My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! To everyone, thank you! I am so interested in all the conversation. I have my own tendencies but I feel like I have two months of tired sitting on me combined with complete relaxation that comes with relief. Lol I’m not much more than a big old rubber band of human right now.

tabbytom tabbytom no more waking up with pounding hearts! Tell January that all the calls to Thrasher got through! Hugs and purrs sent back!
Time did crawl. Maybe it just stopped for us here. It’s working now though! Flowers are blooming, cats are purring and the sun is shining.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 The glow of the candle lit her way. I love your candles! Thank you candles aren’t nearly enough to express my gratitude.

N NY cat man We don’t need an emoji when we can say it with Hallelujah!!!! Glorious Day! You sure nailed it about BJ. He was astounding to watch. Does anyone ever talk about search and rescue cats because I can tell you now, that is a thing!!!’
I am so glad that little kitten has established a home. When I saw the photo with the paw extended to the camera, it really hit home with me. I immediately thought of Wanda Heart and Prints. Who could ever let go of such a precious one? That is going to be a love bug!
Make your eyes bleed? Lolololol Don’t do that! Taking your word for the answer.

gilmargl gilmargl You May have missed the step by step but the excitement is still here. Celebration time! Thank you! Thrasher is one amazing kitty! BJ too! The bond among cats is something I have often described but something we don’t often get to see demonstrated so dramatically.

rubysmama rubysmama Isn’t it great to wake up and find the world better?!?!?! It starts in a small spot but the ripples go on forever!!! The pool at Chez Catbird is sparkling again. It really was like a replay of the night BJ came in. It really made me wonder if the cats all had it planned from the start. “That human will let us all in if we don’t overwhelm her. Girls, you go fist and take the kittens. I’ll bring up the rear after the younger boy cats. “ Lol It worked and Thrasher remembered the procedure. Enter through the back, being sure that no possums or raccoons come in with you. Allow the human to think she is in charge by letting her feel important when shutting the door. Don’t eat her. She doesn’t taste like chicken but she knows where to get some. Cats are brilliant!

Lari Lari BJ is an exceptional cat. That face! He is a true protector too. It has been an amazing experience for me to be allowed into the lives of these cats. Although I have always loved and observed cats, I am constantly shown a deeper understanding. Seeing BJ face the place he had escaped from for one of his own.... it brought tears to my eyes. When Thrasher heard me say his name she answered and when she saw him, they touched noses and she knew he was there for her. That was the moment her whole demeanor changed and she left her hiding place. She trusted him so completely that she followed him across the most dangerous place in her eyes, open field. She just followed him back! Trust and love between them. It was absolutely beautiful. I am so very grateful to BJ for being BJ. I am quite sure that this was a once in a lifetime chance for me to witness such an intimate communication between two cats. I would trust and follow BJ too.
There is a thread on site about whether or not you think your cat would save your life. Yes.
Rest? Lololol It took a long time to get this tired. I’m going to update and keep working on the rest a bit at a time. No rush now. She is safe. Thank you.
Very glad you had a good Mother’s Day. Such a very special day for you now.:hugs: Hugs to Baby J.

pearl99 pearl99 Ahhhh! Yes. She is in. Finally. The days searching seemed endless but finally and end. A happy ending. While I am quite sure Thrasher has no desire to be back outside, I am curious as to what she keeps looking at. I know of the other cats out there. Could she be hoping for them to come too? I saw Mitsy go after Wanda Heart and return after leading her here. I am watching. I do think Thrasher agreed with Waffles, life inside is much better.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It was all about hanging in there wasn’t it? Now I am so thankful! I have gone from the dread of another dark painful day into what feels like a blast of rainbow filled sky and floating on clouds. The contrast is striking but one makes us value the other. Life does that but the wait is well worth it to have my heart equally divided back among the kitties, where it belongs. My hand holds purrs now.
Thrasher is happily accepting all snorgles. The more the better! BJ is accepting tuna rewards. Lol He is laying across my shoulders right now. His favorite place. Mine too.

BellaGooch BellaGooch I know! The patience wasn’t always easy but the hope was always easy. Dear BJ and the Clowder are over the moon too! Kodiak was soooo funny. She kept climbing the curtain to see over the crowd of cats gathered at the glass door to greet Thrasher. She hung on the curtain as long as she could. She is a smaller cat and she finally resorted to jumping straight up to look, over and over and over again. Springs in her feet and joy in her heart. Praising for it all!

pearl99 pearl99 Indeed, indeed, indeed! Lololol

I can scarcely believe it myself!

M maggiedemi Yes! Almost two months of missing our girl! She is back with us all now though! Just as beautiful as ever. She came close to walking in before dark but then turned away. I was so frustrated at having her so close and then gone. Then, my last attempt to call her and find her I’m the dark again, she nonchalantly strolled in the cat room door! She stopped at the entrance and my heart stalled. She moved forward again a couple of times. Each time I worried sge

Rolling on. You can’t steal what is already inside you. ;)

No. Don’t give up. Thrasher would not be back with us if I had given up and stopped looking. It was well worth holding on and rolling on. Even if it was a bumpy ride.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose That picture made me laugh! I love that you had that expression! Lolololol Happy surprises are hard to beat. Yay!!!! I know that ending came rather unexpectedly. Just when everyone thought the news for the day was fine, Thrasher fooled us all!

Happy Dance time!!!!!!’:bunnydance::dance::jump:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Happy Mother’s Day! It came just in time. Let me just say that it isn’t over yet but at least we have a start. Vet visit first thing. Prayers for that please! Whether it is upper respiratory, injury or something else, it is something. However, I am beside myself with relief.
Huge thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me all this time!!!! I could not have found her without help. The support was desperately needed. :grouphug2::thanks::touched::redheartpump:

BJ never gave up, nor did the other kitties. One last search from me for the night. I heard her call again. Thrasher decided to come inside for me. Bj and the others are just having to watch for now but they are happy.

Never, never give up hope. I am going to let Thrasher rest now. I am heading for the shower because we need an early call to the vet. View attachment 379816View attachment 379817View attachment 379818View attachment 379819View attachment 379820View attachment 379821View attachment 379822View attachment 379823View attachment 379824View attachment 379825View attachment 379826View attachment 379827View attachment 379828View attachment 379829View attachment 379830View attachment 379831View attachment 379832View attachment 379833View attachment 379834View attachment 379835View attachment 379836View attachment 379837View attachment 379838View attachment 379839View attachment 379840View attachment 379841View attachment 379842View attachment 379843View attachment 379844View attachment 379845View attachment 379846View attachment 379847View attachment 379848
OMG! I have missed a lot, but Trasher is back!!!!! Cheering here! Yay!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To give a bit more of last night, this is how it happened.
Thrasher had been coming close and then retreating all day and night. I sat there in the dirt, in the dark until she managed to tip toe away. When I lost track of her I tried BJ again and he located her but she kept pulling back away. When she ran outside the front gate I decided that she felt she was being chased a bit and it was better to retreat than to drive her away. I went inside and attended to many chores that had piled up. When I was too tired to do lire I sat down to grab a bite of food. As I sat there, Mitsy approached. She kept going back to the door and then to me again. I just couldn’t stop. I felt I was being encouraged to look again. Lol I went out and called again. I heard a distant meow. Each time I called, it came closer. Then o saw Thrasher in the light. She walked confidently towards me, flipping her tail. I started talking to her. “It’s time to come on ow. Come on Thrasher. Please. Keep coming. “ She did! She walked into the cat room and started to sniff at the things near the door. I froze. Everything I know about ferals was running through my mind. I should not make a move to scare her. Wait until she is well inside the door to have a chance to get her. I will only get one chance. Be absolutely sure she is far enough in that I can shit the door without her running out. Patience. Wait. Wait. Let her get interested in something to distract her and give her confidence that I will not move. She was into the halfway point of the room. Can I move fast enough to turn, grab the door and close it before she bolts. No time for any mistakes. No hesitations once I commit to love. I have to get this or I may lose her. Was there anything in the way of the door closing? I can’t turn to look now! This is my chance. So.... I turned and shut the door fast and hard. I totally crushed the camera I had been using all month to watch for her.:lol: Poor camera didn’t have a chance. One movement to turn and close. I leaned against the door to push it shut and Thrasher panicked for just a split second. I spoke in a calming tone and she moved further in the room. I took that moment to rip the crunched camera out and I locked every lock on the door. As if she could get through it! Lololol I sat down and waited for Thrasher to approach me. One little pet and then head scratches and full body massage! She purred with the most horse voice I have ever heard but she didn’t stop for hours! I have her everykomd of food we have. She would not eat but still purred and wanted snuggles. I finally retreated to let her rest after I set up several bed choices. First thing this morning the vet was waiting for us. We had already discussed Thrasher when I was there with Smokey. The plan was to bring Thrasher in as soon as I could find her. The vet had every hope that I would find her.
When I was in the waiting room, I noticed this on the bulletin board.
The vet had placed it there. Thrasher.
9103AE78-B32E-4E3A-AA8A-92BDAD83C937.jpeg

It says,” Missing!!! Missing loved cat Help!
A6585C75-F54C-4E5B-B8F7-34AF168A2B41.jpeg

Thrasher is tired.
971D0159-DBAB-4DD9-9FC2-796A2F737AA0.jpeg

Her voice is practically gone.
EA9059D3-3F2A-49A6-B9D0-9D44D9C24AA7.jpeg

The vet says that she went through some kind of trauma where she had been straining her voice.
59B92FE6-7967-4C47-8E98-DF3B80E446FF.jpeg

During the exam Thrasher decided to imitate a loaf of bread.
414E8F02-AE35-45ED-B815-22AEC186CF47.jpeg

She didn’t object or even move a muscle. We all think of ferals as being resistant and active but traumatized/ abused cats tend to just stop functioning. Don’t despair though. She will not stay this way. Tender loving care will bring back her confidence.
DF200557-4452-463A-8837-3B6FEEE96FD0.jpeg

Dear sweet one.
28A176F8-72DA-4C7D-BA32-FFF9693562D7.jpeg

Pets gratefully recieved.
ECE7FE7A-6360-4E18-BB1B-6883B1A3C10A.jpeg

She has lost five pounds but would not eat so the vet pulled out her, go to irresistible yummy food.
469D8DF3-CE51-420A-88B2-8BB6EDF32CA1.jpeg

She caresssed Thrasher.
672C9484-0A25-4C3A-BBF4-8B0D12D2C4D5.jpeg

Loving snuggles and safe place.
66EAD687-E163-40EC-B82E-E9AFFF7D7EEF.jpeg

No? She put a small piece of the food in Thrashers mouth.,
DC5F3FE1-D740-4E36-89BD-3EBAC2DD25AB.jpeg

And she ate! All of it!
E85D015E-2E92-4982-9152-52D08F755290.jpeg

She gave me some to bring home. Thrasher must be in quarantine for a week. It’s possible she may have some upper respiratory infection but she seems to be in fairly good condition. We don’t know what happened to Thrasher to traumatize her while she was gone. The vet had some guesses but we can’t really know. Her couch potato tummy is missing but she had some reserve on that. Lol For now we watch and just give lots of love and yummy stuff.
Thrasher perked up after the food and gave the vet a raspy ,”Thank you.”

6566A56A-498D-460A-AEC3-E23E2241C0DA.jpeg

A nap for the ride home.
1844B576-7EB6-4A7B-B679-ADC8EDA45D3D.jpeg

She is visiting the other cats at the glass door. They are all keeping her company. I made up the guest bedroom for us to share at night so that Thrasher gets one on one snuggling. I am anxious to get that started so.... good night everyone and my deepest gratitude to you all for loving Thrasher, as I do, and keeping me company as I spent so very many days hanging in there, rolling on and looking for our lost Brown Thrasher. This catbird is back in her nest. Finally! I am sure that Thrasher will need time to rest and readjust. The vet expects her to be nervous for awhile and some of her traumas, old and new may be apparent but she expects a full physical recovery and with the love of all who hold her dear, a full return to being a happy cat. She is already showing improvement. She’s a very tough lady cat! Snuggles from BJ, Mitsy and others will help by leaps and bounds next week. Another day to look forward to!

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird Thank you for the details. Tears are running down my face 😭 and I'm upsetting my cats. Thrasher's adventure is having the same effect on me as watching a film with a happy ending. Btw when one of my cats went missing for 8 days she returned with no voice at all. Much later we found out that some children had taken her and kept her in a garage. She had been fed but had no doubt been crying to get out. All is well that ends well. Have a good rest with Thrasher :catrub:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
no more waking up with pounding hearts! Tell January that all the calls to Thrasher got through! Hugs and purrs sent back!
Time did crawl. Maybe it just stopped for us here. It’s working now though! Flowers are blooming, cats are purring and the sun is shining.
Yes, January was delighted and he ran all over the house in celebration. :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
Thrasher must be in quarantine for a week. It’s possible she may have some upper respiratory infection but she seems to be in fairly good condition.
I cried again when I saw the poster of Thrasher at the vet but now I'm very happy that she's back home!!!!
It was your persistence and BJ's instinct and all the hopes at Chezcats that Thrasher made it home. She knew that love and care and hugs were waiting for her :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thrasher, from all of us here at Catsite,
E908DA86-AED0-4633-92B1-E9CAB20D12DB.GIF

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote You came in at the best time! Celebrating her return! Yay!!!! I hope you and all there are doing well! What’s new there?
Well I am busy moving. From rooftop apartment I'd transfer to a flat on the Ground floor at a different location. I realized its easier for me to feed any street cats when I am not on the higher floor. LOL.

I may be bringing along one regular street cat I have been feeding for the last 1 1/2 years. She already depends on me for food, so I am worried she'd starve when I leave. I am just not sure if she would attempt to return to the current location, though. I will see how I can go about through this. It will be hard for us to drive everyday to where she is now just to bring her food and water, that is why I came up with a plan to bring her along. I am just worried she'd get scared at a new territory and return to where she is now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, Jcatbird Jcatbird , for the explanation of how Thrasher came inside. It really is a miracle that she's back home. Yet knowing her history, and everything she'd already survived, we all believed it was possible. Just so happy she proved us all right.

I hope everyone at Chez Catbird finally had a calm, restful night. :petcat::catlove:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The story of how the kitten got adopted is kind of convoluted, but it boils down to this:
We don't do FB, or other social media, but our back-fence neighbor does, so while we canvassed the area to see where it came from, she contacted her friends. We all came up empty, but one of her contacts was the grandfather of the girl holding the kitten. When he saw how attached she had become in such a short time, and how the kitten reciprocated, he agreed to take him and surprise her wth him. I had already talked to the mother previously, and she had been taken by the kitten as well. So, it all worked out in the end. By the way; though I'm a lousy judge of age, I would guess that the girl is about 12 or 13, as she hasn't adopted the bored look of the typical older teen, at least not yet.
By the way, Jcatbird Jcatbird , you have said that BJ was the guardian of the clowder, not coming in until all of the others were safely inside. Well, he just did what guardians do- see to the welfare of those under his protection. And he hasn't forgotten how.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man That's a wonderful "tail" and I'm so glad you talked to your neighbor. And as an advocate who has worked for approximately 12 years on fb and other platforms, I am MOST grateful to fb for being the best platform by far for advocacy and reunions! I couldn't do without it. We'll never know how many precious lives are saved because fb is there, but we do know it is a lot, and that it would not be possible without the unique services that fb offers. FREE.
Jcatbird Jcatbird *tears of joy and relief!!!* She had to be shut up somewhere to lose that much weight. *PRAYERS* that she doesn't have any liver damage as a result. And now, you can *almost* get some quality rest. :hugs: :catlove:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man That's a wonderful "tail" and I'm so glad you talked to your neighbor. And as an advocate who has worked for approximately 12 years on fb and other platforms, I am MOST grateful to fb for being the best platform by far for advocacy and reunions! I couldn't do without it. We'll never know how many precious lives are saved because fb is there, but we do know it is a lot, and that it would not be possible without the unique services that fb offers. FREE.
Jcatbird Jcatbird *tears of joy and relief!!!* She had to be shut up somewhere to lose that much weight. *PRAYERS* that she doesn't have any liver damage as a result. And now, you can *almost* get some quality rest. :hugs: :catlove:
We're just glad that, through a joint effort, we got the little guy safely off the street; the main reason being that there is a guy who is suspected- but it has never been proven- of trapping cats and taking them to a multi-thousand acre tract of state-owned land and turning them loose to face whatever fate. So, time was not on our side, but we had to make absolutely sure that we weren't taking someone's pet, even If they were so careless as to let him run loose.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture made me laugh! I love that you had that expression! Lolololol Happy surprises are hard to beat. Yay!!!! I know that ending came rather unexpectedly. Just when everyone thought the news for the day was fine, Thrasher fooled us all!
I am glad that the pic made you laugh. You were going through a lot the other day trying to rescue Thrasher, I though you could do with a laugh. I was very happy when I heard the news. I broke out in a happy dance.:woohoo::jive:

Thank God that Thrasher is okay, despite the weight loss and losing her voice. Nothing some TLC won't cure. So relieved she is back with you. You got a wonderful Mother's day Gift. :catlove::heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're just glad that, through a joint effort, we got the little guy safely off the street; the main reason being that there is a guy who is suspected- but it has never been proven- of trapping cats and taking them to a multi-thousand acre tract of state-owned land and turning them loose to face whatever fate. So, time was not on our side, but we had to make absolutely sure that we weren't taking someone's pet, even If they were so careless as to let him run loose.
Two locations ago, where there were a lot of "community cats" we spayed/neutered/innoculated and adopted or worked with rescues to get adopted, our policy was that any cat coming into our yard got all of the above.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am playing catch up on a lot of chores around here along with giving lots of extra snuggles to Thrasher. I am short on time tonight but I wanted to let everyone know I am keeping up. Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Moving that kitty will take a bit of planning. Generally moving a feral takes giving them an enclosed spot to observe and get to know the new location before letting them outside again. A stray might adapt more quickly but a new place is something they need to know.

gilmargl gilmargl I didn’t mean to make you cry! I’m sorry! It is a happy ending though. Precious Thrasher is home with her human and kitty family.
Someone kept your kitty?!?!? I am so glad you got your cat back! I guess the children meant well? Your poor kitty. I am thinking someone may have held Thrasher too.

tabbytom tabbytom The poster of Thrasher at the vet moved me too! The vet tech did not know that I had Thrasher in the carrier. When I showed her, she cried too! The poster is still up on the bulletin board but now it has the word “Found!” Across it in big red letters. I asked that they do that to give others with lost fur babies hope and incentive to keep searching. Never give up!
I had to laugh at the thought of dear January running around the house in celebration! Hugs!!!!

Lari Lari Five pounds is a lot! I was shocked when I saw her. I am giving her anything she wants! She is mostly eating when I sit with her so I am sitting with her a lot! I think that as she feels more secure, she will feel more like eating. When she can be back with the others I expect her to improve greatly. She needs her furmily.

rubysmama rubysmama I just wish everyone could have seen the whole return and BJ rescue as I saw it. It was a heart pounding time but the most amazing interaction of cat love you could ever see! The most beautiful love story ever! The night BJ came in was a little intimidating but this was heart stopping until Thrasher was actually inside. I am quite sure I was turning blue from holding my breath! Lol I can imagine that I did witness a miracle. Certainly my dream coming true. Thrasher is an example to us all in perseverance. Never giving up.

N NY cat man I am so glad you were able to network the old fashioned way! In some ways the “over the back fence with a neighbor” is more personal way to find a kitty home. I don’t do FB or social networking either. I probably would have found the 100+ cats homes more easily if I had. Lol Still I managed to network through groups that probably did put out feelers that way. Texts , emails and old fashioned phone calls saved me. Friends too. That is a very lucky kitten. Another life saved! That guy who collects kitties to dump sounds like a horror! It sounds like the kitten has won a human for life. A love match for both! :redheartpump:
BJ is a guardian. The guardian of kitty dreams.

@tarasgrl106 I can’t imagine trying to deal with the numbers of rescues you work with without the aid of FB. It is an amazing tool to have! I keep telling myself that I should accesss it but I just have so little time available right now. At some point I am sure I will.
I fear that Thrasher was confined. I have some suspicions about what may have been in the works but not firm proof. However, I will continue to be aware. There were a lot of coincidental occurrences. I think some conversations I had may have helped to bring Thrasher home. Perhaps a guardian angel? I will probably never know the whole story but i

BellaGooch BellaGooch It was a love story between cats and human. I am still reeling a bit. When sleep comes it’s going to be. Rip Van Winkle!:lol: I may vanish into the bed for a couple of days but right now I just can’t take my eyes off of her. She is really home! I think she feels a little like that too. She keeps getting up to run against me again.:catlove:
BellaGooch BellaGooch It was a love story between cats and human. I am still reeling a bit. When sleep comes it’s going to be. Rip Van Winkle!:lol: I may vanish into the bed for a couple of days but right now I just can’t take my eyes off of her. She is really home! I think she feels a little like that too. She keeps getting up to rub against me again.:catlove:

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I did really need that laugh. Nothing relieves stress like a cat or a good laugh. Put the two together and you have the Purrfect mix. Thank you for thinking of that. I know you know that I love smile posts!

strider rose strider rose I managed to get to the post office today! I got your package. I haven’t opened it yet. I thought I would let you choose. Do we open it now so Thrasher can have something new or wait until Thrasher can be back with the others and they can all be together for fun? I couldn’t decide.

tabbytom tabbytom Thrasher is much calmer today. She is being very snuggly but only wants to eat while I sit with her. I am sitting with her a lot and we are just having quiet time together. It seems to be what she wants. Except for when she is looking at the other cats gathered outside her door. They are keeping vigil near her and she lays there just watching them and making biscuits on the door. They seem to be helping to calm her just by being there. It’s beautiful to watch. You can see the amount of love being shared.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I know I can always count on you. That is no small thing though.:hugs:

I seem to always be thanking everyone here. What would we ever do without you?:grouphug2:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
hrasher is much calmer today. She is being very snuggly but only wants to eat while I sit with her. I am sitting with her a lot and we are just having quiet time together. It seems to be what she wants. Except for when she is looking at the other cats gathered outside her door. They are keeping vigil near her and she lays there just watching them and making biscuits on the door. They seem to be helping to calm her just by being there. It’s beautiful to watch. You can see the amount of love being shared.
I guessed that Thrasher misses home and you and the rest of the kitties. Surely the kitties missed her too as they want to get near her and make her feel at home again.

Hope she calms down soon and be back to normal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.