My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe that cat belongs to the guy in this poem...

Antigonish, by William Mearns

As I was going up the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish, he'd go away!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama That is so lovely -- you saved the best for last, it seems!
Jcatbird Jcatbird Banjo is indeed a rare beauty. And she deserves a treasure chest full of gold!
For my graduation, my cousin gave me a pair of earrings made from gold coins much older than those and not Christian. He was a coin dealer at the time. The coins were beautiful and very, very detailed.
Oh yes, everyone is enjoying the coolness and as the hottest place on the planet was right here last year, it is so wonderful that my roomie has done this for us. I don't want to get used to it because they might move some day -- who knows? But while we have it, it is so much more comfortable to live and work here.
Of course I've always preferred geeky guys, and Spock was the geekiest! When I found out he was a cat lover, that just added to his charm for me.
I did find "The Lady of the Islands" in several guises. This one:

Missing from my own life

had historical background, but there are others: ships, hotels, restaurants, and even a mosaic figurine.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari Banjo has really grown up! Her old carrier is a nice place to feel like she is wearing a turtle shell but not much room for stretching her legs. Lol The new one lols huge beside the old one.
Sleepypod? I’ll have to look that up. I haven’t seen one! It sounds like Banjo would want one though. Lol

@tabbytom:flail:So very true! I have probably searched for a black cat in a room where they weren’t! I have also found them and yet, not found them. Or..... not known I had found them. Bonjour has a lot of vanishing talent. Somewhere I have a photo from when I was searching for him. I looked into a box all black inside and was just moving on to look elsewhere when two gold eyes appeared. I’ll post it if a can find it. I wonder if he was really there when I first looked? :headscratch: Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Banjo is so funny. More about her shortly.
Vulcan! Ah the dear Mr. Spock! Beloved cat person. Leonard Nemoy was a favorite with me and his character , Spock , too. No other could match his portrayal.
Air Conditioning must be wonderful to kitties. I keep mine running more for them than for myself. I can’t imagine being a southern feline. Especially cats like Bonjour! I’m sure that Elvis and Suha relish the cool air.
Lady of the Islands? Lol Actually, that could apply to cats and orchids. The first story might be a little hard to dig up now but there are others that could apply. In fact, some ginger kittens saved the lady of the orchids who came from the islands. What goes around, comes around. ;) If you find the original story, you are quite the detective!

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 The flowers are lush and lovely! Bonus for everyone there!
Spoiled? Nah. Living with lots of love.
BTW I can’t see my screen in the sun either. I never know how the photos really look until I get inside. Sometimes I get good ones and others.... not so much. Lol

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Bonked a black cat? Oops! Purry has a habit of running in front of me in the dark of the house. I don’t know why he chooses that time but he loves to do it. I have bumped into him in the dark hallway before. Nothing hard but I always try to be careful because I fear stepping on a paw. It’s like he is playing ,” dodge the hooman!” As long as he steps on me, we’re good! Lol And he does! Surely I stand out a bit in the dark?!?!? :dunno::dancingblackcat: Maybe he just wants to dance on my feet? :lol:
Black kitties easily blend in with the dark, so it is easy to overlook them. If it is the night time and you have a window near your hallway, open the blinds a little and let in some moonlight--then you and Purry can be "Dancing in the Moonlight." :purr: Now since that wonderful song came in my head, I will share this video. Enjoy!!! ❤

:hellosmiley::welcomeback2: N NY cat man . It is good to see you back on the site. Hope all is well. You were most definitely missed--welcome back. 🙂

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black kitties easily blend in with the dark, so it is easy to overlook them. If it is the night time and you have a window near your hallway, open the blinds a little and let in some moonlight--then you and Purry can be "Dancing in the Moonlight." :purr: Now since that wonderful song came in my head, I will share this video. Enjoy!!! ❤

:hellosmiley::welcomeback2: N NY cat man . It is good to see you back on the site. Hope all is well. You were most definitely missed--welcome back. 🙂
Nice song -- thanks for sharing!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the prodigal has returned, and yes, I bear some flower pictures.
IMG_1716.JPG
One of our new day lilies
IMG_1717.JPG

Another of the new ones
20210720_161729.jpg

A hummingbird moth on the phlox.
IMG_1766.JPG

One of the gladiolus, none of which have bloomed for several years
IMG_1748.JPG

Another gladiolus
IMG_1779.JPG

And yet another gladiolus.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Love that! Black and cat his hooman! Lol
Can I switch a bit to welcome N NY cat man back though?

As we were going up the stair,
We missed a man who wasn’t there.
He was not there yesterday.
Now he’s back! Hooray! Hooray!

Welcome back! As you can see, your absence was greatly noted!
The flowers are beautiful. Glads make me glad! Lol How did you get the red one against the white background? Cool!

rubysmama rubysmama That one was worth waiting for! I would like an area like that with a whole area just for daylillies! Yours seem to do exceptionally well there. I remember when I was very young that my Grandmother has a place just for daylillies. She didn’t have the variety of colors that you have though. She mostly had yellows are orange. Maybe a sort of rust tone too. Do you put new mulch down every year? It looked so nice and neat!

tabbytom tabbytom That is a pretty daylily.
I happened to catch the cats doing something that played right into the “black cat not there” theme. Lol Purrfect timing on your part! Photos coming!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 What a wonderful gift! I love old coins. I was always drawn to the artwork on them more than the coin value. The history of the piece. But gold coins? Very nice gift! You must have been delighted!
If only I could adorn Banjo with all her heart desires. Lol All the kitties! Banjo may desire a bit more than some though. Lol She has quite an imagination and a wide range of interests. I think Froggie tells her stories of the world he has experienced. Lol Who knows..... he may have some buried treasure of his own!
Lady of the Islands. I read the link. Very interesting! What a life! Her family too! Wow! It struck me kind of funny that you chose that phrase yesterday. I don’t know if anyone like the lady of the link but....this is why I smiled at the first mention. Not so grand though.
0E8D5870-BE1C-438E-ADBF-5F3EDE089388.jpeg

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I love the song! I am wondering if Purry would dress up in his harness and have a dance with me!:lol: The words are right. Everything loose and light! I bet he would. Sounds like a plan if Lady doesn’t decide she should be dancing too. Ha! Dancing with the cats in the moonlight. That could cause us to get some attention. I can just imagine the image. A dream of cat dancing. That could be really fun!

Lari Lari Agreed! Ditto!

BellaGooch BellaGooch It’s nice to have our missing friend back! Agreed!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonjour is here to amaze!

He opened the door to Banjo’s new carrier.
CB04AB51-4D1E-484D-A3E7-B189E698B2E8.jpeg

Her treasure box is inside. Hmmm.
F8623F9B-2A79-4FEA-A3B6-E1EA75B60866.jpeg

Bonnie! Don’t go inside!
D42CD289-FC23-4439-BA8A-FC2B6D08E8A0.jpeg

Huh! Look at that!
DF8211A9-6593-416F-B423-CB0C64E80A98.jpeg

Banjo, did Bonnie go in?
1583FD8D-BE4D-4610-B0E0-407E5EC8E9D8.jpeg

I know I saw him go after my treasure but....
2677F0B4-0204-43B9-AE7F-11FF532974B6.jpeg

He’s not there!
C1ABA575-5D8F-45EE-97C7-DC9D6A22FB80.jpeg

He has to be here Banjo. I saw him too.
37BAC801-BB8D-4EB5-ADB3-E615DA994D62.jpeg

Whoa! It’s all black inside. How did he do that?
F45BCA20-5A35-4AB8-BD52-B6B2E442B616.jpeg

Maybe he’s like a bug. Is he on the ceiling now?
6BDBF41D-2780-457F-83DF-E9A56B9BFB8A.jpeg

It’s a kitty mystery! Where is Bonnie?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Love that! Black and cat his hooman! Lol
Can I switch a bit to welcome N NY cat man back though?

As we were going up the stair,
We missed a man who wasn’t there.
He was not there yesterday.
Now he’s back! Hooray! Hooray!

Welcome back! As you can see, your absence was greatly noted!
The flowers are beautiful. Glads make me glad! Lol How did you get the red one against the white background? Cool!

rubysmama rubysmama That one was worth waiting for! I would like an area like that with a whole area just for daylillies! Yours seem to do exceptionally well there. I remember when I was very young that my Grandmother has a place just for daylillies. She didn’t have the variety of colors that you have though. She mostly had yellows are orange. Maybe a sort of rust tone too. Do you put new mulch down every year? It looked so nice and neat!

tabbytom tabbytom That is a pretty daylily.
I happened to catch the cats doing something that played right into the “black cat not there” theme. Lol Purrfect timing on your part! Photos coming!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 What a wonderful gift! I love old coins. I was always drawn to the artwork on them more than the coin value. The history of the piece. But gold coins? Very nice gift! You must have been delighted!
If only I could adorn Banjo with all her heart desires. Lol All the kitties! Banjo may desire a bit more than some though. Lol She has quite an imagination and a wide range of interests. I think Froggie tells her stories of the world he has experienced. Lol Who knows..... he may have some buried treasure of his own!
Lady of the Islands. I read the link. Very interesting! What a life! Her family too! Wow! It struck me kind of funny that you chose that phrase yesterday. I don’t know if anyone like the lady of the link but....this is why I smiled at the first mention. Not so grand though. View attachment 390760

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I love the song! I am wondering if Purry would dress up in his harness and have a dance with me!:lol: The words are right. Everything loose and light! I bet he would. Sounds like a plan if Lady doesn’t decide she should be dancing too. Ha! Dancing with the cats in the moonlight. That could cause us to get some attention. I can just imagine the image. A dream of cat dancing. That could be really fun!

Lari Lari Agreed! Ditto!

BellaGooch BellaGooch It’s nice to have our missing friend back! Agreed!
Given the time of day that I took the picture, the glads were in partial shade. Since I didn't want them to be underexposed with the white fence as a background, I used the camera's flash as a fill. I also used the manual focus to blur the background slightly. tabbytom tabbytom could probably explain it better than me.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Given the time of day that I took the picture, the glads were in partial shade. Since I didn't want them to be underexposed with the white fence as a background, I used the camera's flash as a fill. I also used the manual focus to blur the background slightly. tabbytom tabbytom could probably explain it better than me.
You explanation is acceptable and correct except for the part for manual focusing. I think you meant using a wider exposure (bigger f-stop).
Manual focusing does not play a part in blurring the background. Blurring of background is either using a telephoto lens which have a shallow depth of field or a wider lens, lets say a 35mm lens with a f-stop of 1.8. But for a 35mm lens of f1.8, you need to get very close to the subject and get the subject in focus so that the background is not captured as opposed to shooting further away.

Your focus is spot on as well as you used the right aperture as the subject is on plane with the camera.

Some say one cannot achieve a blur background with a wide angle lens if you are shooting close ups. Yes, you can.

With fill flash, which you did a good job with, sometimes too harsh a fill flash will wash out the subject and if you dial the aperture down, you'll get an dark background instead as the light cannot reach the background.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonjour is here to amaze!

He opened the door to Banjo’s new carrier.
View attachment 390761
Her treasure box is inside. Hmmm.
View attachment 390762
Bonnie! Don’t go inside!
View attachment 390763
Huh! Look at that!
View attachment 390764
Banjo, did Bonnie go in?
View attachment 390765
I know I saw him go after my treasure but....
View attachment 390766
He’s not there!
View attachment 390767
He has to be here Banjo. I saw him too.
View attachment 390769
Whoa! It’s all black inside. How did he do that?
View attachment 390768
Maybe he’s like a bug. Is he on the ceiling now?
View attachment 390770
It’s a kitty mystery! Where is Bonnie?
Gypsy really likes the height and color of Banjos new carrier and says she'll forgive the vet visit and indignantly of being stepped on if I get her one. If you don't mind my asking where did you get the carrier from?

Status
Not open for further replies.