My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that things went the way they did. Not knowing can really play with your emotions. You go through all these thoughts of what you think happened and pray the worse case scenarios-never happened. Sorry to hear about your Ex's callousness to you and the kitties. That is a betrayal. Also sorry to hear the Sactuary owner snapped and let the cats out of her sanctuary. I pray that those kitties fared out better than you think. You never know. Here is a story that aired some years ago about a kitty who traveled 200 miles in Florida to get home. I hope you this makes you feel a little better. Cats are very good survivors, so you never know. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
Not "unusual" at all. There are many, many accounts of cats returning home after they and their people move, or they get out and get lost, or...? But very glad Holly is okay. Gotta wonder what these people's IQs are, to take her to watch racing?!! Of course we don't have all of the details. But most people hopefully know not to take their cats when they travel...no matter what some will argue.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that her "other things" are real. My favorite Dolly quote, which I remember clearly from an interview, was, "Honey, it takes a LOT of time and money to look this trashy!" That's when I gained tremendous respect for her sense of humor!
Yeah, I saw that, too. Gotta love Dolly! I love her personality, sense of humor, sharp-as-a-whip business acumen, and yes, her "trashy" image, too. Along with Norma Jeane Mortensen a/k/a Marilyn Monroe and quite a few "dumb blondes," she had, and has, her finger on the pulse of what makes America what it is, and she tapped right into it. More power to her! and those other women who decided to go out and get what's theirs.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not "unusual" at all. There are many, many accounts of cats returning home after they and their people move, or they get out and get lost, or...? But very glad Holly is okay. Gotta wonder what these people's IQs are, to take her to watch racing?!! Of course we don't have all of the details. But most people hopefully know not to take their cats when they travel...no matter what some will argue.
Some people have terrible judgement and don't give things that much thought. What a pity. However I am glad this kittiy found her way home. They truly are great survivors.

Okay everyone-here is my favorite Dollyism. This lady must have a whole book of her "pearl of wisdoms". She is truly is somebody special. ❤

'The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.”🌈💧

Have a great weekend everyone. 🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people have terrible judgement and don't give things that much thought. What a pity. However I am glad this kittiy found her way home. They truly are great survivors.

Okay everyone-here is my favorite Dollyism. This lady must have a whole book of her "pearl of wisdoms". She is truly is somebody special. ❤

'The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.”🌈💧

Have a great weekend everyone. 🙂
Yeah, on Para 1. They're dealing with living beings! So true that so many are found wanting in the IQ department.
Yeah, Dolly: but I love the rain!
IMG_2582.JPG

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But most people hopefully know not to take their cats when they travel...no matter what some will argue.
I've known a bare handful of "Adventure Cats," happily going with their families on hikes, boating, camping, ready for anything that comes down the pike. The most notable, who had one of the best names ever, was Noble Fur, named after the Noble fir tree. She was the "daughter" of a park ranger, and went everywhere with him. Those cats are rare. MY girl took one look at "outside," said, "EUUWWWW...dirt! It might sully my pristine paws, thank you very much, but NO!" And I have abided by her wishes. With the notable exception of Hurricane Florence, when I stuffed her furry fanny in her carrier and got the heck out of Dodge!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hugs. I pray that you get an answer to your prayers soon. Be blessed. ❤
Thank you.

However, I have very bad news.

When i got home Thursday afternoon I found Butter on the catio floor, lying and with his poop. He had no time to go to the litter box. I initially thought he was already dead and I got a blanket and wrapped him, still reeling with what just happened. When I was about to kiss him, he meowed softly. It was to be his last meow, his last breath. I strongly believed he just waited for me to come home to say his goodbyes.

And he was gone. Just like that. I will post on the other thread later. But I am still in shock, in grief and a part of me wants to just stop rescuing anymore. I am emotionally exhausted, emotionally spent, and emotionally broken down.

Strange but that morning before I left, I had this sudden gloomy feeling that it was to be my last day with him, so I carried him around on a blanket and sang songs before I left. I also played with my other cats which normally I had no time to do in the mornings. I was not sure why but I felt something was about to happen.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When i got home Thursday afternoon I found Butter on the catio floor, lying and with his poop. He had no time to go to the litter box. I initially thought he was already dead and I got a blanket and wrapped him, still reeling with what just happened. When I was about to kiss him, he meowed softly. It was to be his last meow, his last breath. I strongly believed he just waited for me to come home to say his goodbyes.
I'm so
IMG_3272.GIF
and am saddened
FC7C1F94-0DE0-4A18-BD0C-577A7E845CB0$L0$001~photo.gif to hear this news about Butter :alright:

He did really saved all his energy for his last breath to say goodbye to you as he knew you really loved him and cared for him. We'll miss you too Butter :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sending you hugs
a097059c2f6614a1a772b052658d71fd.jpg

d0997c04663be15cf348c8d2eaf72ad7.jpg dd1e4e1ac25da5bb43a2abeb0ac372c9.jpg

(I won't be visiting the CTB forum as it is too sad a forum for me to visit)

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom I know how to crochet. Lololol That picture and the expression on the cat……!lol The hooman must have forgotten to buy treats!
If the cat was knitting, would it be stitch one, purrrrl two? Lol

Thank you for letting everyone know I sent Purrs and hugs! The pictures of the cats spread out giving meow purrs made me smile.

neely neely So true!. Ferals and warm hearts! Cats of all kinds and warm hearts!

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose You are so kind. The kitten in the golden light and falling leaves did bring a smile. It kind of reminded me of the early days of seeing Thrasher dancing in the leaves in the woods with the wild birds.
The chicken soup looks very fresh. :lol: Stirred with feathers?

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 So happy to have you back and posting! Gypsy looks so happy! The tree is gorgeous and the house you are in is really neat. You can’t beat the older architecture IMHO!

C Clocat What’s the latest on HLA? BTW, I love the name! She’s so pretty! She looks calm considering she was at the vet visit!

Margot Lane Margot Lane That tree is spectacular. It has such beauty and character. It makes me think of Christmas too.

rubysmama rubysmama Ah. Dearest BJ. The mightiest of hearts. He is still my hero. All the cats here seemed to view him as hero as well. I have known many kitties and each is unique. BJ was definitely unique. I think of him constantly. I see him in Whistle , Banjo, Mitsy and all those that were dear to him. I think Flowers really misses his support most. These days she tends to cuddle me at night. I wish so much that BJcould have stayed longer but I guess he is doing his hero work another way now. It must be easier with wings. Recently I have moved Marcus and Surely into the main room. Marcus Trax reminds me sooo much of BJ and going way back to the days of the cat that brought Bonjour to me, the first Marcus. Maybe cats really do have nine lives? Lol Marcus Trax was sitting on the sofa with me today and just watching me. Content to just observe. The other day there was some noise and Marcus immediately protected his ward, Surely. He tucked her under his body and held her there until I reassured him that all was well. I had hoped to get them adopted out but it becomes far more difficult to imagine as I see him being another hero cat. If he is in the catio without Surely, he calls to her to join him. The door was shut the other day and when he kept calling, she climbed the outside and just stayed clinging to the wood beside him at the top. When I gathered her up to open the door it was immediate snuggling. Wow. No greater love. My heart was filled as I watched. Bj would approve. There are some great pictures of BJ from a day of him pleasing his lady Flowers as well as the last days. I laughed as I watched him fetch for Flowers. He had the biggest heart.
Duke’s Turkey impression! That made me laugh! Very good impression!

N NY cat man Six feet of snow! Lol That made me think of a time I had a Maine Coon/? Giant cat named Sasquatch and we lived where snow would be deep. We had a bit of land and no neighbors. Complete peace for the animals there. Sassy decided we should take a walk but when I opened the door the snow was too deep. No problem! Sassy drilled himself right into the snow and made us a little tunnel! Ack! I pursued with concern and he proceeded to make a game of popping up feet away and burrowing down to vanish again. He had a wonderful time but I returned wet and out of breath. I think he had a good chuckle as we sat next to the wood burning stove to thaw. A calm washing with his tongue and he was dry. It took me a bit longer. Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I totally agree. I wish everyone could have a chance to live close enough to animal communities to see that they have a working society, close family bonds, loyalty, dedication, joy, a form of sympathy and maybe these aren’t exactly like a human, they are pure. Bj, Marcus and Marcus Trax are purrfect examples and seeing all that BJ did through this thread certainly demonstrated what we have seen in so many others. These are very intelligent creatures. We sell them far short of what they are in reality. Recently I had a chance to observe a “rescuer” with her cats. This person usually rescued and passed them on quickly but has her “own”. I think the cats may have been the ones not adopted but it was clear that although she rescued, she did not have full understanding. I do not mean to be ungrateful for efforts put out but it struck me as very disconnected. Sad for her and not as wonderful as it could have been for all. Cats are not pets. They are individuals that should be admired for their unique and special qualities. An opportunity to truly know any creature is a great privilege. If we extend ourselves a little, the rewards are great and will leave us amazed. Any sacrifice will not be a sacrifice in the end. It will be repaid tenfold. We are the ones who benefit from knowing them. Past cultures had a chance to be closer to nature and ,I think ,understood this better. My hope is that as more people have animals with them in close quarters and society experiences changes, we will regain a higher respect and understanding. That would be a real privilege for us all.:heartshape:
Places like TCS are so very important! As those on this site share knowledge, we all benefit. I will forever be grateful to all here.
I do know the story of the kitties and I just want to say that I have found kitties many miles from home and I know of others who have and who took them in. Cats having a homing device installed by nature. They find the human nearest or dearest. Cats are so very smart and those who saw rescuers probably recognized them as rescuers. Any others surely found someone like us. It is very likely that they stayed close to where they had been living and did get help. We hold this thought in our hearts.

I love the rain too. The rainbows are a bonus! We learn from sunny days and rainbows.

strider rose strider rose It has been cold here too and is rainy today. I hope you Thanksgiving was wonderful!
I love the holiday trio of kitties! Precious picture.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Dolly Parton turkey? :flail: That’s a plus! Plus! I love a cold turkey sandwich! Unh. My mom used to smoke a turkey with hickory over a whole day and through the night. (Old fashioned grill) It was a labor of love on her part and I have never forgotten. Everything tastes better with love. It has been many years since then but I still find my mouth watering. Lol The bread was home made too. I can’t even have that kind of bread anymore and no cooking a turkey here but I enjoy the taste through memories. Lol Ummmm! Goin for some gluten free toast and peanut butter for breakfast now! Lol I wonder if Banjo could make home made gluten free bread? If I offer catnip, I bet Whistle could churn some butter! I am late to the table but Happy Fangsbidden to Hekitty and all others!

CatladyJan CatladyJan Yay!:bunnydance::banana1::woo::woohoo::jive: That is the greatest feeling and exceptionally good news! Patience paid off! Trust well earned!

tabbytom tabbytom They do stay in our hearts forever. I have many in mine to prove it.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 The cat would never admit it but he made that head dress himself! Lol

pearl99 pearl99 That cook book called for basting with beer didn’t it? Human or turkey? Lol

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I have heard some Dolly quotes too. Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I’ll enjoy the rain with you until the rainbow shows up! Lol

If strider rose strider rose is going to do a new picture of me, tell her to be sure ….
6B6DE207-5F23-40EF-93D5-6B2449069BB5.jpeg

To look at all the angles…
D8CD6771-287B-482C-B9B5-767DBD92726B.jpeg

To be sure to get my best side.
DED5F7DB-002E-4648-83BB-049035510F5F.jpeg

Oh…that’s right. All my sides are my best sides.
Lolololololololol
4ADB8019-620F-45F4-90A8-B3A55F746602.jpeg

Banjo! Lolol

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I just erased nearly half the previous post because it was to you about that precious little one you brought into your life. Such a very lucky kitty. Where would that sweet one have been without you? You gave love and comfort to one who would have been without anything or anyone if you had not cared. Yes. this little love waited for you and we all know why. To let you know that all you did mattered. It was of the greatest importance and you needed and deserved to know. I understand how hard it is to say goodbye but please know that if there is no one there for us to say goodbye to or who cared , that would be the saddest way to leave this earth. My tears are for you. An angel flies above you and is now free and will not need my tears. You just gained another guardian that is now filled with strength and dances, lighter than air. :grouphug2: You have my greatest thanks and gratitude for doing the hardest thing we can ever do, loving and being there no matter what the outcome. You may not feel like it now but you are a great and mighty kitty hero. These hardest times are when it is clearest who our heros are.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I know how to crochet. Lololol That picture and the expression on the cat……!lol The hooman must have forgotten to buy treats!
If the cat was knitting, would it be stitch one, purrrrl two? Lol

Thank you for letting everyone know I sent Purrs and hugs! The pictures of the cats spread out giving meow purrs made me smile.
4ba3a4631d1b950f32516524c8f526a1.gif

B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

They do stay in our hearts forever. I have many in mine to prove it.
:heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Strange but that morning before I left, I had this sudden gloomy feeling that it was to be my last day with him, so I carried him around on a blanket and sang songs before I left.
Words cannot express how sorry I am for Butter and you but you were so bonded to him and visa versa that I do believe he waited for you to come home. It was fate that he found love and warmth in your arms. :hugs: Thank you for rescuing him and making his last hours consoling and secure. RIP sweet baby boy.:angel:

As tabbytom tabbytom , I have a difficult time going to the CTB thread also so please accept my sincere and heartfelt sympathies. 💞

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

However, I have very bad news.

And he was gone. Just like that. I will post on the other thread later. But I am still in shock, in grief and a part of me wants to just stop rescuing anymore. I am emotionally exhausted, emotionally spent, and emotionally broken down.

Strange but that morning before I left, I had this sudden gloomy feeling that it was to be my last day with him, so I carried him around on a blanket and sang songs before I left. I also played with my other cats which normally I had no time to do in the mornings. I was not sure why but I felt something was about to happen.
Oh no! I am so sorry Maria. The thing with kittens is that some just don't make it through no matter what you do for them. Their is a condition called Fading Kitten Syndrome and it could be caused by a number things including the kitten not getting enough Colestrum from their mom in the first few days which leaves them susceptible to bacterial Infectiions and viruses. Parasites could be another reason. As well as heart defects or organs and body systems not working properly. I had a outdoor cat who was the runt of his litter. He and his sister were not healthy like their siblings. The sister died at 8 weeks suddenly and the male kitty made it to one year of age, and then he too went into decline. I took him into my garage, crated him and got medicines from rescuers-hoping that this was a parasite infection. He got treated for fleas, worms, and parasites and was on a couple rounds of antibiotics to get him to stop vomiting and start being able to hold down his food. I was able to hold him and talk to him. He was a sweet little guy. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about him.😢 I kept him in for 3 weeks until he put on weight and got better. I was so happy with how much better he looked and was doing that I released him only to have him go down hill a week later. I put him in his hideaway bed in his crate and try to get him to eat baby food which he loved, but he refused to eat. I had no meds at that time. So I ran out to the store to get whatever I could for him. When I came back he had passed away.😭 Poor angel, he is still sorely missed. ❤ Please don't be so hard on yourself. This unfortunately happens. I have even heard of stories about cat rescuers lose kittens despite great measures taken to save their lives. If these rescuers with all their experience, resources, and connections have a hard time saving a kitten's or cat's life, then know that Butter's passing may have been beyond your control.

Thank you for rescuing him and taking care of him. You did the best you could for him and he was very lucky to cross your path. HUGS. :alright::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
You are so kind. The kitten in the golden light and falling leaves did bring a smile. It kind of reminded me of the early days of seeing Thrasher dancing in the leaves in the woods with the wild birds.
The chicken soup looks very fresh. :lol: Stirred with feathers?
Good hearing from you again Jcatbird. So glad you loved that pic. When I look at that pic, I think of all the kitties whether indoor or outdoor who passed away-now in that great place above living happily. I love how radiant that pic is and how adorable that kitten is. Glad it brought fond memories of Thrasher playing with leaves outside.

The chicken realized he was lied to and that wasn't a Jacuzzi and promptly bailed. :lol: So the only thing fresh is the veggies added to the soup. Yes, Dolly should have a book published with all her sayings. She has so many that are either inspiring or lol funny. What a character! 🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Words of loving wisdom there. I am so very sorry for your loss, as I am for yours, Maria Bayote Maria Bayote . And Jcatbird Jcatbird , absolute words of wisdom about cats not being "pets" (I loathe that word and the concept behind it!) but individual beings.
Some years back I lived in an area where most people didn't have much. This is where all of the feral and semi-feral cats lived who we were able to get vetted and adopted. Several neighbors fed cats, and some adopted, but none actually got vet care for them. A girl in one family had found a kitten in a parking lot. I offered to adopt her and she agreed, since they had a multi-cat family and very little finances.
This little girl kitten was a little over two months old, healthy and happy. We took her in for her vet check and innocs, and since we had lost our beloved Sun to dry-form FIP at a record almost 16 years not long before, I felt it to be the responsible thing to do to get the intranasal vax for FIP for her.
Overnight, she developed the symptoms of wet-form FIP.
She was to go in in the morning to see our vet; but when I entered her room that morning, she had passed.
She was not yet 3 months old.
I was heartbroken. I've never gotten over this, or the loss of another baby kitten to a dog attack because my ex would not let me bring him inside.
Another older kitten was also murdered by dogs for the same reason.
These tragedies changed me forever. Healthy, happy kittens should grow into healthy, happy cats and have lifetimes of love, comfort, safety and joy.
I share your terrible feelings of having failed, Maria Bayote Maria Bayote , and of feeling doubt about rescue.
But in time, I have always known that those rescued, loved, and lost definitely want me to open my home and heart to another like them who is in need of what I have been able to provide: love, safety, comfort, and joy.
I hope you will also feel this in time. For now, you have to grieve, in your own way and time.
*Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Loved, little angel Butter! Rest, precious one, in Perfect Love and Comfort, watching over your loved ones here on earth until reunited in due time.* 🌈
IMG_2581.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.