My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We managed to actually talk for 20 minutes at about 3 o'clock this morning. She says that the air quality is somewhat better, although not nearly normal...by a long shot. Apparently, there are particulates in the air, and are ALL OVER THE PLACE. She says it is nationwide, and that some areas are seeing visible particulates, not just her. BUT, very bad in her area.
We have had something similar for the last few days, due to the wildfires up in the Canadian northwest. It seems that smoke and ash has been carried by the jet stream to a goodly part of the US. It has given, for example, a reddish cast to the moon and, at times, you can even smell the smoke. But it has been nothing like what she has been enduring, nor for so long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wildfires are becoming a part of our world. Colorado experienced what jcatbird's location is a couple of years ago. One fire would start, then another, then another, and it went on all summer long. Experts are saying that there is no such thing as a wildfire season any longer because they can happen just about any time of year. What makes things more challenging is manpower and the financial wherewithal for fire departments to fight these monsters.

Today, Colorado is under air quality warnings due to Canada's fires, 90 in Alberta alone right now, due to dry conditions and record heat.

I'm not trying to be depressing. I'm a little concerned that some posters here are taking a very negative perspective of events and occurrences, and so I wanted to comment that this aspect of what's going on for her and so many people is unfortunately a fact of life.

Something that a person can do to help, if not specifically to an individual is to find ways to help the firefighters and their departments. They are truly incredible people, -->some of whom are volunteers. They all especially need our thoughts, prayers and any help we can think of depending where we're located, from donations of supplies to funds, because they're literally on the front lines, hour after hour, day after day. Some of them lose not only their own homes and still stay out there, but lose their lives. I can't tell you how much I respect them and thank them from the bottom of my heart, over and over.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time you get her on the phone, please ask her to put on a mask and not breathe in the air without a mask.
She wears a resperatior type mask to breathe and swim goggles to protect her eyes but no matter how much she covers up it irritates her skin. She says that whatever is in the air settles to earth at night.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Today, Colorado is under air quality warnings due to Canada's fires, 90 in Alberta alone right now, due to dry conditions and record heat.
For us, we get the haze from illegal forest land clearing in Indonesia where they burn the forests to clear the land and wind brings the smoke and snoot over to us. The tiny particles are dangerous to breathe in. People with respiratory problems suffers.

She wears a resperatior type mask to breathe and swim goggles to protect her eyes but no matter how much she covers up it irritates her skin. She says that whatever is in the air settles to earth at night.
That'a good that she's protecting herself. Can I suggest that she use a water hose and hose down the outside of the house in the morning so that the dust will not be kicked up by the wind when it blows?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Weirdest thing just happened. I had to go and get blood drawn and when I walked out of the medical clinic a large beautiful green dragonfly was down on the sidewalk. Knowing most folks wouldn't have noticed it and it would get stepped on I checked to see if it was alive (would have moved it even if it wasn't, that's how I roll) I got it on my hand and transferred it to a large schrub. It's chilly right now and I think it liked my warm hand cause it didn't want to leave. It looked undamaged so hopefully when it warms up later today it will fly away home
20230520_092152.jpg
20230520_092239.jpg
20230520_092234.jpg
20230520_092253.jpg
20230520_092326.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, y'all. I managed to talk with Jcatbird Jcatbird very briefly this afternoon. The air quality had been better, not good, but better, but another fire has broken out, so it is back to "very poor" right now. She has the house sealed up as best she can, and has a filtering mask for when she HAS to venture out. We talked for about 10-15 minutes before she started cutting out so badly I couldn't understand her, but she is OK, and the cats are fine! Wanted to let you know.

The air quality here is poor. Since the Canadian smoke reached us on Sunday, we've had dirty gray-yellow skies. Although...right now it's just gray, and I can see actual clouds, so that's a good thing! LOL, I've been coughing more the last few days than I have since I quit smoking! It's appalling to think that I used to go through this every morning, and thought it was "just part of the day!"

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, y'all. I managed to talk with Jcatbird Jcatbird very briefly this afternoon. The air quality had been better, not good, but better, but another fire has broken out, so it is back to "very poor" right now. She has the house sealed up as best she can, and has a filtering mask for when she HAS to venture out. We talked for about 10-15 minutes before she started cutting out so badly I couldn't understand her, but she is OK, and the cats are fine! Wanted to let you know.

The air quality here is poor. Since the Canadian smoke reached us on Sunday, we've had dirty gray-yellow skies. Although...right now it's just gray, and I can see actual clouds, so that's a good thing! LOL, I've been coughing more the last few days than I have since I quit smoking! It's appalling to think that I used to go through this every morning, and thought it was "just part of the day!"
We still have that high gray overcast from the fires out west, but at least I haven't been able to smell anything like I could earlier. As to smoking, I really started when I was in the service, with unfiltered Camels at $2 a carton. I kept up the habit after I got out, eventually smoking 3 packs a day. Then one night I stopped off for a beer after work, and they had raised the price per pack from $.50 to $.55, and I refused to pay that extra nickel, and never smoked again. That was in 1972. Fortunately, I quit before I developed that morning cough.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have that high gray overcast from the fires out west, but at least I haven't been able to smell anything like I could earlier. As to smoking, I really started when I was in the service, with unfiltered Camels at $2 a carton. I kept up the habit after I got out, eventually smoking 3 packs a day. Then one night I stopped off for a beer after work, and they had raised the price per pack from $.50 to $.55, and I refused to pay that extra nickel, and never smoked again. That was in 1972. Fortunately, I quit before I developed that morning cough.
I started smoking Marlboro's in 1968. A pack cost 25 cents and a carton cost $2.00. I always smoked 1 pack a day. Just before I retired I paid $8.00 for a pack of Merit's 100's. That's when I decided to quit. I could not afford to continued to smoke and retired. My boss smoked 5 packs a day and he died from emphysema.

Status
Not open for further replies.