My First Show Is Coming...any Advice Is Most Appreciated!!

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never shown before, nor attended a show. But that will soon change! I think my new boy I purchased not too long ago is going to do well! At least I hope so! Any advice anyone can give me on how to prepare him and myself is greatly appreciated! I groom him daily, and he’s very docile, but how do these show cats allow these judges to tug and pull on them? Is there a trick? Also, any advice on getting his coat perfect would be great! I thought about having him professionally done, but I’ve been told by fellow show breeders and judges that learning to do it myself is a must! Any other show advice would be wonderful!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve never shown a cat, but I’ve gone to a lot of shows so I’ve picked up on some basics, but Posiepurrs will surely be able to tell you more. :)

You’ll need to get him used to being handled and posed. Put him on a table and practice running your hand over him and stretching him out like a show judge would do. You could invite your friends over to do the same with him so he gets accustomed to being handled by many different people.

I don’t know that much about preparing his coat, but you will need to give him a bath a few days before the show.

For his show cage, you can either use the wire ones provided by the show, or bring your own soft show shelter, like the ones by sturdiproducts.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on your boy’s show career!
:clapcat::lovecat:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most bath the morning of the show, but with my cats they always seem to look better if I do them the day before. I have reached out to a friend who shows colorpoints for product suggestions for you. Bascially though you need to get his coat in shape now - weekly baths minimum, twice a week would be better. I have a page on my website that gives my regimen for show grooming, but the products will probably be different for you. Start getting him accustomed to handling like suggested (although they don't stretch Persians). Take him anywhere you can to get him used to strange places, noises and smells. Just some advice - don't go to the show expecting anything other than a good time. i am not saying your boy won't do well, it is just disheartening when you go in expecting to blow away the competition and get shot down. Been there, done that with Jack, my avatar. I now just concentrate on having a good time - if we do well that is a bonus!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wonderful advice from everyone!! Thanks so much for reaching out your friend for any product suggestions posiepurrs posiepurrs ! I won’t be showing him until I’ve attended a few shows. A girlfriend and I are going to a show in March, as she and I both are planning to show our cats in the near future. She and I both just want to enjoy the experience. If my boy places that would be amazing, but I’m definitely not getting my expectations too high ;). Baxter’s coat is very easily tamed. He never mats so I haven’t had a need to bath him yet. His fur is very light and fine so it fluffs up naturally. Is there any particular shampoo y’all suggest for Persians? I usually just use diluted dawn whenever I bathe my kitties. But I’m not sure that’s the best thing for a show quality bath.

That’s a great idea to place him on the table and get him used to strangers messing with him abyeb abyeb ! I’ll definitely start taking him places and getting used to that as well. Also, he’s only 6 months old. What’s a good age to start showing him?

Here’s a pic of my little man. He’s also my avatar:-)
71E17C4A-EFFA-479C-A0E3-7DD5A4A74CD4.jpeg

Thanks everyone so much!! Y’all are always so very helpful!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Option 1: for cat with BIG cottony coat
F&T by Les Poochs - http://lespoochs.com/product/pooch-botaniques-ft-degreaser-dematter-deep-cleanser/
Chris Christensen Happy Eyes
Chris Christensen Clean Start
Chris Christensen Fair Advantage
Chris Christensen After Bath
Option 2:for cat with thick soft coat
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo – Walmart/Target
Cindra Texturizing Shampoo -- https://www.showdogstore.com/cindra-texturizing-shampoo/
Avocado Mist by Eqyss - https://eqyss.com/products/pets/pet-sprays/avocado-mist-pet/
Dove Volumizing Mousse
Cover Coat
These are the shampoos she uses. I can send you the details for using them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Option 1: for cat with BIG cottony coat
F&T by Les Poochs - http://lespoochs.com/product/pooch-botaniques-ft-degreaser-dematter-deep-cleanser/
Chris Christensen Clean Start
Chris Christensen Fair Advantage
Chris Christensen After Bath
Option 2:for cat with thick soft coat
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo – Walmart/Target
Cindra Texturizing Shampoo -- https://www.showdogstore.com/cindra-texturizing-shampoo/
Avocado Mist by Eqyss - https://eqyss.com/products/pets/pet-sprays/avocado-mist-pet/
Dove Volumizing Mousse
Cover Coat
These are the shampoos she uses. I can send you the details for using them
I’m going to take a semi educated guess and say he’s got the first coat mentioned; big & cottony! I’ll try to find some pics that shows his coat better & you can let me know your thoughts. Assuming I’m correct in my assessment, any instructions you can post for usage on the corresponding products would be wonderful!

A611B29F-7AE6-4FD5-9991-F8039CDE8B82.png 417E3BCC-2AC6-4A0F-840B-1826BE2541D4.jpeg 6FF760F0-E02D-43BB-99A5-EECFBB8BF5DA.jpeg 02F8F14A-AFBE-4C4C-BD62-A1B52C335BF6.jpeg 046C80DB-34AD-4979-85DC-01ED4E1BE5A5.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The exam table is often cold because they clean it off between each cat with alcohol or similiar. So when you train standing on the exam table make him used too to an somewhat coldish table... yes potentially unpleasant...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks to have a cottony coat.That is great for showing - his coat should pouf up big for you. I PM'd those instructions to you. There are finer points of show grooming that you will need to learn - sculpting for one. The main thing right now is to get his coat in show condition, which means bathing at least once a week and COMPLETELY blow drying his coat. You don't want any curly, crimped hairs. What show will you be attending as a spectator? I may know someone who will be there who could give you some demonstrations (hopefully, anyway).