My feral is acting... different...

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KittyKat (assuming she is a female...) is sweet, loving feral, semi-domesticated, doesn't like indoors, and after the loss of siblings about a year ago? allowed me to become her buddy. Now ... she loves being groomed, has/had been eating a variety of treats, etc. She seems happy enough in her new world until recently. About five days ago? she stopped eating her wet food and then Temptations treats (I guess it was gradual) and increasingly wanted more grooming, and even more grooming.

She seems healthy enough, and eats dry kibble in the morning, but gone are the midday and evening desires to eat. I have been giving her Temptations treats and wet food (later AM) along with dry food, then just treats and dry food again later in the day. I can't leave the food out or crows, bees, wasps, etc, will get to it. It does get warm out, so ... summer heat?

Not sure what my next move is... suggestions? PS My partner says "she has a crush on me" which is may be true, she is following me around a bit... which is new. She wants to relate a lot! Grooming! Petting! You name it, she wants it!

(I wonder if she misses her siblings, but isn't this a bit late, it's been a year or even a year and a half? Maybe the grooming is bringing up cat memories, or she just likes attention? But it's the not eating I am more concerned with. She is still eating once a day. Still... I am at my limit of understanding cat behavior here. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she lets you pick her up it would be good to track her weight to see if she is losing. Since she is an outdoor cat Is there there the possibility that she is supplementing her diet with mice or is being fed elsewhere?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I can pick her up (she squirms and is a bit heavy, very muscular under that pretty fur!) so I can't tell, especially since she wants all this grooming (weird, right?) Weather? New mommy syndrome (me?).

She has let go of tons of fur and looks so sleek and like she's lost some weight but i think it's just a lot of fluff and - probably hot useless winter fur. She loves it... go figure! Rolls on her back, wants me to pet her, scratch her neck, massage her belly, neck, anywhere, anything ... it took time for the trust to build up, of course, but now, she ... anyway..

I think it's all a little odd but it's okay, I chalk it up to being an orphan. I am married but an orphan at an early age myself and lost my only sibling too so I sort of relate to loss of family... who knows what goes on in an animal's heart?

But...mice? Ha! She is the type of cat who would snuggle with a mouse before chasing one! She is truly an angel! She would die if I didn't feed her.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the heat but if it is a SHE, then I wonder about her hormones. She could be coming into heat if she is not spayed. Or pregnant. If she or he is not spayed or neutered, I strongly suggest that you get that done. I can tell you have a bond and getting a cat fixed will keep it much safer. Safe from wandering, pregnancy or getting into fights if it’s male, keeping kitty from disease spread by mating too. Any chance you could bring kittyinside to live? Then kitty is much, much safer and easier to monitor or get to a vet check when you worry.
If you want to weigh kitty, pick her up and step on a scale with her in your arms. Then weigh yourself without her and the difference between the wrights wil give you her weight.
Worms and parasites can also cause weight loss. A vet check is always a good idea. Kitty definitely loves you whether the hormone are kicking or not! Lol You have a friend for always now. KittyKat is beautiful! That fur is gorgeous.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for caring about Kitty Kat, she is so dear in spirit and behavior! What a feral! Anyway, she has been fixed, so not hormones.

I figured out what is going on. My microwave gave out last week and as my hands are quite arthritic I struggled to heat up her food using a cheap spare microwave while I tried to replace with a good one. I just gave her cold food. When I overheated it in the cheapie it was too hot and bees came so I hoped she'd like cold food.

Today I realized... just open a new can and see what happens. Sure enough she gobbled it up. I think she just wasn't going for what I was serving cold.

Lesson learned. If only cats could speak, I would gladly open a new can every day! Hopefully my new mike has come and she'll take to reheated like I used to but if not I'll just do fresh...

Thanks and maybe this will be helpful to another cat owner. Appreciate the caring responses!

PS Also appreciate the compliments on her fur, She's crazy about being groomed, this is what happens. The fur looks beautiful!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PS I don't know if it's a SHE or not. I have had many domestic cats over the years and I think I can tell the difference. She just strikes me as a SHE. I am not sure if there is a way I can tell since she's been fixed.. but I've never seen indications to the contrary .... like the things you'd see in male cats, so...my best guess! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes, she/he does have a cut ear so somebody took them to be fixed. If you can get a booty shot, post it here and we'll see if we can figure it out.

Cats do tend to lose weight (and fluff) in the summer when they live outside or in an un-air conditioned home. That kind of heat could make anyone lose their appetite.

But, yeah, lol, kitties can be picky about cold or reheated food. Hopefully that was the whole problem.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will try and get a shot. I'd love to know. I'll have to do it one handed since I am the only human who she thinks is a cat.

It's only been in the last few months she's gone full "trust" and decided massages and belly scratches are "it"! Along with everything else.

It took a while... it's been a process. I fed her and her sibs for 8 years and they wouldn't even let me touch them. Only after she was the last one, and she saw me play affectionately with a domestic cat that came around... I think the lights turned on... Wow... you (to the other cat) can do that? (Relate to those "things?) Those green eyes had a tint of jealousy - she was going to have some affection too! She finally accepted my offers to connect.

Still took a while. Little by little, she decided it was much more fun to be doted over ... and, the food kept getting better too. Maybe lately, she was low energy because she was literally underfed and not enough food. Usually she is very "busy" ... doing god knows what. Today she's out and missing, so I think I figured it out.

I would love to keep her indoors but hubs is a total NO to that, so, luckily, we live in a protected area, gated all around. Hope she plays safe when she is out and about!

PS I owe a lot, maybe everything, to this board. Just sayin'. Everyone who has posted has helped me give KittyKat a beautiful life when it could have been one full of grief and loneliness for her. I am so grateful to all of you who respond and have helped me.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PS If I find out her sex for sure ... maybe I can give her an "extra name" that has a gender!