My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lari Lari many, many good wishes for you! Mine are barely a year apart, and although the first three years (counting from birth of #1) were frantic, it got much better after that. By the time they were in school, I LOVED it! Mostly the same friends, activities, sports teams.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari many, many good wishes for you! Mine are barely a year apart, and although the first three years (counting from birth of #1) were frantic, it got much better after that. By the time they were in school, I LOVED it! Mostly the same friends, activities, sports teams.
I can't even imagine having kids so close together. You must be a true superhero. If this baby goes full term we're looking at a gap of 2 years, 3 months. And I'm hoping J will be slightly more reasonable by then. 🤞

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am told that once all is completed, this area will have the latest and greatest of connections. Hopefully the work goes well and rapidly.
From your mouth to God's ears. Saying a little prayer that this happens sooner rather than later. 🙏 Love seeing the new pics of Banjo. Did you have a chance to make her that cocoon? :butterfly: Please take care of yourself and all the furry felines at Chez Catbird. :hugs:

If anyone is wondering Hurricane Fiona did continue tracking towards my area, and passed over us last night.
Thanks for the update since I was wondering about your area when I watched the news yesterday. Glad there was no significant damage in your neighborhood. :thumbsup:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even imagine having kids so close together. You must be a true superhero. If this baby goes full term we're looking at a gap of 2 years, 3 months. And I'm hoping J will be slightly more reasonable by then. 🤞
My parents were married in December of 1937. My oldest sister was born in 1939, oldest brother in 1940, and the next sister in 1941. There were 4 more of us, but more spaced apart, my 'baby' sister being in 1957. It wasn't that uncommon in those days. Nonetheless, congratulations.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the arrangement of the slots, those outlets could be for 220 volts. They were made so you couldn't insert a 110 volt plug. That's just a guess, though.
IMG_2463.JPG

Not a great pic, I know. It's in a really dark spot behind an entertainment cabinet & TV. If you can't see it well enough, I'll try to get a better one sometime.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 432431
Not a great pic, I know. It's in a really dark spot behind an entertainment cabinet & TV. If you can't see it well enough, I'll try to get a better one sometime.
I must confess to never having seen such a receptacle before. Given it's location so near that outlet- always assuming that both are of the same age- that might have been for a television antenna. The way to find out is to use a voltmeter and see if there is any power. If not, take the faceplate off and see what kind of wire is attached at the back. It definitely is a polarized socket, meaning a plug can only go in one way, and with what looks like one round and one flat pin, you can only use a special plug in it. Of course, all of this is just a WAG.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone is wondering Hurricane Fiona did continue tracking towards my area, and passed over us last night. Lots of wind and rain, and my power went out around midnight. Amazingly it's back on already, so very happy that despite her strength and size, there was no significant damage in my neighbourhood.
So glad you are ok, hope everyone in the path of the hurricane is too.
I am also worried for my family back home. A super typhoon is now ravaging my country and hope no one gets hurt.

If this baby goes full term we're looking at a gap of 2 years, 3 months. And I'm hoping J will be slightly more reasonable by then. 🤞
Congratulations!

still have a slight cough but hoping that the orange juice will help
Try boiling ginger and add honey plus lemon and tea. It works every time for me.
Get well.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06
I did some more digging, and what you may have there could be for a radio antenna coil, which was in fairly common use from the '20s to the '40s, and they were mounted in the attic to improve reception. The upper pin was for a ground while the horizontal slot was for the antenna. It would seem that your first guess was correct.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06
I did some more digging, and what you may have there could be for a radio antenna coil, which was in fairly common use from the '20s to the '40s, and they were mounted in the attic to improve reception. The upper pin was for a ground while the horizontal slot was for the antenna. It would seem that your first guess was correct.
Thank you for "digging"! That's very kind of you. Yeah, well, I figured they didn't have TV then, right? so it would have had to be radio.
UH-UH! Ain't touchin' that. It's been there. It's stayin' there. And that's that.:insertevillaugh:

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* for everyone up and down the East Coast as Ian gets ready to do what he's gonna do. I have friends all through the area and all of you are in my Prayers and on my mind. (As are all cats there, large, small and in-between, and everyone who cares for and about them. Big Cat Rescue, for instance, which has large, medium and small feline residents, is in Tampa.):vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for "digging"! That's very kind of you. Yeah, well, I figured they didn't have TV then, right? so it would have had to be radio.
UH-UH! Ain't touchin' that. It's been there. It's stayin' there. And that's that.:insertevillaugh:
Actually, the first TV broadcast was in 1928, so it's possible that they had one. Maybe using the same antenna? Anyway, I once saw a silent short from 1928 that featured a weird-looking contraption that was supposed to be a TV, so who knows?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, the first TV broadcast was in 1928, so it's possible that they had one. Maybe using the same antenna? Anyway, I once saw a silent short from 1928 that featured a weird-looking contraption that was supposed to be a TV, so who knows?
Wow! I had no idea. I've heard people say they didn't get TVs before the 1950s. *They were probably happier then, too.* :sigh:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I had no idea. I've heard people say they didn't get TVs before the 1950s. *They were probably happier then, too.* :sigh:
Well, we didn't get a television until sometime in the mid-50s. It was one where you raised the top to a certain angle and viewed the picture on the mirrored lower surface, as the 'picture tube' pointed straight up. You had to sit close to see anything. Most stations also signed off after the 11:00 news. Novelty aside, TV wasn't that big of a deal back then.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we didn't get a television until sometime in the mid-50s. It was one where you raised the top to a certain angle and viewed the picture on the mirrored lower surface, as the 'picture tube' pointed straight up. You had to sit close to see anything. Most stations also signed off after the 11:00 news. Novelty aside, TV wasn't that big of a deal back then.
I can't even picture that. The oldest ones I've seen pictured were tiny or in big wood cabinets, but viewed front-on like modern ones.
Why would anyone bother with the kind you're talking about, I wonder? I guess they were bored or something.
And now, so many people -- my roomie included!!! -- view on a tiny (phone) screen. My TV is not large by today's standards but I like it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even picture that. The oldest ones I've seen pictured were tiny or in big wood cabinets, but viewed front-on like modern ones.
Why would anyone bother with the kind you're talking about, I wonder? I guess they were bored or something.
And now, so many people -- my roomie included!!! -- view on a tiny (phone) screen. My TV is not large by today's standards but I like it.
I don't know where my father got it, but he got it second- or maybe even third- hand, as a new set was beyond our means. I remember it being in a large wooden cabinet, but who made it I don't recall.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where my father got it, but he got it second- or maybe even third- hand, as a new set was beyond our means. I remember it being in a large wooden cabinet, but who made it I don't recall.
Sounds novel, but yeah...after the "novel" wears off, it's probably gonna be fourth-hand, right?
Funny enough, I pay $118 a month now for 250 channels of satellite dreck that I wouldn't miss, for the most part. It's just the only game in town now that I'm locked into living here and having to deal with a lot of stuff I don't like, don't miss, and don't want whenever I go out to do errands. Socializing is pretty much "out" and not being a consumerist/materialist, shopping isn't a pursuit, either. I do almost all of that online, anyway.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Lari Lari . Yay! Now J will have a little brother or sister. I am a "Irish twin". My brother is a year older than me. I had a lot of fun growing up, so I can't complain. All the best to you and your growing family. 👩‍🦲❤

To everyone in the path of this new hurricane, stay safe. I am thinking about you Jcatbird Jcatbird . Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I am also thinking about your family as well in the Phillipines with that Typhoon that hit there. I hope everyone is safe. rubysmama rubysmama I hope everyone recovers from the aftermath of Hurricane Fiona. I heard that Eastern Canada got hit hard. I really hope the weeks fly by and we are out of hurricane soon. 🙏🙏🙏 Well take care everyone. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.