My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe that's safe, but even then some of these so-called "green" companies donate to other big organizations such as The Nature Conservancy that harm cats and are determined to harm them out of existence. The Sierra Club is another org that purports to be good but condones hunting, for instance. Smithsonian? Like The Nature Conservancy. ASPCA and HSUS? Pay their heads enormous salaries while in fact doing very little to help animals. The "free" T-shirts for $19 a month may make the gullible public feel smug and happy, but they're a useless prize for funding those huge salaries. Do your research, people. If you care.
Yeah it's a dilemma for me being an avid bird person plus cats.
Maybe climate change and humans taking over habitat are more of a threat to birds than cats. But I wish more people would keep cats indoors for the birds and for the cats sake.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Oh, Sweetie, I am so sorry! My heart is hugging yours.

As for Christmas, it is a hard time of year for so many. I have spent the last 15 Christmases right by myself, and am totally content. I decorate, I watch the movies, I cook, and there are always two presents under the tree for me, and two for Hekitty...one each from Santa, and one each from the other. it was a conscious decision to enjoy this season without regard to my circumstances in relationship to the circumstances of others. And I had to learn to do it.

That said, when you lose someone dear so close to the holidays, it will cast a shadow for a long, long time. But outside the shadow, the light still exists. Hoping that one fine day, you will all see it once more!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess where we are!!!! Lol BJ loves coming here. He makes new friends every time we come. The new vet tech is now properly scented with head snorgles. More later. Bj is waiting for the return of the tech. Lol

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote : So sorry for your loss. :alright:

gilmargl gilmargl , and anyone else feeling down about the season, I hope it gets a little less depressing for you, and maybe even a teeny bit enjoyable 🤗

Jcatbird Jcatbird : lovely to see BJ, the "former ferocious feral". Hope it's just his yearly checkup, and that everything is well. :catlove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
conscious decision to enjoy this season without regard to my circumstances in relationship to the circumstances of others.
Yes, we have to find ways to enjoy life, regardless of our circumstances. 🤝

outside the shadow, the light still exists
Yes, gotta keep finding the light. Hopefully it leads us somewhere lovely. ☀

Guess where we are!!!! Lol BJ loves coming here. He makes new friends every time we come.
That's just nuts that your feral cats like going to the vet! 😲 My cats, their whole world comes to an end when they see a human or even just hear one. Demi does love other cats though. Raccoons & Dogs too apparently. When the neighbor's dog came over and barked his head off at Demi in the window, he was like, "Oh I like you friend." :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a most unusual occurrence today. For another thread, I was going to take a picture of the feeder that I built for the ferals. As it happened, Eightball was there, and when he saw me, not only did he not run, but he actually approached to within a very few feet, sat down, and then laid down. He has never done that before, although he has allowed me to approach him at times, but never too close.
20211201_144254.jpg
IMG_1879.JPG

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a most unusual occurrence today. For another thread, I was going to take a picture of the feeder that I built for the ferals. As it happened, Eightball was there, and when he saw me, not only did he not run, but he actually approached to within a very few feet, sat down, and then laid down. He has never done that before, although he has allowed me to approach him at times, but never too close.View attachment 403074View attachment 403075
Is he acting like he feels ok?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he acting like he feels ok?
It would seem so. On occasion, he would allow me to get fairly close, like when he was hanging out in the flower beds and I was deadheading them. This is, as I said, the first time that he has approached me. He has been coming around for a couple of years now, so maybe there is a little trust developing.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might add that whenever I'm outside and see him or Grumpy or Patch, I speak to them and then go about my business as if they aren't there, so they learn that I'm no threat to them. Patch, the calico, will allow limited touching, but not the others. She, by the way, is a TNR who mostly hangs out at our neighbor's place, but if they are out of town she comes to us.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I love the energy of that Orange Tabby running towards the camera in that video! Kitty seems so full of happy cat. Precious kitty.

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote This is my first chance to sit down and write to you again but you are ever present in my mind. No matter how much I am on the run, I keep you close to me my friend. We all do.:grouphug2: The shower is the best place for tears. There is something that seems therapeutic about that to me personally. I cry there too.:alright: I wish we could you help more than with words but there is love behind them. We send every prayer, thought, hope and vibe we can find.

gilmargl gilmargl I have been thinking of you too. When things happen around this time of year it just seems so much harder to stand them. I can only tell you that these days can be bittersweet for me. Being sad is part of life. No avoiding it. When I started these rescues there were extremely hard days. So many things. I just try to hold on to the thought that if I had not been around , none of these cats would be here for us all. These kitties endured and now give so much. From pain to blessings.

For you, Maria Bayote and all others who deal with sadness right now, or any other time, you can turn to us here. We all have good days and bad , sometimes awful times, but you have people here who care and offer all anyone can to help carry you through to a better day.:grouphug2: We hold each other up when needed. I have often owed people here a great deal for being my support. Thank goodness for the understanding shared by cat lovers here! My hope for others is that I can return to you all the comfort I received.

BellaGooch BellaGooch Thank you for joining in the support.:hugs:

pearl99 pearl99 As you may know, I love birds too. It’s hard to know these days which companies actually do support one creature without causing problems for another. Sometimes I think that most employees in a company don’t even know what their bosses support. Many, many long years ago ( many lol) I was very involved with Environmental protection. I was involved with groups that were trying to do good work. Sadly, the more time that went by and the more politics got involved, the more diluted the work or, even corrupted. Hard to know who does what! I left some groups as I learned more. I was often shocked at what I found when I started digging. Maybe just feeding the birds we see is the safest thing? IDK I have turned to just trying to find products that don’t use animals in their testing of products but who is to say that, even they, tell it all? It’s not easy to determine sometimes. I have seen things that keep me away from some places and groups.:doh: I speak out against them. We fo the best we can. It’s a complicated world. Better to try and support caring companies than to ignore the subject and just buy anything out there!;) I want to protect them all too.
Waffles! Vets can be very loving! Try getting the vet to give you extra pets. BJ has learned how to work a room. Lol It helps.He has them wrapped around his little paw.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It is a complicated subject. We are often “played” into thinking a group is protecting something we love. I find that any group that spends donation money to generate attention and higher donations is suspect. Donation money should go to the source in need and not to T-shirts, umbrellas and tote bags. These items act as advertisement to generate more money but if you look up the percentages of the dollars that go into advertising, it can be an eye opener. Charities do have to compete for donations but the percentages tell a story. Even that does not tell it all. Long ago there was a charity for children that was caught with their hands in the cookie jar.:headshake: These groups make it so hard for the truly good ones to help. I try to work with local groups that I know personally when possible and buy local products when I can. Small help but I can research them more easily.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Love the flowers! Those plants have really kept going! I guess they are grateful for being rescued. Gypsy looks so pretty among the flowers. She’s another blossom in the garden.
The chickens on leashes ….. I bet that got attention! Lol When my mother was a girl she walked her hare on a harness and leash. She lived in the big city and would take him down to the ice cream parlor. They shared a cone! Probably not great for the bunny but things were very different back then. She did live that rabbit! Lol
The video with the Moths/butterflies is amazing!!! That would be so beautiful to see! A cloud of wings!

tabbytom tabbytom Thay are pretty flowers. Nice to see color so late in the season!

M maggiedemi Prayers and hopes are always on a continuous loop.
I like sugar and a tiny bit of milk in my coffee. I first drank it that way abd have stuck with that. I don’t care for any bitterness.
Cheese and pasta are around. Lol No popcorn these days though. Not allowed any more and I miss it. It’s a pretty good snack food compared to many. As long as you don’t load it up with tons of salt and butter. I do like the butter though! Lol
At least the Muffin is butter free! :lol: She has been known to give a little sugar at times. A little spice too!

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Thank you for adding condolences too. It is such a hard thing to deal with and I hope our group efforts offer some form of support. I know we all care.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It does help to carve out a way to celebrate what you have. I try to do that too. I think it is so great that you and Hek share the day together. I do that with the kitties here. I hold on to what the holidays represent and I find that seeing the cats content gives me great comfort. I try to come on site too and if someone is having a tough day, I try to hold out a hand or paw to them. We can try to be there for each other.:hugs: Mutual support.

rubysmama rubysmama It is so good to see everyone here pulling together for others. I also hope for better times for all.
That was a wellness check for BJ but it was supposed to be for Lady. BJ has a respiratory illness, runny nose, sneezing, ear infection and generally feels a bit rough. He is now on four medicines to get him straightened out. He did rally well to flirt with the vets and techs though! Good ole BJ! He had everyone giving him attention. Lol He can work a room!

M maggiedemi We do have to work to get through things. It isn’t easy but if we can find small things to keep us going, it helps.

I agree that we look for the light.

The cats do love that vet. I guess they have all been there enough that they know the place. Maybe it even carries their scent these days!:lol: With BJ, he uses that to get more ladies! Sky kitty! He knows where the love is.

N NY cat man Yay! It’s always good when the litter shows up! Lol I’m glad you got the rest okay. Sometimes things work well! I believe in hope.
Maybe Eightball knows the weather is shifting and he plans on moving in? He might be considering it at this point. I have been wondering about him but since you had not mentioned him lately I hesitated to ask. Very glad to see him. He has his winter coat on now! Perhaps he will continue to move closer. By now he must know you are his friend. He is a very handsome fellow!!
You built a feral feeder? Pictures?

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Gypsy!!!! You own those steps, don’t you? Lol waiting for something? A bug perhaps? Lol

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I love the energy of that Orange Tabby running towards the camera in that video! Kitty seems so full of happy cat. Precious kitty.

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote This is my first chance to sit down and write to you again but you are ever present in my mind. No matter how much I am on the run, I keep you close to me my friend. We all do.:grouphug2: The shower is the best place for tears. There is something that seems therapeutic about that to me personally. I cry there too.:alright: I wish we could you help more than with words but there is love behind them. We send every prayer, thought, hope and vibe we can find.

gilmargl gilmargl I have been thinking of you too. When things happen around this time of year it just seems so much harder to stand them. I can only tell you that these days can be bittersweet for me. Being sad is part of life. No avoiding it. When I started these rescues there were extremely hard days. So many things. I just try to hold on to the thought that if I had not been around , none of these cats would be here for us all. These kitties endured and now give so much. From pain to blessings.

For you, Maria Bayote and all others who deal with sadness right now, or any other time, you can turn to us here. We all have good days and bad , sometimes awful times, but you have people here who care and offer all anyone can to help carry you through to a better day.:grouphug2: We hold each other up when needed. I have often owed people here a great deal for being my support. Thank goodness for the understanding shared by cat lovers here! My hope for others is that I can return to you all the comfort I received.

BellaGooch BellaGooch Thank you for joining in the support.:hugs:

pearl99 pearl99 As you may know, I love birds too. It’s hard to know these days which companies actually do support one creature without causing problems for another. Sometimes I think that most employees in a company don’t even know what their bosses support. Many, many long years ago ( many lol) I was very involved with Environmental protection. I was involved with groups that were trying to do good work. Sadly, the more time that went by and the more politics got involved, the more diluted the work or, even corrupted. Hard to know who does what! I left some groups as I learned more. I was often shocked at what I found when I started digging. Maybe just feeding the birds we see is the safest thing? IDK I have turned to just trying to find products that don’t use animals in their testing of products but who is to say that, even they, tell it all? It’s not easy to determine sometimes. I have seen things that keep me away from some places and groups.:doh: I speak out against them. We fo the best we can. It’s a complicated world. Better to try and support caring companies than to ignore the subject and just buy anything out there!;) I want to protect them all too.
Waffles! Vets can be very loving! Try getting the vet to give you extra pets. BJ has learned how to work a room. Lol It helps.He has them wrapped around his little paw.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It is a complicated subject. We are often “played” into thinking a group is protecting something we love. I find that any group that spends donation money to generate attention and higher donations is suspect. Donation money should go to the source in need and not to T-shirts, umbrellas and tote bags. These items act as advertisement to generate more money but if you look up the percentages of the dollars that go into advertising, it can be an eye opener. Charities do have to compete for donations but the percentages tell a story. Even that does not tell it all. Long ago there was a charity for children that was caught with their hands in the cookie jar.:headshake: These groups make it so hard for the truly good ones to help. I try to work with local groups that I know personally when possible and buy local products when I can. Small help but I can research them more easily.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Love the flowers! Those plants have really kept going! I guess they are grateful for being rescued. Gypsy looks so pretty among the flowers. She’s another blossom in the garden.
The chickens on leashes ….. I bet that got attention! Lol When my mother was a girl she walked her hare on a harness and leash. She lived in the big city and would take him down to the ice cream parlor. They shared a cone! Probably not great for the bunny but things were very different back then. She did live that rabbit! Lol
The video with the Moths/butterflies is amazing!!! That would be so beautiful to see! A cloud of wings!

tabbytom tabbytom Thay are pretty flowers. Nice to see color so late in the season!

M maggiedemi Prayers and hopes are always on a continuous loop.
I like sugar and a tiny bit of milk in my coffee. I first drank it that way abd have stuck with that. I don’t care for any bitterness.
Cheese and pasta are around. Lol No popcorn these days though. Not allowed any more and I miss it. It’s a pretty good snack food compared to many. As long as you don’t load it up with tons of salt and butter. I do like the butter though! Lol
At least the Muffin is butter free! :lol: She has been known to give a little sugar at times. A little spice too!

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Thank you for adding condolences too. It is such a hard thing to deal with and I hope our group efforts offer some form of support. I know we all care.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It does help to carve out a way to celebrate what you have. I try to do that too. I think it is so great that you and Hek share the day together. I do that with the kitties here. I hold on to what the holidays represent and I find that seeing the cats content gives me great comfort. I try to come on site too and if someone is having a tough day, I try to hold out a hand or paw to them. We can try to be there for each other.:hugs: Mutual support.

rubysmama rubysmama It is so good to see everyone here pulling together for others. I also hope for better times for all.
That was a wellness check for BJ but it was supposed to be for Lady. BJ has a respiratory illness, runny nose, sneezing, ear infection and generally feels a bit rough. He is now on four medicines to get him straightened out. He did rally well to flirt with the vets and techs though! Good ole BJ! He had everyone giving him attention. Lol He can work a room!

M maggiedemi We do have to work to get through things. It isn’t easy but if we can find small things to keep us going, it helps.

I agree that we look for the light.

The cats do love that vet. I guess they have all been there enough that they know the place. Maybe it even carries their scent these days!:lol: With BJ, he uses that to get more ladies! Sky kitty! He knows where the love is.

N NY cat man Yay! It’s always good when the litter shows up! Lol I’m glad you got the rest okay. Sometimes things work well! I believe in hope.
Maybe Eightball knows the weather is shifting and he plans on moving in? He might be considering it at this point. I have been wondering about him but since you had not mentioned him lately I hesitated to ask. Very glad to see him. He has his winter coat on now! Perhaps he will continue to move closer. By now he must know you are his friend. He is a very handsome fellow!!
You built a feral feeder? Pictures?

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Gypsy!!!! You own those steps, don’t you? Lol waiting for something? A bug perhaps? Lol
Okay, your wish is my command. I built this some time ago. I had the cedar shingles left over from another project, so I went with the rustic look. I also put in the outlet for the heated water dish.
20211201_144226.jpg

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I might add that whenever I'm outside and see him or Grumpy or Patch, I speak to them and then go about my business as if they aren't there, so they learn that I'm no threat to them. Patch, the calico, will allow limited touching, but not the others. She, by the way, is a TNR who mostly hangs out at our neighbor's place, but if they are out of town she comes to us.
I have had cats do this to me. It is a sign that they trust you a bit and are more comfortable with you. I always talk to the kitties and praise them and even crotch down (so they feel more comfortable with me). I have been able to pet 4 of them in the last year and I have one in my backyard that I knew since he was a kitten (he will sit on my lap and even let me rub his belly).

Today when I came back to the house (right before their suppertime) two kitties sitting on my stoop moved a little to the side to allow me to open my front door then they rubbed up against my legs. I was very flattered. That means the really trust and like me, and oh yeah--- it may have something to do with it being Din Din time. 😉 Consider it the highest honor when Eight Ball behaves that way to you. Maybe he wants to have a home for the Holidays. 😻🎄🏠☃ A Happy Tail.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats do this to me. It is a sign that they trust you a bit and are more comfortable with you. I always talk to the kitties and praise them and even crotch down (so they feel more comfortable with me). I have been able to pet 4 of them in the last year and I have one in my backyard that I knew since he was a kitten (he will sit on my lap and even let me rub his belly).

Today when I came back to the house (right before their suppertime) two kitties sitting on my stoop moved a little to the side to allow me to open my front door then they rubbed up against my legs. I was very flattered. That means the really trust and like me, and oh yeah--- it may have something to do with it being Din Din time. 😉 Consider it the highest honor when Eight Ball behaves that way to you. Maybe he wants to have a home for the Holidays. 😻🎄🏠☃ A Happy Tail.
He has that, too, if he cares to use it. I built a house- insulated- and I just bought a new bale of straw for it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose The kitties love you! They love NY Catman and his wife too. Houses of rescue and sanctuary. The cats know. ;)

N NY cat man Can you make room for us? Lol I would like a little house JUST Like that!! If I curl up and the kitties pile up on me, I think we could fit. :lol: That is wonderful!! You have skills I greatly admire. Thanks for sharing the photo.:heartshape:Inspiratiin for others!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would back up to post BJ and his latest adventure. It will take more than one post. It takes more photos to tell a BJ story. Lol

You shut me in?
2CF6EB22-EE52-4C1C-970B-6C232E237714.jpeg

This means something.
7FB81E77-F890-46D9-9642-B1F2EC831A85.jpeg

Yep! The door is locked!
5C97AFF5-D6F4-4824-A819-0DF3DC599DA1.jpeg

Why did you lock me in?
97D2F67F-9432-47AB-B62E-D846AAA9163A.jpeg

You covered the crate too!
6130558D-BD03-4CA2-906E-C2C1F328C3B2.jpeg

What are you up to human?
5BC2C346-6C2C-46B3-9BD1-F75CA2706D50.jpeg

We’re going for a ride?!?!?! Oh boy!
12C25CD7-6E2D-4B5D-AFA1-C31E5142B6C4.jpeg

BJ. What’s this?!
7AA02363-EA9B-471A-ABD1-AAC91889D3BD.jpeg

What?!
5372E7D5-DE6B-4B39-AE2C-FDCD5855A82F.jpeg

You pulled the towel into the crate.
BE891E46-C924-4941-91DF-4BE5A861AED7.jpeg

Well…..I got bored waiting.
01E0AE3C-85AB-4747-8128-0403A1DC5164.jpeg

Are we there yet??
6D7963FE-CB44-4218-94A9-23BD6D991932.jpeg

We are!! Yay! I know where we are!!:bunnydance:
78F5A03E-0FAE-4281-8C00-EAF72262D784.jpeg

So…. Let me out already! I want to explore!!
9782EBD5-CC38-4059-AA21-D0A95DE22F68.jpeg

Lol Not nervous at all. It doesn’t get better than this for a vet visit!! Well, it actually does get better for BJ. :lol:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
As it happened, Eightball was there, and when he saw me, not only did he not run, but he actually approached to within a very few feet, sat down, and then laid down. He has never done that before, although he has allowed me to approach him at times, but never too close.
Very gorgeous cat! It's heartwarming when they take a step of trust. I don't have any ferals that I've seen around me but Waffles was kind of semi-feral/stray and took a long time to trust, in baby steps.

Better to try and support caring companies than to ignore the subject and just buy anything out there!;) I want to protect them all too.
Yeah I looked up my coffee brand company and it's several people who started it, buying beans from farmers with shade growing certifications that are the most stringent. They aren't associated with any big company. I hope it's stringent enough, but it's the best I've found. I also think people feeding feral cats may cut down on the number of birds they need to eat. I'd feed them if I had any around me! Or any that showed themselves.

I talked to Waffles again about the vet and how BJ has such a good experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.