My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Tjank you. I sure would feel better with her laying next to me here!
I just took BJ out. He definitely knew something was out there. I held him but we sat outside and I watched his reactions. He looked at a specific area and kept sniffing the air. When I heard a strange animal noise I brought him back inside. I went out and saw nothing but called loudly for Thrasher. I mostly hope to have scared away whatever made that squeal. I wish she had come to me but I am sure she is as alert to the presence as BJ and is probably in the outbuildings. Once again, someone has eaten the top out of the catnip plant in the catio! I am guessing that visitor cat. I’ll check it again in the morning. At this rate I won’t have any plants left! At least I know that works to get cats in the catio! Lol
Come on Thrasher! Fresh catnip!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick smile post. I took this first photo at about 6:00.
11270AE6-2CE6-42CA-BF38-19B87D75A411.jpeg

Three hours later I found him here.
F748112F-F7D9-4279-BAD1-59731F50631B.jpeg

Bonnie? Bonjure? Lolololol
1C7CB358-C6CF-4CDD-9927-86944B8F972E.jpeg

Four hours later... upright but still sleeping.
B0300C3C-D22C-405A-9642-BB61EA248157.jpeg

Bonjure. Pets? Poor little guy. Babies need lots of sleep.
4AF31E59-1763-4FDE-9BDF-8C18C8D18E7A.jpeg

Sleep? No. I was working. Guarding the house. Wide awake!
692E0736-1EA5-46F1-8FE2-991F373B5EDC.jpeg

It’s a tough job but somebody has to do it.:purr:
I may not get to post tomorrow night depending on what I can get done. I have spent a lot of time on the search and must do a few other things. I’ll either be building, cleaning or getting some supplies. Gotta have the important things like cat food and litter! Oh, and human food. I’ll be here if I get finished in time. Please carry on without me if I am running late. I’ll be thinking about you all! :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flybynight Flybynight Bonjure thanks you. He is a huge bundle of floof and snuggles. Welcome to the thread! Do you have a floof on your own? We love pictures here! Bonnie is a rescued kitty. Bottle fed, he still thinks he is a kitten even though he is a bottom heavy big boy. Lol

strider rose strider rose Tell Stardust thank you. We need all the help we can get!

BellaGooch BellaGooch Please keep up the prayers. Best laid plans....

tabbytom tabbytom I thought the Iris was beautiful too. The color on that one was very deep. Those grow wild here.

N NY cat man I actually don’t really do anything for birthdays anymore unless it is for the kitties. They love birthdays. Lol It looks like that visitor may have brought me a belated gift. Now I am two days behind.:doh: See following post. Lol

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was scrambling to do cat things and trying to figure out if I should build, clean or go out when I went out the back door to leave food for Thrasher. Hmmm. Food was there waiting. It seems that Chez Catbird was the right name!

Do you see her?
FA5551C4-F14D-4B86-B82D-86B3C4AE4380.jpeg

Moving into the catio might not be the best idea. Lol
625065FD-A895-4513-8B0A-E6E9FAA7ABA4.jpeg

She’s a quail! She spoke to me. I don’t know bird speak but I knew she could not stay there. So sweet.
429A32A0-F260-4175-A830-C59419072288.jpeg

She was right by an empty cat food dish. She let me hand her a water dish and drank.
E31EC29D-D92B-4A1B-92EB-2AA4C5D95454.jpeg

It is amazing what will just walk right into a cat trap.
BBF8EAE5-901A-47BB-AA40-5D7C1EFC7B90.jpeg

I brought her to safety and started making phone calls.
490994C4-C9A3-4603-B140-F2942ED4EDE5.jpeg

The cat room is now a quail room for a little while.
B0BCE946-1A5F-4A79-B588-3E072D5F83CC.jpeg

I fixed up a larger cage for her with everything she needs to make it feel like home. She doesn’t have any apparent injuries but I didn’t want to scare her too much.
F941D8E2-2FDA-43B3-A673-FC8435FE6271.jpeg

She seems comfortable.
A70F84B8-C24A-4539-A8D4-4FF9B74F1529.jpeg

I think she was cold when I found her. She had fluffed her feathers. She is better now.
765F7849-A055-42EE-9178-3AF04906961C.jpeg

She’s a beautiful bird.
D82DAF42-0EA5-4A94-99ED-EDA02453F884.jpeg

She is eating, drinking and going to the.... well, bird form of litter box. Lol
25769A0C-E066-49DF-AB30-25C0839A614F.jpeg

I got her all settled.
A53384F1-F0BF-4572-87E4-930DB9203609.jpeg

I took a few pictures.
CCF3B76B-DA9B-46D4-A8C5-D00F9188D35C.jpeg

She is moving around okay.
1135CCEF-66AD-4E93-9225-1104E7B40CD3.jpeg

I covered the cage and put the camera near to watch her. The camera puts out a bit of heat and she fell asleep snuggled next to it.
11AB3402-B8FE-4B1A-A6DB-D8ACBDE5BC69.jpeg

Heh. Who is watching who?
CAAA78BD-6353-4873-8133-CE8327C8690B.jpeg

She will be going to a wildlife person and also get a vet check. Just another day at Chez catbird. I will definitely be tied up with the bird rescuer tonight but I wanted to let everyone see this precious little life. Maybe she chirped a message from Thrasher? Birds of a feather?;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She will be going to a wildlife person and also get a vet check. Just another day at Chez catbird. I will definitely be tied up with the bird rescuer tonight but I wanted to let everyone see this precious little life. Maybe she chirped a message from Thrasher? Birds of a feather?;)
Oh, how sweet. Thanks for keeping her safe, and call the wildlife people to come rescue her. :hearthrob:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous flowers, Jcatbird Jcatbird -- you live in such a beautiful part of the country. Just a shame there are so many scumbags there. There are scumbags everywhere, unfortunately. They spoil things for so many of us who just want to live and let live, protect and respect, and love innocent living beings, like Ms. Quail there -- thank you for giving her time to warm up in safety! There were California Quail visitors frequently in the Mojave. I miss them very much. Around this time of year we'd see them all in single file, an adult in the lead, babies behind, and the other adult bringing up the rear.
BJ is amazing. And Bonjure? A floofy panfur after my own heart.
strider rose strider rose GORGEOUS beauty!
tabbytom tabbytom That announcement is nothing short of genius. May it work!!!
Today I learned of the passing of one of my bosses, mentors and teachers. He was a committed and passionate activist on behalf of animals, very intelligent, creative, caring, and according to some who knew him better than I, quite a character. He lived a good long life, accomplished much, and continues to be inspirational to many. RIP Elliot Katz, DVM, founder of In Defense of Animals. Some of you may know of the origanization and/or its work. Elliot was vehement in his opposition to such terms as "owner" and "pet" as I have also always been, insisting that "guardian" and "companion animal" are far more appropriate terms and encourage respect far more than the antiquated, paternalistic terms. For that, he has my undying gratitude.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was scrambling to do cat things and trying to figure out if I should build, clean or go out when I went out the back door to leave food for Thrasher. Hmmm. Food was there waiting. It seems that Chez Catbird was the right name!
Jcatbird, recently, you've been very busy and now your hands are quire full. Do take time to take a break and don't over work. Work is never finished, so slow down and take care of your health :hugs:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just on for a few minutes but wanted to respond. Also, we have a lot of feral rescues going on around the site! Yay!
rubysmama rubysmama That bird was so beautiful! She is now in capable hands and I got an update. She does not appear to be injured or sick. She is able to fly and no one really knows why she allowed me to get her so easily. She just walked right into the trap! Lol I think she was a very smart bird and knew that we have cats and hawks around here. She went to a safe sanctuary! She is boarding in a large cage next to another bird now and they have become friends already. Her future looks bright! I had her in the bigger cage and they transported her in it. I had used a small Fancy Feast box to make her nest. She snuggled right down and I started calling her Fancy bird. I am told that she is now named Fancy.
A happy ending for this story.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I have always loved hearing the call of the Bobwhite. They make a different “Good morning everyone” call. Have you ever stumbled across a covey of quail? They make a lot of noise as they all scatter. It will really startle you if you don’t know they are around you. Lol
That poster at your library was funny. Did you see when I posted the pictures of Banjo trying to put on my mask? She is such a funny kitty! The straps are elastic and she had great fun figuring it all out.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 This is a beautiful area. The people who don’t appreciate it are really missing out! They have no idea how lucky they are to be surrounded by beauty. Like Ms. Fancy Quail. Such a gentle bird. They are social birds and she didn’t seem frightened of me at all even though quail tend to be a bit jumpy in the wild. A far different personality from the owl I raised or the other wild birds I dealt with in my younger days. I am so happy to hear that she is flying around and doing very well.
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Dr. Katz. That is a great loss to us all! I did not know of his stand on the term Guardian but I certainly have always felt that we cannot “own” any living creature. I have often referred here to “Cat guardians.” I do, sometimes feel that the kittens I have raised view me as a cat mom but it’s more about a bond of love than viewing them as human babies. I am only here for them out of respect and love. Certainly, if anything, they own me and not the other way around. Dr. Katz had a very deep respect for life and fought for others to have respect too. He fought for our world and we all owe him our deepest gratitude. He has mine. I know you feel the loss more than many and I send my deepest sympathies.

As for dogs in masks.... if you were a dog being pictured on a cat site, you would disguise yourself with a mask too!;) You did notice the only photo of the dog with a check mark is the one where the mask covers his face. :thumbsup:

strider rose strider rose I can tell you cherish your fur babies. They do own our hearts.

tabbytom tabbytom Thank you so much for noticing. I am having to prioritize and with the Thrasher issue, that’s hard. Oddly, the bird made me slow down. I had to sit for a couple of hours to convince her that she needed to stay calm let me get her and then that night I had to sit and wait for her transport. I had to shop today but tonight, I rest. I am planning to sleep past dawn tomorrow too. I will put fresh food out before bed and just let the property be very quiet. Maybe that is what is needed now. I am tempted to answer some posts but, as you said, work is never finished. I’ll be taking a bit of time for the kitties here and for some rest. Thank you again.:hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.