Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been clicking through this thread and was wondering if JCatbird or anyone had advice on an older (at least 10 years old) spayed female feral that I have inside? Is there hope for socializing her? This post gave me some hope: https://thecatsite.com/threads/my-feral-and-rescued-cats.365435/page-783#post-5548912

We've been her for around 10 years, and she was an adult when we started feeding her. She would let us get to within a foot or two of her when feeding, but was always SUPER wary and we never attempted to pet her.

We caught her on Friday and had a vet see her for what turned out to be a nasty ear infection. I've been thinking for years that I'd like to try moving her inside or see if she could be an indoor/outdoor kitty. It's really cold here in the winter and she won't use any shelters I put out for her.

At any rate, she's been in a spare bedroom since Friday. As with all things, the internet is full of wildly conflicting advice. I fluctuate between thinking I can surely socialize her and feeling like a monster for keeping her cooped up in a room.

She will eat, sleep and use the bathroom in my presence, but has no interest in approaching me or interacting with me. I'm of course following advice on socializing her slowly.

I'm wondering if this means anything, or if this is just anthropomorphizing: since Friday, we've left a window in her room open wide enough for her to get out, for about an hour each day. It's really cold out and probably drafty on the floor where she's been hanging out, so I close it after that. The first few times, I opened a window over a desk at the opposite side of the small room she's in--today, I opened the window next to the bed, on the same wall she's been hiding against (she has also sometimes been up on the nightstand looking out this window when I come in). She didn't leave any of these times, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking this question! I have a camera in the room, and she did not go up to the window to investigate.

So, my question is--does this mean she's too oblivious or scared to investigate? Or that she doesn't want to leave? I realize that no one here can truly answer that question, but I'm somewhat desperate for advice on the right thing to do for her. She's a super wily, savvy cat--I can't imagine she wouldn't smell the fresh air and at least check it out to see if it offered an escape. A complicating factor is that on a couple of other occasions I cracked the window or kept the screen down so she couldn't escape those times if she wanted to.

I guess the way to find out for certain would be to leave the window open all night, but aside from the safety implications and the cold, I really don't want her to leave!
No one knows anyone else's thoughts unless they communicate them, whatever the species. So those questions are unanswerable.
As for letting her out, not advisable. There are far too many dangers to let cats roam. If she'll stay in, please keep her in.
She's been in since Friday? That's how many days???
It takes time for anyone, of any species, to acclimate and adapt to change.
Thanking you for getting her checked out It's amazing you could even get an appointment and get her seen in these times when many have to wait months. Hoping and praying you can get her spayed and get her baseline innoculations if you haven't already done so.
As long as she is safe, eating and drinking and using box, and comfortable, she is very well off. Time, love and patience may yield results in her trust of you. I hope so!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Clocat :hellosmiley::welcomesign: I am so sorry I have been absent. Lots going on here but I do want to respond to you. First, welcome! I am so delighted you found the site and also found something on this thread to help. Absolutely this kitty came to you for a reason and stayed for a reason. Whether feral or dumped/lost stray, you are saving a life. The older they get, the harder to survive and especially if this kitty was once an indoor cat. Cats are so smart and this kitty found you. If the window was open and the kitty wanted out,, she would have already tried. Please keep her in now. I am guessing she has been alone and socializing may take time if she has been truly feral. If she was dumped or lost and on her own, she will still need time but I have a feeling this will go more quickly than many. She is beautiful! I see you have already gotten great help and support from @dustydiamond1, N NY cat man rubysmama rubysmama neely neely tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 and Maria Bayote Maria Bayote and I am sure others are on their way to add help. Please keep this kitty inside. Socializing may not mean she becomes a total lap cat but most of the ferals I have worked with are lap cats now. Some have become my guardians rather than the other way around. Lol One thing I use a lot for socializing is food. Sitting to keep them company while they eat is bonding time with cats. If she is okay with eating in your presence then you can use that to become closer. Both as companions and physically closer. Each time you feed her, move a bit closer. Pursuing a cat can make them nervous but bringing them to you works better. Laying on your back , as a cat would do to show trust, is one way to help kitty feel you are approachable. I also use catnip a lot! Rubbing catnip on my shoes has often been the way I got my first petting from a feral.They tend to rub their head on my shoes. Lol Sitting in the room , on the floor at her level if possible, and reading or doing something you like to do can help give her time to watch you without pressure. There is cat calming music, cat purrs and cat heartbeat videos that can be found online and each of these can help. Sleeping in the room with her is a plus too. She can safely watch and investigate you as you sleep. You may find her curled up near you when you wake up. She seems relaxed so I think she is probably very grateful to be warm and safe inside. I find that all the ferals here show great appreciation for the comfort they find inside. No more being scared of predators, cats, bad humans, no more worry over the next meal, no more sleeping on alert, no more pursuit during mating season and no more shivering in rain or cold. The most fierce male feral I ever brought in found inside the best place ever. It takes time and patience as well as understanding that some want to be snugglers while others just want company. The old feral Tom I brought in wanted everything! Lol They tend to reach a point of feeling safe and they sleep well for , probably, the first time. They may eat more when they first come in because food was scarce before. They do begin to understand that the food, love and safety will not go away. Please do feel free to come here anytime if you wish to join us here or have a question and I will try to get to your thread. Sometimes I miss some threads but you can find me here and others who care. Everyone here will support you and this thread is a good place for a:grouphug2:
Thank you so much for saving this life! If you are a cat guardian, you are a kitty hero!
Does she have a name yet?
Here are some photos of the most fierce feral Tom and his progress. Lol

It began as “Don’t touch me!”
5DD56FA1-95FA-454C-BFA5-70AE37004250.jpeg

This position, back turned to me, is cat language for “I am dismissing or ignoring you.” It can work for humans too. Turn your back on a kitty, they often settle down because they know you are not watching.
BEEEA60F-87B6-4953-B826-D164C31BEF8E.jpeg

This may look like he would eat me but…
C8DDF648-59FB-46DB-A65C-55815E353FFE.jpeg

Weeks later, he climbed over me to get to his food dish and then he sat down on me to look up. He decided I was actually good for petting.
BB962CC7-41BD-4272-8BAD-CEC408CAF82F.jpeg

When all is calm…. Inside is very, very good.
E98B12F4-A7DC-4685-861B-2F52558BDFFD.jpeg

A fierce feral. Lol
8B031B27-5998-4EDE-9978-4243F48C1589.jpeg

Welcome and please do keep us updated!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The old feral Tom I brought in wanted everything!
Awww... BJ baby. You were the purrfect mix of brave and sweet, and put smiles on all the faces of those who read this thread. Wish your time at Chez Catbird could have been longer, but I guess you were needed at the Rainbow Bridge. 🌈 :angelcat:

Jcatbird Jcatbird : when things calm down (LOL) maybe you could post those pics of BJ you mentioned a while back. I know I'd love to see them. :redheartpump:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much snow did you get with this latest storm?
Not that much; only about a foot or so. Now, south of Buffalo was another matter. There, in Hamburg and Orchard Park, they got over six feet, and in one area almost seven feet of snow. That's what can happen when the Lake Erie snow machine cranks up.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man My favorite shows involve heavy rescue in Canada, a lot of it right over the border from you; I've learned so much, including about "lake effect snow" :shocked:🌨🌬
Jcatbird Jcatbird Awwww. Bigtime. Sweet,sweet BJ.
I guess I have an advantage, having been born into a family "with cat" who loved our cat, and all cats, very much; so I never really thought there was a lot of difference between us and our feline family members in terms of emotions and needs. If more people learned that all living beings, especially mammals like cats, have very complex emotional lives and that they want and need and feel a lot of the same things we do, it might be easier for them to connect with cats and serve -- I say SERVE! -- their needs.:yess:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely tree! What a personality! (I hope you get to keep it. I see how close it is). Reading a lot of books on trees, so love those photos…a bit of quick research says those berries are actually mini cones, but don’t quote me! So Xmas-y! Also, the bark peels off like that so it can grow.
Here some more photos so you can see how huge the cedar tree is. Landlord doesn't do outside maintenance so it's not going anywhere while he's around. The whole neighborhood is over 100 yrs old so there's lots of huge old trees. Our house was built around 1937
20221121_094445.jpg

The tan brick in the background is the 12 unit apartment bldg we moved from. It was built in the 70's. We'd been there over 23 years.
20221121_094342.jpg
Screenshot_20221121-094550_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221121-094226_Gallery.jpg

Gypsy in the window.

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob: He or she is precious and not being able to fend for themself when it comes to food is definitely a disadvantage in survival. Please keep us updated on this little one.🤗
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I share the same sentiments as neely neely . You are saving this baby's life. Thank you for having a heart of gold 💛. This kitty is very lucky to cross your path. 😊

Happy Thanksgiving to you to strider rose strider rose . Take Care. ❤

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob: He or she is precious and not being able to fend for themself when it comes to food is definitely a disadvantage in survival. Please keep us updated on this little one.🤗
Sorry I was out for a day or two I think. Cannot get access to internet as I used to. The little one is still at home. He is not like the usual kittens that are active and running around. This one is so well-behaved and just cries when hungry. My problem is he keeps pooping everywhere - my bed, my sofa. I try to keep it a secret from my husband because when he finds out this one can't use the litter box he would demand it would be returned outside.

Sad sweet face.
I noticed that too. He is very quiet, timid.

Can you save some food for him/her til the after rest have eaten? Such a pretty kitty. I'm definitely just suggesting and not criticizing because I know how wonderful, tenderhearted and caring you are.❤
He is already safe with me in the house and not with the outdoor colony. he gets to eat alone as my other cats also tend to avoid him. This morning he was crying and I noticed a cat nearby so I assumed it was the Mama cat. So I brought him outside to check. But the other cat just hissed when I carried him near her to sniff, so I returned him back to the apartment. My problem is he does not know how to use the litter box. First time I rescued a kitten that does not know immediately how to use the litterbox. I don't know what to do. I come home everyday with a poop on the sofa, bed, or elsewhere. This morning I contained him in the catio so he would familiarize himself with the litterbox.

I share the same sentiments as neely neely neely neely . You are saving this baby's life. Thank you for having a heart of gold 💛. This kitty is very lucky to cross your path. 😊
I hope I can keep him for long, given my financial situation now. I will try to look for anyone who can adopt and care for this sweet baby. I have fallen in love with him already, and it is sad knowing one day I may have to let him go, just like several others before him.

To everyone, including Jcatbird Jcatbird , stay safe. Sorry I have no time to back read all posts.
Kisses to the kitties.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My problem is he does not know how to use the litter box.
You can bring him near the litterbox when you think he's about to do his business. Then you show him how to dig by using your hand inside the litterbox without touching the litter in a digging manner or wear a glove and gently dig the litter for him to see. This will encourage him to dig.

Status
Not open for further replies.