My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about lumber. Last week I needed some pressure-treated 4x4s. Yikes! $16 each, and that's after my 10% veteran's discount. Remember something kiddo- I can say that because I'm older than you- if ever you have a question about something building-related, ask. If I have an answer, you'll get it. I don't profess to know everything about everything- I am not now nor have I ever been a politician- but I know something about a lot of things.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man Thank you from my whole heart! Right now I am trying to figure out what to put under the catio to keep ground moisture from rotting it. I need to use things at hand and be quick and quiet. Rain coming today. I have some hard ventilated plastic shelving that could work. I could not get metal supports to mount it above the surface. I think the shelving will work. I’ll send a photo later but right now I cannot make a sound because...
I think I saw her! There was a cat curled up behind a crate in the old derelict greenhouse where she once lived as a feral. All I could see was the rump and heavy breathing. Obviously terrified. I softly called Thrasher and the kitty did not move. I backed slowly away to come get my cat luring foods and gloves. When I went back, no cat. I put my very best lures out and retreated to be silent. Most don’t run far at first. If it is her and she saw me place the food....... HOPE! Not one creature stirred here at all yesterday. No food touched until last night and that was possum. Nothing but possum ate last night but very late, when all was silent I went out and called her name over and over. I probably woke all the neighborhood but maybe it is Thrasher. 🤞:lovecat4::thanks:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
So beautiful! We have scarab beetles here who are green and gold, and iridescent green on their undersides. They are breathtakingly beautiful and sound like small drones.
Green June Beetle
I was an insect nerd as a kid, and still am, actually.
I like beetles. We have June bugs but they are a tan color, when they land in your hair they are so hard to get out since they cling so tightly with their spiky legs. Your green ones are gorgeous.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man Thank you from my whole heart! Right now I am trying to figure out what to put under the catio to keep ground moisture from rotting it. I need to use things at hand and be quick and quiet. Rain coming today. I have some hard ventilated plastic shelving that could work. I could not get metal supports to mount it above the surface. I think the shelving will work. I’ll send a photo later but right now I cannot make a sound because...
I think I saw her! There was a cat curled up behind a crate in the old derelict greenhouse where she once lived as a feral. All I could see was the rump and heavy breathing. Obviously terrified. I softly called Thrasher and the kitty did not move. I backed slowly away to come get my cat luring foods and gloves. When I went back, no cat. I put my very best lures out and retreated to be silent. Most don’t run far at first. If it is her and she saw me place the food....... HOPE! Not one creature stirred here at all yesterday. No food touched until last night and that was possum. Nothing but possum ate last night but very late, when all was silent I went out and called her name over and over. I probably woke all the neighborhood but maybe it is Thrasher. 🤞:lovecat4::thanks:
💓 :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :catrub:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
🌻🌞🤞😽

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best solution is to use heavy gauge- like 6 mil- plastic sheeting. It can be laid out and then weighted down around the perimeter with dirt or bricks. You can use clear or black plastic- it doesn't matter- but it has to be thick enough to resist punctures from stones or roots. The stuff isn't inexpensive, but you won't need a mortgage to get it, either. If you have to use a second roll, just make sure to overlap the seam by 3 feet and use caulk to seal it.
One question: how big is the catio? You could put something under it to raise it off the ground, then use the plastic under that as a moisture barrier..

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote WOW, kitten gettin' bigger! She's so adorable. Would love to see her whole family, too!
Thanks, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 We have that model as well, but I haven't seen them at this location. They're in the area, though. And yes, they do fly into hair.
Jcatbird Jcatbird *PRAYERS* for it to be Thrasher you've seen, and for her to come IN! NOW! SOON!
If you're only going to have your catio there temporarily, heavy plastic sheeting or tarp might work; but if it's going to be there permanently, a concrete slab might be the best way. DIY concrete would be a huge project; do you have concrete pourers in the area who could come and pour it on a levelled patch of ground where you plan to put the unit? We had this done in one of our barn stalls. Fascinating process (to a weirdo like me, anyway!)
Oh, the problem with the veins. I have it, too. Very scrawny, so you'd think it'd be easy, but it's not; and I'm a roller, too, which complicates matters. Glad you got your IV without springing too many leaks ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man This catio is not large. I already have a tarp over it and I have rolls of heavy guade plastic. The shelving would act to lift it. Now that o may have spotted her, I can’t change a single thing for fear of scaring her off. I could not tell if she is scared or breathing hard due to something else. I am staying away for the moment in the hope that she will return to the same spot. Now that I have seen her, she is likely to move again.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I have enough concrete on hand to do a floor. The problem with having wood in contact with cement is moisture. I can’t use treated wood because it isn’t safe for cats. I am sealing the wood but not sure about the concrete holding water. I live in a very wet place. Lol

BJ is alerting me. Gotta run.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man This catio is not large. I already have a tarp over it and I have rolls of heavy guade plastic. The shelving would act to lift it. Now that o may have spotted her, I can’t change a single thing for fear of scaring her off. I could not tell if she is scared or breathing hard due to something else. I am staying away for the moment in the hope that she will return to the same spot. Now that I have seen her, she is likely to move again.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I have enough concrete on hand to do a floor. The problem with having wood in contact with cement is moisture. I can’t use treated wood because it isn’t safe for cats. I am sealing the wood but not sure about the concrete holding water. I live in a very wet place. Lol

Seal the concrete.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you can slope the ground so that water can't pool under the catio, you shouldn't have a problem. If you still have any of that defective tile, you could use that as a barrier between the concrete and wood. Outside, any fumes could dissipate readily and not cause trouble.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can slope the ground so that water can't pool under the catio, you shouldn't have a problem. If you still have any of that defective tile, you could use that as a barrier between the concrete and wood. Outside, any fumes could dissipate readily and not cause trouble.
*Excellent ideas!*

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Todd had a mystery sighting 17 hrs ago. Wish there more fosters or a shelter to keep these kittys from being released back outside.
In a seperate occurrence he caught a feral about 16 hrs ago with a neck rubbed raw from a collar but collar is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.