My fixed tomcat is still interested in girls...

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So recently my mom told me that my cat (who is living with my mom now because I came to China) have been doing stuff with the fooster queen. He was fixed long ago when he was like 7 months. Recently my mom took in a pregnant cat and take care of her while she has the kittens. So my boy (Soren) always felt curious about her, sniffing around the babies, my mom was always paying attention to them because she was afraid he will harm the newborn kittens. But then he started to lick the kittens and play with them as well so no problem about it.

Now the kittens are 3 months old and my mom found homes for them, after that the queen came in heat and Soren try to mate with her!!! but he is fixed!!! he no longer has his little balls! but still is interested in her and trying to copulate!

How can this be possible??? the surgery went wrong? Does he still have male hormones even after the surgery?

I know there isn't risk of pregnancy (I suppose) but I'm just very surprised that he still has this instinct about mating. Does anybody has the same situation with your male cats??

this is Soren.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Beautiful boy :D I love his black nose

Don't worry ;) Yes, it's completely normal for a neutered male cat to try and mate a female cat in heat.
Not all neutered cats do this, but I've found most will try.

Most cat breeders actually keep a neutered male in with their females. An ethical breeder will only breed from a female once a year, and the female will continually call about every two weeks if not mated.

Most females will not eat too well while calling, this means they will struggle to keep their weight up, calling so often. Also they will shout and scream day and night trying to attract a mate.
So breeders keep a neutered male to mate their females, no risk of them getting pregnant and it actually stops them coming back into call so quickly, usually between 6-9 weeks before they call again.

Last edited:

gverdugo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I never knew about this! I learn so many things on this forum!

All our cats are fixed, so no neutered male has tried to mate with a female, but we had a male kitty who would "mount" blankets, pillows, etc.