My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my ex and I were together two locations ago, we used to sometimes go down to the harbor. We'd get bread or crackers and feed the seabirds there. We also observed cats, and in time, met their colony caregiver, who was very reticent to talk with us but we gained her trust over time. She kept notes on every cat in the colonies (there were several along the route to the harbor) and they were of course all TNRd, cared for, and loved. This is how it SHOULD be. And the cats were probably valued as warehouse rodent controllers. There are working cat programs nationwide, employing neutered community cats in warehouses, breweries, and other buildings. They are valued workers.
Happy Global Cat Day, all! For more info on this annual day of advocacy for cats, please visit Alley Cat Allies' website at alleycat.org and view the video, which describes two very tragic and misguided events, in the US and Australia, as well as reaction to them. Everyone can get involved by sharing the video, advocating for cats where they live or globally online, doing TNR, adopting, fostering and more.
Jcatbird Jcatbird You have not failed, no matter what transpires in the future. You have made an advocate! and together, you are already helping.
Raccoons live here, along with oppossums, skunks, rats and mice, lizards...one of the positive aspects of living here, even though it's very urban, is that these animals DO live here.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Are my eyes fooling me, or is that second little girl actually a dilute tortie? Looks like I'm seeing gray and tan. She's a doll! Well, so is her sister, for that matter!
Sorry for taking so long to reply - I think she could possibly be classified as a dilute tortie but we have decided she's mottled light gray with peach! :lol:

Little climber.jpg

Mottled Kitten.jpg

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Next, I have had a constant back snd forth with that guy via text. He is willing to accept whatever I can arrange. He is willing to leave all cats there in place while I work on solutions. He is willing to do TNR. He even wrote me to ask about a company he called to relocate the raccoon.
That's amazing! I hope beyond hope he's good for what he says.

Never giving up.
The expression there says it all...

Sabertooth Tiger............... :lol: ,,,,,,,,Roarrrrrrrrr.............................
🎶 "I am Jcatbird Jcatbird hear me roar...." 🎶
In numbers too big to ignore...
I'll defend every cat in the land...

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 Thank you for the birthday wishes for Sarah! I bet she is giving hugs to all the fur babies connected to us. She loved all creatures.
You have learned to read tabby! Lol The markings may have subtle differences but seeing them in person gives you a chance to learn the patterns. Some are harder than others. Lol
Although I was always told not to write in books, I love finding notes in the margins. Like you, I imagine there is a story behind the notes. Stories inside of stories? Lol It’s getting a mystery inside a book as well as whatever the book is about. I have found names in books too. I recently found a book that had belonged to someone I knew long ago. Kind of special.

tabbytom tabbytom I know Some dinosaurs. In another ten years, I may become one too!:lol:🦕Hopefully I can just be a Sabertoothed Tiger.

Thank you. I thought about whether I should confront a strange man. Someone had to though. No one else stopped. I think things are moving in a very positive direction. It remains to be confirmed but we have texted back and forth about solving the situations. I got a Wow Thanks! Today.

rubysmama rubysmama I am so sorry I ruined the smile post for you but I do want others to know to fight for kitties. Even someone like me can stop and make a statement and , maybe prevent further problems. Please take heart and know that I am rallying every group locally to do several things. First, be sure that cat has a constant food and water supply( which he did not have before) , second keep watching for him myself, third to get other people watching for him. I followed his tracks today. They seem to be headed back where he came from. I spoke to everyone at the shelter here today. I was given many new rescue contacts in this area so, maybe we can get him or figure out if he returns to the warehouse or settled somewhere in the nearest housing area. Next, I have had a constant back snd forth with that guy via text. He is willing to accept whatever I can arrange. He is willing to leave all cats there in place while I work on solutions. He is willing to do TNR. He even wrote me to ask about a company he called to relocate the raccoon. I called them and it is a humane relocation to a private property set aside for this purpose snd protected. That company was great. They gave me the number for wildlife protection division of a government agency to call before using their company if preferred. Thumbs up for them! They happen to love raccoons. Talked a lot about how adorable they can be, how smart, how funny, how ingenious. All good. I relayed this back snd the guy was very appreciative. Next, started working on how to get the TNR funded. Working through a local program. Cannot work in the county where the cats are, so trying the county where I live. They will call me back next week after talking to those in charge. Next, the guy will do the trapping and take the kitties for TNR if I cannot get it done myself! Next, the company had complained because of motion sensors setting off alarms. Those motion sensors will be adjusted. It’s going to be a lot of work to get everything done but pleas know, I will not give up. Yes, seeing this was horrible. I was more upset than I can ever describe but, the fact that I did see will , not only give that cat a better chance at life but also, it has saved the others and has changed the attitude of the top person in charge of many warehouses in a port city! Can you imagine how many cats may be saved through this one person? He is open to the fact that these are a benefit to have in a warehouse! He just never thought or knew about the facts. He is listening. He will even allow me inside! This is a highly restricted place. He will allow rescuers inside! I can’t promise to find that first cat but seeing his tracks is a good start. Maybe we cannot save them all but maybe we can save a great many. Sometimes things happen for a reason. I was running late that day or would have missed that one second. The guy listened! He has dogs that he says are the loves of his life and now he can’t stop thinking of the cats. He is even trying to help the raccoon that had him so nervous before. Apparently, he has found his conscience. He is in a position to be a powerful advocate. I just didn’t know that when I wanted to slug him. I still kind of want to slug him but the more we talk the more I just want him to become a huge advocate and help the hundreds of cats that must be in warehouse all over the port. Two counties are working on that one cat and this one guy. The other kitties will be worked on soon. Sometimes the things that seemed the worst nightmare to me have turned into miracles. Do you know the story of what happened to me in the jungle? Terrifying but turned into a lifetime of wonderful things. What seemed to be hostile humans became my greatest allies. I never could have made that happen myself so I count it as miraculous. I promise you that I am completely devoting myself to following this and trying to turn it into a happy ending. For all. I will be heavily involved and all my time for the next week or more will be eaten up with this so posts may be brief for a bit but I will update as I go. I won’t have much more probably until next week but hoping, hoping, hoping to make all this become an opportunity for cats and shelters. And one raccoon. Lol I also want others to see how to attempt to make a change. Maybe I will fail but it won’t be for lack of trying or lack of hope. I have pages of texts from him! This is a great start. He didn’t slug me! A definite positive! ;) He could have totally taken me down but he was respectful and humbled. The other county is still a big problem. They advised him and I hold them more responsible. They promised to have an officer contact me but I figured that was false. It was. I cannot change what is going on in that county. Many have been working on that ever since I recovered Kodiak. Politics, funding, education, ignorance, power, all and more control that. It’s a big issue. It’s going to take time and lots of work. For now, I am putting my efforts where they might make a difference. Choosing my battles. I did notify those who are working on that though. Word will spread. Who knows, maybe I just met someone who can influence there too ,now that he knows he was told to commit a felony!! Let’s all do this…:vibes::grouphug: Strength in numbers.

Next time, (hope there is NO next time) I’ll try to remember to put aside my outrage long enough to type, “spoiler alert!” :redheartpump:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 As you and I believe, some things happen for a reason. I don’t know how this will all turn out but I am hoping for much better things. When I researched the company, it’s huge and powerful. If this gives cats a friend in high places, it could be a windfall for them. While I don’t believe everything I read or everything a stranger says, this is looking hopeful. Thanks for the encouragement. I know you do this kind of thing all the time but checking all this online is exhausting. Hands on rescuing and socializing is easier for me. I’m tired! Lol Making a lot of new local contacts. Also, after this happened, I spread education at every stop I made. I was on my soapbox all the way home. Lol Yes, please let it take deep roots! Let me find what that company needs and let them become cat guardians!!:hugs:

@Mamanyt1953 I just know they must be telling each other great cat stories! Surrounded by kitties too!! Maybe a few stories about us too.;)
I do find it amazing that his superiors didnt just blow him off. Unfortunately most companys probably would have. Thank Heaven this isn't one of them! It's sad for this kitty but just look what a ball was started rolling! Also he has folks looking out for him now. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom We are cat lovers, hear us roar! ;) A new advocate like this will be a big help.

rubysmama rubysmama I know many here are sensitive and I should have left that until I had more of the better end of the story. I don’t tell most of what I see but I felt this guy could be turned around. The place that cat originated is within the travel distance of a cat. The tracks I have followed have already covered a good part of it. Leaving food in that direction.

I do know about the spider thing. That last rose picture has an extra petal edited in for just that reason. Lol

Lasy was throwing a hard left hook at BJ but it didn’t even come near to making contact. I don’t think she really wanted it to connect. Lol Lucky for Bj!
Whistle is such a sweetie. He has chosen that spot on the piano lately. This is for you. Dreaming of things with little tiny ears! Lol

37146989-BF17-496E-AF65-4D575E0EEA01.jpeg

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Happy Global Cat Day to you and all others!!!! I will go and see the video. I have an idea of what the topic will be.
Thank you for saying I have not failed. :hugs: The ,”if only” , can be hard. I am not going to give up. I hope to make this into a huge positive for as many as possible. If all the warehouses in that company can become places for safe haven and TNR this will be huge. I’m pulling out all the fallen stars I have been saving in my pocket. This seems like the best time to use I can find.

gilmargl gilmargl Oh my! Such a precious little one! I love the expressions! I can almost feel kitten snuggles! I definitely got smiles from those pictures! Thank you for sharing those with us. :heartshape:It’s a good day to see kitty love. Of course, every day is a good day for that but it lit up my day.,

pearl99 pearl99 I don’t know how far this will go but I do know that the info about the raccoon was legit. I asked the company he had contacted about the guy. I’ll push it as far as I can. I made calls, emails and texts to the point of exhaustion. I start again Monday when more people are available. Prayers from everyone that all the funding needed is approved! If not, I’ll try to get it done another way.You made me laugh with the play on the words of that song! Thank you for that. Laughter helps.
I hope beyond hope.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I think that being caught commuting a felony and being on record with county phone calls and the wildlife relocaters put the company in a cooperative mood. Also, I am sure he shared my texts. I explained that rescuers don’t want to cause a problem but wish only to help solve the problems. That is what we do. We try to make it so that humans and animals coexist in harmony. I also explained the advantages of having cats guard their buildings and inventory. It’s to their advantage to listen. Not all do but hoping this carries through. I have a lot of information to support everything.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you do to finish off a slumber party with kitties?

What do you say BJ?

Ahhhh, after the ice cream? Do the dishes!
0BB7B462-E5CD-49EA-AE2D-978D8B1FAD24.jpeg

Volunteers?
D92AE427-3A3A-4591-AEB7-9BA886978828.jpeg

We want things squeaky clean!
53419B22-79DF-49AA-A83C-6B36773677EA.jpeg

Get the whole thing.
AB0C5C29-2D8C-4F60-8501-F0B7F13329CC.jpeg

Thank you Mackie! ( Disinfect later. Lol)
2D1F503C-A2CD-455E-B293-14763C0CCBD2.jpeg

Done! Now what?
87599876-2C80-4BA3-92ED-80AD3797DBD8.jpeg

Mitsy is getting sleepy.
707B8322-E726-4071-AB17-31522E2442C9.jpeg

Thrasher has already crashed. Lol
704729F2-7913-4B16-BE52-396C88E41B8C.jpeg

Time for the Slumber part of the Slumber party Bonjour.
03D28BF1-EBF9-418E-93A2-E5AC8F154058.jpeg

I have my spot! Tell Lady there is room for her!
C51059F3-12BC-40A1-B585-1D287CA03BA9.jpeg

All kitties are welcome.
5C56D7EF-C234-42FF-8C12-A97751D10A7B.jpeg

I think the slumber has begun. I hear Whistle whistling.
5004A46B-624C-4E49-BDD2-E0A24556AC73.jpeg

Sweet dreams of puffy clouds. Good night everyone!:redheartpump:
53FE399F-D3FB-41C8-9640-732A3F58FADE.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The place that cat originated is within the travel distance of a cat. The tracks I have followed have already covered a good part of it. Leaving food in that direction.
If there's a paw-sibility of finding its way back, I bet that cat will succeed. Thanks again, for all you're doing. :redheartpump:

Whistle is such a sweetie. He has chosen that spot on the piano lately. This is for you. Dreaming of things with little tiny ears! Lol

37146989-BF17-496E-AF65-4D575E0EEA01.jpeg
Awww... so sweet. :catlove:

Sweet dreams of puffy clouds. Good night everyone!:redheartpump:
53FE399F-D3FB-41C8-9640-732A3F58FADE.jpeg
Really pretty clouds. Thanks for sharing. 🌥

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those stars will hopefully do the trick, Jcatbird Jcatbird ! Yes, the trendoids are calling this the "anthropocene" age and it does seem that many in this post-industrial society worldwide have completely forgotten, or have never known in the first place, the fact that ALL of us make a world and that without the other species we will perish as well. They may think "science" (the discipline of trying to prove a theory, for any who are interested) and technology are the be-all and end-all, and that animals are no longer needed. They may believe that destroying the environment will have little impact on them as they will live in protected bubbles here or on other planets. They have already sold their souls -- they are not loyal, they don't have the slightest idea what love is, and they do not care about anyone or anything except themselves and what they want and need. They are soulless and they are already in the hells of their own making.
In the meantime, we who feel, think, and know differently will do our work as if life depended on it. Because it does.
Big Mackie will continue his diswashing expertise! and Whistle will definitely whistle while he works. There will be slumber parties and outside, under beautiful skies, cats will be cared for, and about.:goldstar:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom I had to run to get my phone to catch that. I nearly missed catching it since, moments later, it was gone. The last rays on the clouds was beautiful.

rubysmama rubysmama We know for sure that a cat ate the food! Only one set of prints so strongly feel it was the cat. Putting the food in the direction to lead it back.
That sky was a pretty one. Worth sharing.

pearl99 pearl99 Glad you enjoyed the sky! Licking to clean dishes seems to be popular. Lol Kids are so innocent. I bet your mom smiled.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It seems that there are insurmountable problems in every generation. Humans are flawed. I remember Grandmother talking about how the “new generation” was such a mess. Then my mother talked about the same thing. Now we see it as they did. As those before them must have seen it too. Looking back, it’s a wonder that we have survived. Somehow we have managed to keep the world going. I think that those who care keep things in check. As you say, Mackie keeps washing, Whistle whistles, the sun keeps rising snd setting. The sky is still beautiful. Technology is double edged. Perhaps the good edge will be our saving grace? If Banjo has anything to do with it, it will.;) We’ll keep catching those stars.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I had to run to get my phone to catch that. I nearly missed catching it since, moments later, it was gone. The last rays on the clouds was beautiful.
Sunrise and Sunset waits for no man. You have to be quick else you'll miss the magic hour.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone who has to medicate a cat, this is how I do it with the ferals. Lol It’s hard to force medicine on a feral, or formerly feral. Mackie gets Lysine regularly and has for a very long time. Pilling him is not easy.

Medicine time!
ACBEE7ED-7415-4ED5-8FD7-4B12F89CC5F5.jpeg

Again?
D0587C90-2B7A-4532-A276-9FCEE539E6C7.jpeg

Why should I cooperate?!
9BEC2541-5207-4D68-9267-0CA7672137A0.jpeg

It’s good for me? Then why does it taste bad?
C67B825F-5B60-4ACD-90B8-9CAB5F2C5BC9.jpeg

It’s in a sooon!
FD66DE9E-2462-4914-A297-04DAB6B0F8A5.jpeg

Yummy human food like chicken broth comes in a spoon!
C4463E38-929E-491D-A151-225B0A763BAA.jpeg

Is this a trick?
8A8D0B1D-2874-4A8A-88F7-C4F32910A14D.jpeg

I am suspicious. Give me a sample.
3010E462-63E2-4532-AC83-0EFABF8EF2A4.jpeg

Smells like chicken broth.
9AD3C47B-6554-4BF5-B629-E9DBDFD861D9.jpeg

Tastes like chicken broth and a tiny hint of bacon.
015F0229-AD10-480D-A4AF-2E9283622C75.jpeg

Food in a spoon is always so yummy! Ummmm! It is good. Can I have more?
936B7144-2D06-402C-B3F8-B52E87D561A3.jpeg

Unnnnnnh! You tricked me didn’t you?
B2E5CA16-B5D8-475E-A311-EE771E9A9588.jpeg

Whst is it about licking a spoon that makes things taste better?:lol:
I remember when I was little that when mother baked, the cakes and brownies were so good but somehow, licking the batter from the mixing spoon was always the most exciting treat. Why is it that the most wonderful part in baking desserts is licking up the leftover batter from spoons or beaters? Or, was it just me? :p It works with cats!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 beautiful! and thanks for sharing with us!
Jcatbird Jcatbird You've tricked Big Mackie? I don't think that'd be easy to do -- he's a very intelligent guy and he knows what he likes -- and doesn't like :barfgreen: but he loves you and his clowder, so he submits! He's such a sweet and handsome guy.
Yeah, it's true -- every generation seems to criticize the one that comes after, and no generation ever solves the big problems. Personally, I pray and wish that teaching (by example!) compassion and kindness would be prioritized over STEM and avarice. I continue to do that. Unlike some, though, I don't think it's right to throw shade on the generations coming up. IMHO they are doing some amazingly wonderful things and many of them care a great deal about our planet and those who (are supposed to!) share it with us. If there is any hope, it is in them and, of course, in the ones who teach them the things that are REALLY important.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 399049View attachment 399050
For those wondering about these, it's because early this morning Burdock went to join Velcro across the Rainbow Bridge. Sorry, but that's all I'm good for right now. I'll be back later; when I can't say.
OH, N NY cat man I am so sorry to read this sad news. What a gorgeous Burdock. Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Loved, sweet angel Burdock -- I am sure Velcro is right there to welcome you to the most beautiful place we cannot even imagine, where you will be watching over your loved ones here below until reunited in due time.
IMG_2657.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.