My First Kitty!

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! I figured that since I lurk around these forums for advice, I should join and introduce myself!

Two months ago I adopted my first kitty cat (and first four legged friend) Emma. I had always wanted a dog, but I did not want to get one until I have a fenced in yard. I thought about it for awhile, and decided to adopt a cat who needed a good home. I honestly never knew how much you could love your own animal, when I was younger I always begged for a pet, but my parents would not go beyond fish. Not very snuggly.

She is now five months old, and she is my best friend. She is extremely social, and she follows us from room to room, on our lap 85% of the time when we are relaxing. She is also very playful, and her favorite activity is chasing the laser up and down her cat tree. She also snuggles with us at night, right in between my boyfriend and I.

She has been very well behaved, and I think that our positive reinforcement tactics are working well. She is very food oriented, so treats are definitely a great incentive for her to be a good girl. She is seemingly getting to learn the word "no", and always tries things three times, but then stops when we are still staring at her "angrily". I use the word angrily very loosely, I am usually trying not to giggle.

Below are some pictures of my new furry friend. I am proud of myself, today was the first time I was able to go to Petco without buying a toy, and just getting the essentials (litter). Although, I guess cod fish treats were not essential...

Nice to meet everyone, I am sure this new mom will be posting more questions.

Emma's first day at our house.

29196437_10105331194176022_6207901951036751872_n.jpg

Emma playing with her favorite friend, the laser. First we kept "ending" the game with the laser under the stove, but then she would just sit and stare for like an hour for the stove demon. Not ideal, or safe when we are cooking. Now we end it at the top of her cat tree or bed. There is now a giant cat tower in the open space, this was right after we adopted her.
emma1.jpg

Emma checking out the bathtub after I took a shower. She is obsessed with it and sprints in the bathroom the second we get out. Lately I have been leaving the door open a crack and she puts her head in between the shower curtains and watches the water intently. Don't worry, the shower is looking a little grimy, but there was a deep cleaning session shortly after.

emma2.jpg

Emma during our Game of Thrones marathon.
emma3.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Congratulations on your new kitty! Emma is so cute! I love that picture of her all snuggled up with the blankets. Such a sweetie! :loveeyes:

See you around! :wave3:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :hithere:
Congratulations on becoming a new kitty owner :banana1:
Emma is just adorable :redheartpump:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome ! You are so lucky Emma is a lap cat too - Mine will only go on mine if there is something to get to!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
7C692DC2-4A30-4F08-BEB8-81EC370237CD.gif
Abby and Emma, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
5C72AF3F-778C-462F-9B02-4603BBA42257.gif
to both of you.

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Thank you for adopting Emma. What a lovely kitty and she has a sweet face :lovecat4::lovecat: Do post more photos of her and here’s a special thread just for her in :-
Bi-color kitties only!
Strange Sleepers: Post Your Cats Strangest Sleeping Positions!
And there are many fun threads here in Fur Pictures and Videos Only! to showcase what your kitty is up to.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELCOME! What a sweetie Emma is! I'm so glad that the two of you are here now.

OH, Hekitty, my own feline overlord, says to tell you that TREATS ARE ESSENTIAL!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And congrats on being a new cat mom. :bouquet: Emma is adorable. :catlove:

Since you've had Emma 2 months now, perhaps you're a pro at all things kitties, but in case there's something you might have missed, here's a First-time Cat Owner's Guide :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Emma's adorable. :heartshape: I had to laugh at you 'angrily' staring at her while trying not to laugh. :lol: They're so cute, it is tough to be mad at them, isn't it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emma's adorable. :heartshape: I had to laugh at you 'angrily' staring at her while trying not to laugh. :lol: They're so cute, it is tough to be mad at them, isn't it.
It’s so tough! She never has done anything that “naughty”, so it’s just stuff like keeping her off the tv stand (with my boyfriends brand new tv that he is obsessed with) and to stop her from coming up on the table for food. I usually look at it like most of the things that she does are our fault (like if we leave food on the counter she is going to eat it) she doesn’t know any better :) the worst thing she does is jump on our feet, but she settles down. One time I shut the bedroom door because it got s little extreme, and she just went downstairs and snuggled on a blanket. Not sure how I got so lucky!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting to have your first kitten! They are so much fun. She looks very happy. Welcome Abby and kitty. What's her name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How exciting to have your first kitten! They are so much fun. She looks very happy. Welcome Abby and kitty. What's her name?
Her name is Emma! She is so fun and it hurts my heart how cute she is!

monica78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my...she is a darling. I too am a new cat owner. My experience have been with feral alley cats who would beat up on my dog...so I always had this perception that cats are mean....non loving....non affectionate animals....but boy was I wrong. I have got to say Luna is one of the smartest most loving animals I have ever had. Reading your post made me smile as it describes my Luna. She loves to cuddle with us at night and is so chill. I told my husband I have been a "cat" person my whole life and it took this one to literally walk into my house with me to find this out. Anyway from one newbie to another... WELCOME... and keep the pictures coming.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome abbyemma abbyemma ! Emma is quite adorable - continued good luck with her training.