My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 BJ always seemed to catch them all. He got all the girls that way. Lol

rubysmama rubysmama We are approaching nearly a year since BJ. It hardly seems that long but that’s because he is still with us in so many ways. I had to laugh when I looked back at those photos. Hero cat. He certainly taught me a lot.
Mechurochrime! Lol It stung! When Mom brought it out we knew what was coming. She used to blow on it to dry it quicker and stop the sting. Not sure if that helped the sting but it helped that she cared. Lol

tabbytom tabbytom The Pawverb is another true statement. I have certainly learned a lot and experienced the love they give so freely and abundantly. The losses are a reflection of the amount of love received.

pearl99 pearl99 Oh yes! Methiolate! Ouch. I remember that too.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Iodine! I still use Betadine but I don’t think it stings. Maybe I am just used to the alcohol now? Lol

AJ! Landmark pets! He arched into the pet?:clap2::banana1::woo::dance::woohoo::petcat:This is wonderful news! I know you were so happy! This is one of the times we truly celebrate! Concatulations!

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Awww! So funny and cute! That must be one of those rare Pooh Bear cats. It looks like someone has been licking the honey jar. Super sweet!

CatladyJan CatladyJan Yep! The mercury out of the thermometers was fascinating. It became little metallic balls and when gathered it formed one larger seamless ball but if dropped became a thousand perfect tiny balls again. I suspect some lingers between the seams of the wood floors of the house we lived in at the time.:oops: But.... I’m okay now.🤪 Lol Seiously though, as kids we had no idea until Mom came running in and sent us flying outside until she had done whatever she could to get the mercury up and out. I’m not sure if she knew the real risks but she knew it wasn’t good. How did we ever survive so many things of that time? My brother had a Chemistry set that contained many things that are banned now. He made some lovely stink bombs. My mother just loved the relative that gave him that. Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Ulp! Yes! Now I would be too.

pearl99 pearl99 Mercury. The magic liquid metal blob!

strider rose strider rose I am so sorry the cough and all have been so persistent! I’m glad the doctor gave you something that is helping. Get well quick! You are always in our thoughts and good wishes.:alright:

rubysmama rubysmama Cat Lovers month!:bunnydance::jump::banana1: Granted, every month is cat month but another reason to celebrate cats lovers is always a great thing! The kitties approve! Yay to all Cat lovers!

strider rose strider rose Mackie laughed and I did too!

neely neely I love the photo! Carleton on duty! It always helps to have a grocery supervisor. Lol Banjo checks the cabinets and gives me an inventory. Lol

We are all warm and cozy. It actually got hot yesterday! We go from heat to AC this time of year.🥶😓🥶 Lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great one, rubysmama rubysmama and thank you--back at'cha!:heartshape:
Jcatbird Jcatbird How the time screams by, doesn't it? I've never been good at linear time, and though we can't see, touch, or hear our loved ones who have gone on, they are always with us, in our hearts, minds and souls, and watching over us; in a way, we know they are not gone from us and we also know we will be with them again. Time numbs our grief somewhat. But the grief is for ourselves and those who remain here with us, not for those who have gone on. 🌈
*Dang, I'm pretty glad I wasn't one of you ladies' playmates, with that mercury!!!*:fear:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post this because I often see posts that ask how to get a feral cat to start coming closer or how to calm a nervous cat. I also know that we get some people searching here for information. I think Toot can help us with this. Maybe a smile will be included?

Hmmm. Somebody is outside. I left a tub of catnip near the cat food.

90E83397-EC48-4930-8F13-86562FF43CEF.jpeg

It works!
CA0B7E78-A9AD-4AF4-89E4-649C9165261A.jpeg

Toot found the catnip and he likes it!
9CC736E0-63F5-4C40-B348-59AB54EBC349.jpeg

My shoes are covered in catnip.
524311AD-D8C5-4D8A-97E0-545BE6ED2D5E.jpeg

Toot followed the scent. Lol
687E550E-387F-4B03-B497-AED095747DA5.jpeg

Yes, he does realize that I am connected to the catnip shoes. Lol I stayed very still and didn’t look at him.
49286162-4E18-4C25-9F5D-729BA90DD357.jpeg

He had some wounds on his back and that’s part of why I wanted him to allow contact. He needed some help.
67000A8B-1538-4DD0-B15D-741A53971076.jpeg

He rewarded me for the gift of the catnip by rubbing on my legs.
C9966A7B-5BC0-4802-9F4C-8AA7F458E983.jpeg

My shoes were getting kitty kisses and Toot was adding his scent to my shoes and me! Lol
9F551F17-6202-450B-958F-E454871858C9.jpeg

He decided my shoes were comfortable enough to lay across them.
BA048A23-A4AC-442F-A893-79C42E7EADE7.jpeg

I did this over time but he finally allowed me to walk and he followed my shoes inside the garage.
95F909EA-8ED0-4FBE-A7F3-EEE1AE8FBB7E.jpeg

A can of cat food awaited.
D1DE9E7D-8168-4ECC-8818-A93C44C27952.jpeg

After eating he was relaxed and allowed me to place my hand near him.
B43C9759-853D-4012-BDD3-D26362953498.jpeg

He did give me the kitty stink eye. Lol
02B0685D-DF74-4D51-983C-D05410B0064C.jpeg

I did slow blinks with him and I got slow blinks in return.
5A8A3EB1-1E26-4D84-8FD4-C4B7F9940E53.jpeg

He allowed me to move my hand closer. I did so slowly and he investigated by sniffing. My hand had been dipped in catnip. Lol
3DEB4038-8E90-470F-964D-9EFC67E7D999.jpeg

I remained still.
66C08347-C833-46A7-AEB7-BA9DA629BEF9.jpeg

After awhile he let me touch him for the first time.
9F81AB4D-98F0-43D2-B2CE-037B1C8403F8.jpeg

Then, he touched me. Head butts are a great reward from a kitty.
B2E7E8F1-214C-4A6E-B4FB-A57D39559CB2.jpeg

This all took time but he showed me that he trusted me
D119FA91-E230-4390-AC6E-222D590487BA.jpeg

His battle wounds are all well on the way to being healed now. He has become much calmer and he allows pets. A few days ago he let me pick him up very briefly. :bunnydance: He even accepts tummy rubs. Between using food to gain trust, catnip and patience, I think Toot is making progress. Oh.... and he has his toy bunny to snuggle. What more could a kitty want?
A9A56408-8705-4C9B-B13C-5E18FD8E5048.jpeg

I don’t have to wear the catnip now! Lol If anyone uses this tip to work with a feral, stray or nervous kitty, be sure to use a good brand of catnip. It makes a big difference. I had started with fresh catnip I grew here but have moved to dried. I have found the Feline First is loved by every kitty here but the catnip in the tub is Yeow brand. Both brands are well liked here. Be sure to check the ingredients since some brands have other things added, like Lavender. Given my choice, it is always catnip only.
I hope that this info can be of use to anyone trying to help a feral or rescued cat.
I know that most of you who follow the thread already know that Toot is inside but this is how he came to learn trust and now he has decided I can pick him up for a few seconds! Yay! One milestone at a time. Maybe one day he will decide to be a lap cat too. If not, We are purrfectly happy just to be friends.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chilly weekend here so we did a big grocery shopping today. I thought I'd share a pic of Carleton investigating what we bought. He's our Supurrvisor. :winkcat: I hope the clowder at Chez Catbird is warm and cozy. :cutecat:

View attachment 437964
Carleton is SO flooferescent and irresistible!
Hoping there are some goodies for him in those bags.
I had to order our third Drinkwell fountain today. Elvis is very unhappy that as of last Sunday, fountain cleaning day, our current one no longer works. I could have ordered just the pump assembly, but our current fountain is pretty yukky (we have very hard water) so it's time for a new one.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post this because I often see posts that ask how to get a feral cat to start coming closer or how to calm a nervous cat. I also know that we get some people searching here for information. I think Toot can help us with this. Maybe a smile will be included?

View attachment 437985
It works!
View attachment 437986
View attachment 437987
View attachment 437988
View attachment 437989
Yes, he does realize that I am connected to the catnip shoes. Lol I stayed very still and didn’t look at him.
View attachment 437990
He had some wounds on his back and that’s part of why I wanted him to allow contact. He needed some help.
View attachment 437991
View attachment 437992
My shoes were getting kitty kisses and Toot was adding his scent to my shoes and me! Lol
View attachment 437993
View attachment 437994
I did this over time but he finally allowed me to walk and he followed my shoes inside the garage.
View attachment 437995
View attachment 437996
View attachment 437998
View attachment 437999
View attachment 438000
He allowed me to move my hand closer. I did so slowly and he investigated by sniffing. My hand had been dipped in catnip. Lol
View attachment 438001
I remained still.
View attachment 438002
View attachment 437997
View attachment 438010
View attachment 438011
His battle wounds are all well on the way to being healed now. He has become much calmer and he allows pets. A few days ago he let me pick him up very briefly. :bunnydance: He even accepts tummy rubs. Between using food to gain trust, catnip and patience, I think Toot is making progress. Oh.... and he has his toy bunny to snuggle. What more could a kitty want?
View attachment 438012
I don’t have to wear the catnip now! Lol If anyone uses this tip to work with a feral, stray or nervous kitty, be sure to use a good brand of catnip. It makes a big difference. I had started with fresh catnip I grew here but have moved to dried. I have found the Feline First is loved by every kitty here but the catnip in the tub is Yeow brand. Both brands are well liked here. Be sure to check the ingredients since some brands have other things added, like Lavender. Given my choice, it is always catnip only.
I hope that this info can be of use to anyone trying to help a feral or rescued cat.
I know that most of you who follow the thread already know that Toot is inside but this is how he came to learn trust and now he has decided I can pick him up for a few seconds! Yay! One milestone at a time. Maybe one day he will decide to be a lap cat too. If not, We are purrfectly happy just to be friends.
This is priceless! Thank you for the tips. I tend to want to foster the really shy kitties (since I am really shy) so this is so helpful.
And really glad to see you back more! I loved the BJ post and pictures.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 437985
It works!
View attachment 437986
View attachment 437987
View attachment 437988
View attachment 437989
View attachment 437990
View attachment 437991
View attachment 437992
View attachment 437993
View attachment 437994
View attachment 437995
View attachment 437996
View attachment 437998
View attachment 437999
View attachment 438000
View attachment 438001
I remained still.
View attachment 438002
View attachment 437997
View attachment 438010
View attachment 438011
View attachment 438012
What a gloriously handsome floof Toot is! Has he allowed you to treat his wounds? Looks like he's a battlecat. Some peroxide might work wonders...followed by some triple antibiotic...?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Thank you! Precious couch kitty! I am so happy to get some time on TCS! I must admit, I am on the couch! Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Time. Yes. It is not the same for everyone and cats have their own kind of clocks. They live each day to the fullest. I still watch and learn.
Hmmm. Maybe if we had been playmates I would not have been so interested in the mercury! Lol We might have been growing catnip instead.

A new fountain? Yay! I keep thinking about adding a fountain, or ten, but I know the kitties here would be constantly playing in the water or turning the fountain over. Maybe in the future?
Toot has some scabs but he has healed very well. We are working towards more vet checks now. He is still very nervous and afraid of many things but he has made amazing progress. I have learned that he runs from anyone wearing a hoodie. I have given him my hooded jacket. Lol He can do with it as he wishes. His floof is becoming Winter floof and he is glorious. He has some catitude too! He grabs my pants leg when he wants more petting and won’t let me leave! He is not comfortable if I sit on the floor with him which is kind of unusual but that’s fine with me. I have put a low beach chair near him and he will allow me to sit there. No on the lap so far. Lol Maybe later. I am just thrilled that he lets me see and pet his belly! As we know, every cat is different so I am adjusting my behavior to suit the Toot!

pearl99 pearl99 Oh wow! That is so great to hear! I was really hoping that would be useful to someone. Thank you for telling me! I never really know what may be helpful but it has worked well for all the kitties here. Paws crossed that it works there for shy ones. I was painfully shy as a girl and when I see shy kitties it gets to me too. Bravo to you for helping them. They need you!
Thank you for being glad I am here.:hugs: I miss being here. I’m also glad you enjoyed the BJ pics. Each time I look back, I have to smile. He still does that to me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting this. I've bookmarked it for future reference. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 437985
It works!
View attachment 437986
View attachment 437987
View attachment 437988
View attachment 437989
View attachment 437990
View attachment 437991
View attachment 437992
View attachment 437993
View attachment 437994
View attachment 437995
View attachment 437996
View attachment 437998
View attachment 437999
View attachment 438000
View attachment 438001
I remained still.
View attachment 438002
View attachment 437997
View attachment 438010
View attachment 438011
View attachment 438012
Looking at this series again and LOLing at Toot, The Stoner Catboy. He looks TOASTED in the first pic. :crackup::lolup:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strider rose strider rose Lolololololol! Banjo is delighted! She thinks the photo could restart her modeling career. That is so sweet and the outfit compliments her fur! Of course now she wants a gold circlet for her head and a magic belt. Look out credit card! :lol:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 He is totally a stoner cat. He adores catnip. I now just leave the tub of catnip with him. I sometimes find him with his head perched over the edge of the tub. Lol He has corrupted the bunny too. They enjoy the nip together and then a nap. Nip, Nap , Catty Whack. He’ll swat me if I close the tub.:lol:
Since he looks TOASTED in the pics, maybe his name should be changed from Tootsie Roll to Roller Toaster? Love at first sight? He wants to know if there are any catnip farms near you.;) He may be planning a trip.💞
Be careful where you leave any catnip!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 He has the loudest purr I have ever heard! He does this purr rurr! Then very vocal. He also has huge paws! He’s a talker and Lady keeps taking him her stuffed toys. Lol She can’t really be around him but she knows he is here and offers all her snuggle babies to keep him company. Last night she wanted to give him her stuffed toy kitten. It’s solid white and would be adorable but she needs to keep a few toys. Lol I did let her go to see him while harnessed. He immediately came to her but she looked a bit stunned at this giant black floof. She didn’t run but she did watch him from behind the wardrobe. Sweet Lady wants to rescue all creatures. Every time she hears anything outside she grabs a toy in her mouth and starts Meowing as she takes it to the door.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strider rose strider rose Lolololololol! Banjo is delighted! She thinks the photo could restart her modeling career. That is so sweet and the outfit compliments her fur! Of course now she wants a gold circlet for her head and a magic belt. Look out credit card! :lol:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 He is totally a stoner cat. He adores catnip. I now just leave the tub of catnip with him. I sometimes find him with his head perched over the edge of the tub. Lol He has corrupted the bunny too. They enjoy the nip together and then a nap. Nip, Nap , Catty Whack. He’ll swat me if I close the tub.:lol:
Since he looks TOASTED in the pics, maybe his name should be changed from Tootsie Roll to Roller Toaster? Love at first sight? He wants to know if there are any catnip farms near you.;) He may be planning a trip.💞

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 He has the loudest purr I have ever heard! He does this purr rurr! Then very vocal. He also has huge paws! He’s a talker and Lady keeps taking him her stuffed toys. Lol She can’t really be around him but she knows he is here and offers all her snuggle babies to keep him company. Last night she wanted to give him her stuffed toy kitten. It’s solid white and would be adorable but she needs to keep a few toys. Lol I did let her go to see him while harnessed. He immediately came to her but she looked a bit stunned at this giant black floof. She didn’t run but she did watch him from behind the wardrobe. Sweet Lady wants to rescue all creatures. Every time she hears anything outside she grabs a toy in her mouth and starts Meowing as she takes it to the door.
Awwwww, what a kind Lady! :happycat: How sweet of her to want to share with him. Of course, she may have an ulterior motive. *He IS quite a heart throb*
Catnip farms? Well, IDK about that. My fresh catnip plant on the front verandah got overrun (or "over-lain") and I didn't replace it because I knew that, inside or out, it wouldn't last long. But I do get catnip spray, and dried catnip, and dried silvervine AND 'nip-and-'vine blend...(Best not to tell him about these last two. If he's that much of a stoner on the 'nip, the 'vine would be sure to have him toasted 24/7-365!:dizzycat:)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

Lady is amazing!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I bought one brand that was sold as “catnip” but had added lavender and other things . Oops! I discovered that something in the mix caused an allergy attack for me! Poor Toot! He would probably love the Silver Vine but I am wary of it now. He may have to “borrow” a cup if he visits. Lol Did you know you can root cuttings from your catnip plants? I managed to over winter some last year by putting the hanging basket inside in a cat cage. Lol I had to protect it from foraging felines. Toot is a precious big nipper! Lol Lady may have a kitty crush. She heard the wonderful crooning of Toot. He has quite a purr. People hear him over the phone!
pearl99 pearl99 Lady is such a kind kitty. She always wants to check on any kitty that is not part of the group of inside kitties here. She and Mitsy are really the ones who saved little Wanda Heart. I never would have known she was outside if it had not been for the two of them. Mitsy brought her to the safety of the yard and the Gingerbread House and Lady led her the rest of the way and in to where I could get her. It took months for Wanda Heart to get well but those two saved her. It never ceases to amaze me when I watch the love of cats in action.

strider rose strider rose Yes! The photo really made me smile! Another one would be delightful. I will be excited to see what your wonderful imagination comes up with next time!

For anyone who is not familiar with the story of the rescue of Wanda Heart, she was a single kitten found and she was horribly infested with hookworm and other parasites and had a very long battle with Coccidia. She had lots of small wounds on her face and the front half of her body.
One of many vet visits.
9F9AF29D-C278-4B8F-9A6B-F5D69BBA66B0.jpeg

Trying to raise her body weight.
7CDF147D-D5CA-44F7-9348-BB69F0D5DE08.jpeg

Precious and loving baby.
0EB0008F-9938-4F14-B5F8-B2822B8EF71A.jpeg

Who could ever resist a look from this kitten?
6D6685FB-18B9-41BA-A1EE-2EA5BDFE18BE.jpeg

209F978D-64BC-4776-BFE1-9F2927142693.jpeg

991A669C-C237-4F2C-9687-099BC4ABC860.jpeg

95773B4C-6A11-4F26-BD3F-54A9A617FA0A.jpeg

Becoming a happy kitty!
FAC58C4E-251E-4CEC-86C6-B03D9DCC0C57.jpeg

All heart!
35F5C104-3682-4396-9BB2-715C10BE5112.jpeg

How does Lady tell me when a kitty needs something? Catspeak!
18D6DFAE-D7B1-433F-951E-18AFB74FF377.jpeg

She tells me in her own way. She gets what she needs from her secret hiding place….
2F102BB3-E6B5-4834-9B2A-9568A875E66D.jpeg

Carrying it carefully…
2331656D-144B-4268-B44F-310B283F916D.jpeg

She makes her way down…
306B67B4-FC84-4B20-A55E-A3AF8122A573.jpeg

Across the room…
1D1E5EFF-AB56-474E-8575-748168C8404B.jpeg

Gives it to me as she meows like a mom cat calling a kitten.
D1D13C83-0BC7-436E-862A-A85931126F04.jpeg

Then she gives me,” the look.”
406CCA6D-71CF-4530-93A5-78390C1722F7.jpeg

Hooman, someone needs comforting. The expression on her face and her body language speaks volumes. pearl99 pearl99 I agree. This kitty is amazing! Each kitty in their own way. I am always learning more from them about Cat-speak. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.