My First Ever Cookbook

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daughter told me today she does not have the Betty Crocker cook book. I am disappointed, but I will be shopping for a version of this book.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will first be checking out the thrift stores in the cookbook section. If not there, then I will broaden my search. I want it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 is this the book? From 1961. It's used, but seems to be in good condition.

BETTY CROCKER'S NEW PICTURE COOK BOOK 1961 | eBay

I think Betty Crocker was the cooking "bible" for many of us. Rick's mother bought me numerous BC cookbooks, from the old Cooky Book, to Pies and Pastries, to the Working Woman's Cookbook, etc. I have a ton of old BC cookbooks.

In fact, I used my Cooky Book to the point where it just fell apart. The cover came off, the pages got torn, pages started sticking together. The poor book was really abused. Several years ago, when one of Rick's aunts passed away, he helped out at the public sale. And she had had a BC Cooky Book! He asked his cousin if could buy it, explaining that my copy was in such bad shape, and she gave it to him with the understanding that she got the first batch of cookies that I made from it. That's the book that has the snickerdoodle recipe, the chocolate crinkles, the old peanut butter cookies, and the old spritz cookies that I've been making forever. There are other really good cookies in it, too, but those are family favorites. I've made other snickerdoodles, but that recipe is probably the best.

Somebody mentioned church cookbooks; good church cookbooks are great sources for some fantastic recipes! I have a collection of cookbooks put out by our local hospital and they're good, too. Years ago, when our son was in third grade, the school put out a cookbook; I still have my copy.

Oh, and Grange cookbooks! The Pennsylvania Grange cookbooks are wonderful! I found a great recipe for a baked corn, a delicious shoo-fly cake, etc. They're really good. My first copy fell completely apart and my mom had to get me another copy. I have several Grange cookbooks now.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester That is the right cookbook in your link. I will be getting this book when I find the right one. I have checked out one of the local thrift stores. They don't have it. There are two others I will be checking out locally. If I don't find it there, then I will look online. I had totally forgotten about this book and what a resource it was. Now I feel like it is a necessity to have it again.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ETA: Oops, I think I goofed. I have the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery set of 12 cookbooks. They're from around the early 1960s. They belonged to my aunt and she gave them to me. They're pretty interesting, but they really cooked differently back then. (For example, does anyone remember threading strips of lard into meat that would then be roasted? It's called "lardon" or something like that. I've never done it myself, but I read about doing it in those books. Some interesting reading.)
I loved the Woman's Day Encyclopedia when I was kid. I was fascinated by the pictures. When I got a little older, I loved reading the history of cookery in them.
I've looked for them for years and FINALLY found the complete set last summer. It really has some interesting reading and also makes me feel more connected to my mom, who used her set all the time. :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and Grange cookbooks! The Pennsylvania Grange cookbooks are wonderful
I think I've been missing out - growing up in South Dakota I never heard the word Grange, and didn't until I got here to Colorado thanks to a native-to-Colorado individual who cares about such things.
I'll definitely have to look into Grange cookbooks. There's a Grange meeting hall just a few miles away from my house, not sure if it's still in use but I'll certainly check and find out. What fun, thanks Winchester!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:bliss::banana1::dance::woo:
I finally have myself a copy of this Betty Crocker Cookbook. I am in love.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was shipped last yesterday. I can hardly wait. It will be like finding a long lost friend.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The tracking info says it left the last facility and is on its way to the post office where I live. Because of the holiday, I know it won't get here today, maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. I can hardly wait.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:bliss:My Betty Crocker cookbook arrived today. I am beyond happy. It is in almost perfect condition, looks like nobody ever used it to cook with. There is a bit of age related discoloration near the binder rings inside. There are no torn or missing pages. There are no stains. The back of the book is not broken. The only thing I can see is on the very first page the bottom hole is torn out. I will put one of those little sticky ring things on it to hold. I haven't been this excited in a long, long time. I want a warm day to sit on my porch and read this book. I got this book in 1963 when I had been married two years. I want to read the recipes I was cooking 55 years ago.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 Oh wow, how cool! I'm so glad you were able to find it and that yours is in such good shape! Have fun exploring. I love to look through old cookbooks and remember what recipes I'd used way back when. It's a nice way to spend an afternoon. Have fun! I'd love to hear what you're making from the book, too.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband already asked me what am I going to be cooking. Winchester Winchester I learned so many things as a young bride. I did take home economics in high school so I knew a little bit about cooking. But with this cookbook I learned how to be in charge in the kitchen. I hope I will recognize many of the recipes as I review this book. Honestly, I haven't been this excited over something I bought in a long time, even the Coach pocketbooks. :lol: