My Foster Nightmare; Two Tiny Kittens And A Mia Mommy Cat

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, whose up for a story?
I signed up to foster momma cats and kittens, I got my first litter, a group of older orphan kittens who just need a place to socialize and grow until they're old enough to be neutered. I had them for two weeks, thought it was easy enough, had the time and room necessary so I volunteered to take on another set.
This group... I got a mom and three kittens yesterday. If you've read my title, you know something is about to go down. Mom cat is scared, not hissing or swatting, but pretending that she isn't there and hiding in the back of the carrier. She's young, like... I'm not sure how old but somewhere between six and ten months. She's practically a kitten herself. Kittens are a week old at most. Before I went home, the shelter warned me that one of the kittens didn't seem to be doing too well.
I leave the carrier in the crate, there's still plenty of room for them to move around if they want, but I try to leave them be to get settled in. I check back in on them, and mom cat is still planted in the carrier. Wanting her to eat, I pick up the carrier and start taking the kittens out and gently putting them into the crate. When I grab the second kitten... It was dead. I was devastated. My family finished taking the mom and other kitten out while I went to call the shelter.
Later I noticed mom cat hadn't fed her babies since we brought her home. She's been stiff and ignored her two squealing bundles. Again I let the shelter know, they suggested that the mom cat might take a day or so to settle in before feeding her kittens again. They offered to let me pick up some kitten milk replacer when they opened the next day just in case.
Worried and perhaps paranoid for the remaining two kittens, I .went to walmart and picked up some milk replacer and bottles myself, I fed the two myself because I couldn't bare to leave them hungry until then.
Afterwards I left them with their mom and went to bed.
The next morning the mom cat was gone. I have no clue where she went. The crate I had her in was actually two crates put together so they would have plenty of room, I figure she must of forced her way through where the two meet. I hadn't thought it would be large enough but somehow she got out of the crate. Then she should have been in the sunroom still, it had two doors and both were close. But there was a window to the kitchen which I often used to refill their water dish, I must have left it open. That meant she could be anywhere inside the house, or because of all the in and out foot traffic, she may have even managed to get outside.
I searched and searched for her, but couldn't find any sign of her. I left out wet food and even put a trap outside for her. I hope I find her soon, it's really scary not knowing where she went or even if she'd okay.
I started bottle feeding her kittens, and will continue doing so every two to three hours. I have all the pamplets and instructions for how to care for orphan kittens. I keep rereading them over and over to make sure I'm doing it right. These kittens are not orphans, but might as well be since mom kitty is too freaked out to answer her babies cries.
I've talked to the shelter, but there's not really much they can do to help me. I wish I knew where mom cat has gone, it's my fault she got out and it's eating me up that she's gone.
Any tips at all will be welcome, I think it's pretty clear now how inexperienced I really am with all this. I just wanted to help, but somehow I just made things a whole lot worse for these cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things happen, and they are all experience to teach us for the future.....mama was so absolutely petrified she lost all reasoning, my heart goes out to her. Surely people going in and out would have noticed a cat running out. Unless the door is left open and that policy should be changed immediately, for safety and bug reasons, a dog, a person enticed to steal, anything could get in. Make sure all crates are secured together with fasteners, all doors/windows are closed from now on if they don't have screens. Mama is most likely still in the house, she could be up inside a sofa or box springs,behind furniture, anywhere. I would leave litter boxes out, and food and water in various rooms at night and see if any are used. Take a flashlight and systematically go through every room. Every where. Up inside things you don't even think she can go, behind furniture and appliances, deep in closets. I commend you for getting the kitten formula and not waiting. I don't understand a rescue asking you to wait that long. Above all don't give up! Because of you the kittens have a chance. At a regular shelter with a young, inexperienced, petrified mother like that, they would have all died. Bless you for taking this on. Please , please keep us updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M melontine

I think you are doing well under the circumstances, and good you are feeding the babies.

Feed them through the night as well, and stimulate them to go pee and poop after each feeding.

Can you weigh the babies daily? They need to gain a minimum of 6-10 grams each per day. More is even better.

Hopefully mom will turn up - poor gal!

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding

Please keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a couple cans of the pre-made stuff, I keep it covered and refrigerated and microwave a small amount to room temperature before giving it the them. The shelter gave me a canister of powder formula, so when I run out of this or it goes bad I'll switch over to that.
I have three cats of my own and two small dogs. None of them have noticed her anywhere, otherwise I'm sure there would be a ruckus. One of my cats even looks like her a little, and my family will sometimes let them out. But we've been keeping her inside lately since she hurt her foot, so it's still more likely mom kitty is in the house hiding.
I heated up some canned food to increase the smell, also got some tuna, and put a bit in each of the bedrooms with the doors closed. I'll check back routinely to see if it's been touched and then I'll know which room she's in at least and I can work from there.
There's still no sign of her yet. Poor kitty, it's probably been hardest on her.
Kittens are eating well, they're loud and strong. Peeing after each meal. I don't have an electronic scale, would a dial scale work? I'm not sure it weighs small enough amounts. I'll go look into getting one just for them.
Thank you all for the tips and links, it's all been very helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and switch to the powdered formula. The pre-mixed stuff is crap and gives diarrhea.

Walmart has digital kitchen scales that work well to weigh kittens.

How much to feed is based on weights. You need to keep track in a log of weights and mLs fed each day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re heating up in micro: be sure you shake the contents vigorously, to be sure the temperature is even. Micro heating has the drawback it heats up unevenly - in bubbles, and there is some risk the kitten may bet burned.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, I hadn't realized. Thank you both, I'll be sure to use the powdered stuff and shake it thoroughly after it's been heated. I test it on my arm beforehand, but if it's uneven I guess that doesn't do much good.
And I'll head over to walmart to look for a scale. It seems worth it to know the kittens are on the right track.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One tip when weighting: sometimes they wiggle, or are too big to have comfortably on the scale. You can weight them in a plastic bowl or similiar. Just tare the scale accordingly.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weighed them both, the scale I'm using weighs in ounces instead of grams, but it should get me in the ballpark and tell me if they're gaining weight properly.
Lighter color baby is 5 oz (about 141.7 grams)
Darker one is 5.1 oz (144.5 grams)
I'll try weighing them every twelve hours or so. Not sure of their exact age, papers say they should be about a week.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kittens are a week old, the weights are excellent. They each need a minimum of 40 mLs of formula in a 24 hour period, so feeding every 3 hours would mean 8 feedings of 5 mLs each. They can eat more. This is a minimum.

They may need to eat every 2 hours though, which would be 12 feedings of 3.3 mLs.

See how they do.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the mom cat, she’s inside but I’m not able to reach her. I blocked off some rooms, and am keeping the other animals out of there. I put the trap inside with food and water, and I’m hoping if I leave her alone she’ll come out and we can get her someplace secure.
I’m not sure if she’ll take back her babies. How do I go about giving them back to her? Do I give them back? She’s obviously still terrified, and trapping her isn’t going to make her feel safer. But I don’t really see a way to help her otherwise.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Trapping her is in any case much better than trying with "catch as catch can" - THIS would leave traumas. Trapping is neutral in such a situation.

How you go further on is prob by playing by the ear. If you have her in a cage, and she notices the kittens and wants to them, you may let them.

Although its important she has landed, ie not longer feel panicked, and recognizes you are both meak and even friendly.
In such a situation they usually do accept the happening, as the best practical chance for her children - and they do copy.
Its not always they can be fostered, but usually you dont have difficulties with fostering of the kittens.

Otherwise you have always the option of having them separated for good. You had already done the most difficult, got the kittens to survive the first critical days when they are separated. They even take bottle, which is often difficult with kittens whom have had a momma till now.

If so, you can even consider with going on with the TNR of her sooner than later.

I found the mom cat, she’s inside but I’m not able to reach her. I blocked off some rooms, and am keeping the other animals out of there. I put the trap inside with food and water, and I’m hoping if I leave her alone she’ll come out and we can get her someplace secure.
I’m not sure if she’ll take back her babies. How do I go about giving them back to her? Do I give them back? She’s obviously still terrified, and trapping her isn’t going to make her feel safer. But I don’t really see a way to help her otherwise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you’ve located her! Where is she?

The best you can do is put her babies with her in a crate and, under supervision, see if she will nurse them.

If not, mom needs spaying and releasing. Poor thing is clearly terrified. Can you tell if she has eaten at all?

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom cat was in the trap this morning, she'd eaten the food that was left in there. Not sure if she had anything before that, no one had seen her and it's possible she'd been hiding in the same spot for some time. She was inside the sofa, we almost weren't able to see her as she found a small corner in the armrest to hide in.
I put her back in the room with her kittens, but I left the babies in a crate while she's lose in the room. I gave her some places to hide and hope that she'll settle down if I leave her be long enough. She hasn't made any effort to reach her kittens after being put in. Later when I took them out to feed them, I put one near her while I fed to the other one. The kitten cried loudly, but she wouldn't go near it. So I took it back and fed both before putting them back in the crate again. Not sure if mom cat will come around or if I'm messing this up for her.
I've left the shelter a message, I'm hoping I'll back from them soon. They'll be the ones to decide when it's time to have her spayed and released.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Wow! You have certainly entered the world of foster with a bang! And doing fantastic - you have awesome instincts. Yes, there was a tragic loss but you mustered on; a lesser soul would have aborted the mission. :clap2::cheerleader:
Since the babies are doing well in your care, it isn't as critical that they be reunited. They might hear her subliminal growls when she sees/smells/hears human activity and become timid around people. For her, I would offer potting soil and yard dirt in one of the litter boxes and also give her a corner with branches and other scents from the outside. If you have a small fountain, you could leave that on to help mask "civilized" sounds of living.
Even though your endeavors were quite a little rodeo so far, you have clearly saved the lives of the little cat family AND prevented further tragedies because the often-violent & devastating cycle of unwanted kittens. In case you didn't know, over 70% of feral kittens do not make it to one year old. So that makes you a hero, in my eyes!! :salam::rock::loveeyes::salute: :happycat: