My Feral Cat Spot

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost my little Spot yesterday. I feel so bad for her but the Vets thought it was best. She was around 11 yrs old and it took me years to get her to trust me and it took 6 yrs. just to get her to come in the house although I could never pet her. I got to hold her as they gave her the shot it was the first time I had ever held her.
I noticed her out my back door one day and started feeding her. I would put her food out and have to walk away before she would eat. She was pregnant at the time and I watched where she went. She had a really nice nest dug out in a pile of leaves and branches it was really amazing that such a little cat could do something like that. It was getting cold out so I thought it would be best if she and her kittens were in the house where it was warm. I stole her kittens from her and put them in a spare bedroom of course she came looking for them and when she heard them crying overcame her fear of humans and ran to them. She stayed in that room for 2 weeks nursing her babies until I guess she had enough of being inside and scratched a hole in screen in the window and jumped out. After that she was a little more tolerant of me and would eat with me a little closer to her. Eventually after 6 yrs. she finally started to come in the house when it was cold. Although I could never pet her, and she was still skittish around humans, I felt she trusted me.
I can remember her following my Scraggs around. If you saw him you saw her a few feet behind. I lost him a couple of years ago. He was a stray that someone kicked out of their house and left here when they moved. He was my buddy.
I still have 2 of Spots babies, although they aren't babies anymore they are both 10 yrs. old, Snuffy and Hefner, they will always be my babies.
I will miss Spot so much but I believe she is in a better place now. Rest in peace baby.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Spot....I am sorry you lost that girl. I am partial to cats named Spot. I too, had a little black feral who trusted me finally and brought me her baby. She passed away a few months later.

Well, you have her babies, even though they are grown up, as I have Beeba. The best way to honor our lost friends is to do our very best for their kids.

I can tell you loved her so much.

RIP sweet Spot. Perhaps my sweet Spot, will meet up with you over the Bridge.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am SO sorry Spot's time came... but what a beautiful story, the love just pours out of each word.
I am sure she was so grateful for all the love you shared, and she loved you dearly in her way.
Thank you for being there for her, especially when she needed you the most.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A cat's love and trust are all the more precious when fear has had to be overcome. Play happily over the Bridge, Spot, looking down on your babies and human family, and knowing you were loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. They were greatly appreciated.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very wonderful story and tribute you told about your Spot. Though you could never pet her, she knew you cared for her and she was grateful for the food and warm home in the winter. You were her angel.

Now she is an angel who will look for ways to protect you, your family, and hers.

RIP beautiful Spot.

Robin

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. It is nice to think that she is watching over us.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about Spot. I know how much it hurts when your cat dies, believe me. She was a beautiful cat

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I got her paw print in the mail the other day. They made it for me at the Vets hospital after she died. I think that is a great idea. I think I will do it for all my cats while they are still here.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuffy's Mom

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I got her paw print in the mail the other day. They made it for me at the Vets hospital after she died. I think that is a great idea. I think I will do it for all my cats while they are still here.
That is a wonderful idea. I wish our vet had done that. Our vet got us in contact with a place that will bury or creamate your pet in their pet cemetery, or you can have him delivered back to you. We chose to have him back here with us, in the only home he knows. That way if we move we can take him with us.

I did once have
Lynxx's
pawprints made from a kit my Uncle gave me. Only it didn't work. It kept falling apart. We got a picture of it, and I have the picture. We wound up having to throw the kit away.

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to go to a craft store to see if I can find a clay kit that I can use. Some I have heard of you bake after you make the print. The one I have seems like it will hold up. Time will tell.