My first post

Space Possum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for being an active site. I will be posting about space Possum. She has a uti out of no place and I'm wondering if she has FIC. It's cat PTSD. I rehomed her with us from a family that no longer wanted her. She has some aggressive behavior, but we have been gentle kind and attentive.
20190619_155839.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3657.GIF
to you and Space Possum, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3647.GIF
to you both.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Space Possum is a pretty kitty! :redheartpump: :hearthrob: Do post more photos of her and here's a special thread for her in show-me-your-stripes-and-spots-tabby-cats-only.347378 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! First of all, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking her in, I'm sure it was so very stressful for her during this period of time. This may explain her UTI. She may very well have FIC though time will tell, hopefully, the stress that brings this on will be gone now and so will her symptoms. Stress manifests itself in many ways, often cats will get Feline Herpes too. Stress brings about a lowered immune system so all kinds of bacterias and viruses can develop into something nasty. You might want to start her on DMG or research some other immune-enhancing product that will strengthen a cat's system. My cats have leukemia and I give it every day. It is reasonable enough on Amazon. They also have urinary tract supplements that may help too.
You might check for heightened sensitivity to petting, etc., or overstimulation aggression, most often found in females. My Chrissy had it and swiped/bit the closest hand after only two strokes. The trick is to learn when the limit is reached and don't cross it. Stroke her and watch closely for signs of overstimulation. A swishing tail, low growls, puffed hair along the back or on the tail, and dilated pupils right before the attack. Dilated pupils and a swishing tail are the most common. They just can't help it and are NOT doing it on 'purpose' or to hurt, they just want to be left alone. It is confusing at times because they often actively seek attention, and then once their limit is reached, lash out. Just leave them alone for a few minutes and they will be back to normal. You will quickly learn what her limit is, often at your own expense, and when to stop right before.
She is a beautiful tabby (I love that M between their eyes) and I wish you many years of love!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Space Possum is beautiful. Thank you for giving her a home. :catlove:

As di and bob di and bob posted, stress can bring on UTI's, so that could be why she got it all of a sudden. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear that up quickly.

About her aggression, here's a TCS article that might be helpful.
Cat Aggression Toward People – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Space Possum! And a huge thank you for taking on a "problem child." Here's hoping that the reduction in stress and clearing up the UTI will make her more comfortable in her own skin. You might even find a significant reduction in her aggression once she is no longer in discomfort!