My first cat!~

cowsrcute

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am so glad I found this site. It has been super helpful. Anyway, I would love to introduce my cat, Libby! I just adopted her 2 days ago and she has been even more perfect for me than I thought. I was a dog person before. Then I fell in love with her at first site when she instantly went and rubbed her head on whoever pets her. After I adopted her, she definitely made me love cats. She is super smart and loving. I am still trying to figure out how to get her more interested in her toys. I think it might be because she is to busy having fun exploring my house. She only drinks out of mugs which I find adorable. The cat rescue I adopted her from says she is 4-6 years old.

Even though she just walks around all slow and chill, it is pretty hard to get a picture of her. Probably becuase of the camera phone. I spent like 40 mins trying to get some pictures and this is the only one where it isn't blurry and she is sorta looking at the camera. 

I belled her since when I left her in her safe room, she instantly explored and in a like an hour when I came back to check on her, she followed me out. Then she went missing for like 3 hours and I got worried so when me and my boyfriend found her, we belled her. The bell is gone now (I have no clue where it is) but she comes when we call her so it isn't needed any more.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, a bow tie!

Welcome to TCS! Such a pretty girl. My cat drinks out of my cup too. He won't touch his bowl, but he'll stop by my desk and drink out of my cup. I have a "bait cup" just for him though, and sometimes I lap my cup the way he does, and we have a little drinking session together. 

You might be interested in harness training her -- where you train her to get used to a harness and you can go take walks outside. She sounds like she might like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cowsrcute

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww so cutteee!

And yea, I wanted to take her on walks. She seems so curious so I figured it would be lots of fun for her. I was to scared to at first since I never seen anyone walking a cat and the rescue told me never to let cats go outside so I figured it was normal for cats to be indoors all the time. Although, I thought that was kind of sad being in the same place all the time for your whole life (but that might be coming from my dog experiences). Good to know walking cats is an actual thing. lol I'd love to take her to a park right down my street. There's rabbits which she might like seeing. She likes my guinea pigs.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

... the rescue told me never to let cats go outside so I figured it was normal for cats to be indoors all the time. Although, I thought that was kind of sad being in the same place all the time for your whole life (but that might be coming from my dog experiences). 
Cats are safest indoors, and with enough stimulation, interaction, play and affection, they can be completely happy being in the house. You may think of a house as small, but with enough vertical, climbing and hiding spaces, the house is a jungle to the cat.

The rescue is right, they just forgot to add "unsupervised". That's because there are many dangers to cats outside, and from cats. Outdoor cats generally have a shorter life span than indoor. In addition, cats are also one of nature's deadliest killers -- many birds and small animals fall prey to house cats every year. In turn, bigger animals like coyotes, large hawks and eagles pose a danger to house cats. Not to mention busy roads and mean animal haters. And parasites and diseases.

However, on a harness, cats can be outside and be safe. But you have to do it right; otherwise cats are better off indoors.

hills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's so pretty, she really rocks that green ribbon too. Mine was a stray as well and she also had to get her bearings around the apartment before she could settle in. Now she can't get enough of playtime though yours may be more of the type that needs you to initiate it--like using a rod toy etc. Mine is like that.