you go to extreme lengths and that cat is long gone and he was just saying that it was what his family used to do and it took a lot of training. I don't get how it's better even if that was okay due to the litter not capturing all the business.... and now it attaches to the cat's paws and overall stinking more probably... What they SHOULD have done was have the right setup like mats and everything and the right kitty litter makes a huge difference from my research.

I am not sure if you ever saw this but you MUST click and watch this video of a cat using the toilet and literally still being a cat trying to cover his business scratching the toilet seat and then remembering he needs to flush but somehow get distracted and then at the owner's command goes and flushes before leaving the bathroom (I MEAN WOWWWW) Cat using the toilet like a human

I would let my cat do that too IF I had a guest bathroom lol. Otherwise NO, too gross for me. Also doesn't seem too natural for the cat. Definitely an interesting idea one day in the future maybe if I hace the right number of bathrooms in the house and the right setup/location of rooms.

Thank you for providing all of these amazing links!

Yeah I definitely don't think my friend made much sense and I think his mindset is pretty wrong about the whole thing but it was interesting to learn that's how he was taking care of business with his own cat lol.

I heard about pine pellets and definitely want to look into that. I heard Clay litter is poisonous to cats and apparently SHOULD NOT be used. I watched a YouTube video by someone who seemed to have concrete proof but I don't understand why Clay litter is so popular if it is unsafe for cats.

Thank you for the information (can I PLEASE see what it looks like? If you can post a picture). Why didn't you set up a top for it? I hear some people say it isn't good to enclose it completely so maybe that's why. I don't think I will get my kitten microchipped (don't want to cause it extra discomfort even though it is done while being neutered/spayed but it is going to be a house cat forever.

I have a good vacuum and I am buying a small desk vacuum from amazon for surfaces which I don't want to use my other vacuum for in order to keep things clean. I have a smaller cordless handheld vacuum and it is pretty powerful. I was going to get a bigger cordless one from Amazon but I am already spending so much money that I think I don't need it right now (there's also a real cool fur vacuum).

Pet hair Eraser
Desk Vacuum
Large Cordless Vacuum

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST AND THE INSPIRATION. I really think I will go for the furniture style one... I was wondering if I should at first and I thought to myself "no that's crazy and expensive and where would I even place it???" BUT it would save me so much trouble and look stylish in my fairly empty apartment and I need a seat next to the main door in order to put on my shoes sometimes or just take a seat while waiting to leave the apartment. I don't know if those are made for human weight but even if they're not, it will give me my closet space back; there's enough space in the hallway parallel to the closet I was going to use so it is still in the same area and I can still use the deodorizer/air purifiers next to it or MAYBE even IN IT. I like how the cat MUST make several steps prior to getting out and hopefully it won't go too crazy having that large space as a litter box and get even messier before exiting it but I really think THIS is my solution.

I really liked the big white one and the blue litter box. I found several litter boxes I like and maybe will still go for one of the litter boxes I previously set my eyes on but good options nonetheless!

View attachment 370038
This is a crazy good price as most of them are far more expensive but this MIGHT be US Dollars and I live in Canada. I never ordered anything from Wayfair before so IDK if shipping will be very expensive or even possible but I will look into it as it is cheap AND on a decent sale.

I found a couple which look a lot like the Grinnell one but not the greatest reviews or best amount of reviews:

This one looks identical

Few reviews and cheaper

Thinking of using a litter-box of this style (if you notice most of the reviews went for the older design with the holes at the top and I am not sure whether holes or grooves are better)

Maybe something like this which adds a bit of a longer trip and ANOTHER enclosure WITHIN the furniture enclosure which will really help keep the litter inside

Another interesting concept

Like the previous TOP entry litter box but for some reason way cheaper but has the holes on top like the one I wanted to get

Thank you!!!
Cats have a preference about boxes. Some like a top,some don't be sure it's scooped every day. I have 3 cats. All female. One likes to pee standing up. It will reach 13 inches so my littetboxes are high 18 inch. She sleeps in my bedroom so she uses that one the most. Easier to clean without a top. Her pee would get stuck on the cover. Target or Walmart has storage bins. Mine were bought at Costco. Expensive but I like the smooth sides. I bought scented litter once and it smelled up my apartment. It is suggested one extra box. Some like to pee in one poo in another. Or it's not clean enough to suit her preference
20200719_164139.jpg
20210214_104355.jpg