My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am well aware of what the opinions are about feral cats. There are some misunderstandings out there. Kittens aren’t the only ferals that can socialize. Let me speak to everyone here about ferals and socializing. Every cat here was feral. They were swamp cats. No humans until people started hunting them and drove them onto my property. At first I could not get near them. It took time and work but as I stayed in the edge of the woods with them, I became a part of the scenery. It was a process. From being still like a tree to placing out food, to even camping out with some, they learned I was not a threat. Feral became semi feral that way. Kittens were usually pretty easy. Some adults were fairly quick to start trusting. I was just a big cat that knew how to hunt and provide food. Lol Some were more suspicious. Flowers and BJ being the most aggressive. I’m not suggesting that every feral will become a lap cat but I do believe that every cat learns. Every cat can trust on some level. Well over a hundred in this last colony became happy as inside only cats. The previous colony , the same thing. That means that every member of both colonies were brought in. Alley is the only cat that does not like to be held but even Alley loves pets. She will never love strangers but she never wants to go back out and she allowed me to pick her up and carry her into the house in my arms without any objections. She is a cats cat. I allow her to be whatever she wants to be. She is affectionate and adores the bed, rare pieces of bacon as a treat and allows me to groom her, apply flea meds and whatever else is needed. I get the stink eye at flea meds. Lol She knows she is safe and loved and returns that. The most aggressive and the last two to be brought in? Two of the most affectionate. Bj will go to anyone who enters the house. Both gave me some dents while outside but never anything but snuggles once they realized they were safe. I think that if I lived outside and struggled to survive, I would be just as cautious as a feral cat. Probably far less trusting and loving. If I was then rescued, I don’t know if I would ever adjust as well as a feral cat does. I have never met a feral cat that did not show relief once they understood that inside was safe and their human loved them. From newborn kitten to an estimated eight years old, all the ferals I have brought in here have had happy lives inside. Feral to semi feral to some level of socialization, they can all be rescued. Yes, some still like outside but in my personal experience, that becomes the exception. The cats understand that outside carries risks. Recently Purry got stung by a Yellowjacket inside the fenced garden. The very first thing he did was to run to me. Safety. Cats are smart. The human big cat will protect and inside doesn’t have yellowjackets. Obviously we can’t protect them all with their own home because too many are out there right now but we can do TNR, feed ferals and get the numbers down. In time ,as shelters and rescuers make progress, may no cat be at risk of climate, predators, hunger, cars or humans. Ferals are just kitties that haven’t had the chance to tame a human. I am now a very well trained human. Lol Every life of any creature is important. The thing we all need to remember is, never give up and let’s hope to give every feral a chance to tame a human. I think some humans need taming more than others but if any creature can do that, it’s a cat! N NY cat man Too bad they can’t choose to spay and neuter some humans.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 The Egyptians and many other cultures understood the value of cats! If cats raised us, we might all be better humans.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose You ca bet that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Will be taking care of any human that hurts a cat! There is a plan of action in place.
M maggiedemi Many rescue groups put out the information that ferals can’t be socialized. There are several reasons they do this but one is that shelters are overwhelmed by the number of cats being surrendered and the number of ferals reported. There just isn’t enough space or funding to socialize, provide care and/or adopt out all the kitties. They don’t want high euthanasia rates either. Most try to save the kittens and do TNR. We hope that as the number of ferals born drops and laws penalize owners who dump or neglect pets become stronger, there will be a shift in these statements. Education about socializing will help too. That’s why forums like this one are so important. TCS is giving us a chance to educate and assist in the socialization of more ferals. I can tell you that more people are adopting ferals every day. I am seeing new posts here on that subject all the time now. You can help with that too. Let everyone who posts about adopting a feral know how you rescued Maggie and Demi and how much love they have brought into your life. That support will help them to see a great future with a feral. ;)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with feral cats. You saved many lives who are now living in homes where they can feel warm, safe and loved. Every cat under your care must feel like they won the jackpot. Thank you for going out of your way to understand the swamp kitties and win their trust. To earn a cat's trust is the highest honor. :purr: All the best to you and the Clowder!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this set up you have for your kitties. They are beautiful. Thanks for all you do for Kitty Kind.😻
Thank you. Sadly, we no longer live there and everyone in these pictures is probably at the Bridge now (long, long story involving divorce) but I will always do everything I can for cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, it's great to see many are helping out the ferals and strays and for some, gave them homes, and I'm really thankful for these people in this thread and other threads as well as those in other places.

For me, I was glad January adopted me as he was doubled dump at 3 weeks old with a gaping wound. First he was found alone and was brought back home and was dump the very evening as I think they saw the open wound and left him in a box out by the stairwell.

I was here the next morning for a visit and was told that a cat was found the previous day and was left out in the night. I quickly rushed to see where it was and as soon as I approach the box, January, hungry and scrawny, with all he strength, climbed out of the box to greet me. I took him into my arms and hugged him and a little while later, I saw the wound.

I just wondered why he did not try to escape during the night as his meowing could have attracted other hoomans :think:

Well, nuff said. Here he is from the beginning, skinny and scrawny till now :-

In his make shift litterbox, as there isn't a single cat stuff in the house
IMG_1673.JPG

Getting ready to visit the vet the very next day, in a borrowed carrier. He's a feisty little kitten.
IMG_1678.JPG

After the vet's visit, obviously still complaining about the vet's visit
IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1691 copy.JPG

Cone taken off after a few days and still nursing the wound.
- IMG_1708-photo-full.jpg

This was taken some 2 weeks ago. He just past his 5 years old in mid December last year. Double dumped and double rescued
IMG_9778.jpg

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's great to see many are helping out the ferals and strays and for some, gave them homes, and I'm really thankful for these people in this thread and other threads as well as those in other places.

For me, I was glad January adopted me as he was doubled dump at 3 weeks old with a gaping wound. First he was found alone and was brought back home and was dump the very evening as I think they saw the open wound and left him in a box out by the stairwell.

I was here the next morning for a visit and was told that a cat was found the previous day and was left out in the night. I quickly rushed to see where it was and as soon as I approach the box, January, hungry and scrawny, with all he strength, climbed out of the box to greet me. I took him into my arms and hugged him and a little while later, I saw the wound.

I just wondered why he did not try to escape during the night as his meowing could have attracted other hoomans :think:

In his make shift litterbox
View attachment 366128

Getting ready to visit the vet the very next day. He's a feisty little kitten.
View attachment 366129

View attachment 366130

View attachment 366131

View attachment 366127

This was taken some 2 weeks ago. He just past his 5 years old in mid December last year.
View attachment 366132
Absolute heartbreaker, then and now! :redheartpump::loveeyes:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise

In his make shift litterbox, as there isn't a single cat stuff in the house
View attachment 366128

Getting ready to visit the vet the very next day, in a borrowed carrier. He's a feisty little kitten.
View attachment 366129

View attachment 366130

View attachment 366131

View attachment 366127

This was taken some 2 weeks ago. He just past his 5 years old in mid December last year. Double dumped and double rescued
View attachment 366132
Thank you for helping this precious baby. He is so lucky to have you! I love hearing rescue stories. Very touching.❤❤❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all for asking about Scamper! I am more and more sure that this was a human, for this reason: Scamper used to come to the front door for his food and his loves...now he comes to the back door, where humans rarely ever go. However, he is coming every feeding, so I'll add one to the back door for him. I generally feed the back door cats twice a day, and the front door cats 3 times (mostly for Scamper). He is a bit more settled around me, even from just yesterday...still wary if I try to come out, so I'll be giving pets from the doorway (and TREATS) for the next few days, as he settles again.

YES, adult ferals can be socialized! All it takes a far more time and patience than MOST people are willing to put in, but it certainly can be done! Even my dear old Austin (whom I think now rests in peace) allowed me, after two years, to stroke him as he ate.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 Waffles is a lucky kitty to have you. You have great patience and it is working! It can take time but the love does get through. I’m so glad you have been there and I know he is happy!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you. I wish the words for the ferals were marked in stone and placed wherever a cat needs help. Maybe if the message was seen enough, it would sink in to everyone. That is the goal we have set and, together, we works towards a better world.
I have always loved watching the Thrashers here. I had a funeral for one when I was nine and I used Elmers glue to write Brown Thrasher on a couple of old bricks to mark the grave at my Dads house. I sprinkled the wet glue with dirt and about 7 years ago my Dad came across the bricks in a remote corner of his yard. He could still read the words and asked me if I knew why the bricks were marked with the name of the bird. I was amazed that the glue had held the soil and the words could still be read. I explained it to him and the bricks were still there when he moved out three years ago. Every life counts. Even 50 or so years later, I remember that little bird and how beautiful it was. Maybe we don’t have to carve things in stone. A little love and the right glue can hold some things together.
The place you had was amazing. The kitties had a cat palace that you provided for them. Their lives were changed by the love you gave them. You are one of the greatest cat advocates I have had the pleasure to get to know.

BellaGooch BellaGooch I am also thankful to you and all the others on the thread and in the forum for the love given. I know that Pants, Bella, Eden and all the others agree, you have our respect and gratitude as well. I would wish for blessings for all too. May every feral, lost or stray cats find a human to tame.

N NY cat man Digger, Stretch and all the others there knew they could trust you with their lives. They were ferals but feral no more. Happy. The cats are the real experts.;)

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I think I am the one who hit the jackpot here. Living in kitty city is a true privilege. I have felt honored. With each kitty that trusted me, my heart swelled with joy and relief. I literally cried when I got the last cat in. When I started the rescues, it seemed like such a distant goal and many told me I would never reach the end of the colony. “ You can’t possible rescue them all”! Well, you never know unless you try and keep trying. I was lucky and I know that but it can happen. I’m so glad I didn’t listen to the negative comments. I’m so glad that the cats allowed me their trust. I’m also grateful for all the positive comments I got here. Some days and nights, that kept me going. Some days we all celebrated together over another cat safe or laughed together over another kitty expression. This is where Chez catbird needed to be.:redheartpump::grouphug:

Everyone here is a part of Chez catbird.

tabbytom tabbytom As you know, I have a special place in my heart for January. That precious little one must have stayed in that box and waited just for you. Such a precious face and still is but now looks so happy. You saved his life. He has certainly grown into a healthy kitty and you can see the contentment in his face now. To you and all others, you have my heart forever. In my opinion, the last photo shows a January smile!! That’s Purrfect. This is the month of January. :clap2::redheartpump: Of course, every day is a celebration of these furry lives but a month full of January equals a month of smiles.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 So, a human? Then Scamper moved to the safe spot. He is so smart. He is now in a place where it will be difficult for a human to interfere. I am going it was a one time thing of someone who is not going to reappear. Hopefully you will be able to watch now and prepared to take any necessary action if they do return.:argh: May the force be with you!:vibes::sorry::whistle::nono::angrywoman:
Dear Austin. Another hero kitty. An example of great love and kindness that set an example for all humans. I know he is still watching over all there.,:rbheart: Wherever he is.:grouphug2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi I thought of you immediately. ;) It’s a Muffin kind of day.

Muffin went in with the Bears!!
6A21CC40-8D8C-497E-A0E5-642471833B5D.jpeg

She invaded and put her scent on the bear cave! Oh my!
E3A0739A-7C0A-4190-BFA9-B3C1526605C1.jpeg

When I told her she needed to leave the Bears alone, I got the stink eye!!
2C4123B3-5264-46A6-9B03-DF2CD9611BAF.jpeg

After promising treats, I was forgiven.
D6766C1F-858F-4D85-9212-D355FEEABBA4.jpeg

However, it was the job of Mountain Bear to check out the scent.....rubbit away.,
DC9358A7-593E-4935-A41D-62C916050DF5.jpeg

Once order was restored....
49B890D6-09C5-4D45-A756-0C3536C673F8.jpeg

The kitties wanted a little attention.,
03441934-C4F0-4FFC-82A2-365D44383F81.jpeg

Shall I tell you the story of Goldilocks and the bears? No?
FF5B52BE-74AF-40BB-9C51-3534CC751E98.jpeg

How about a song?!
595CF435-3AFC-47B1-8719-6C4F8236F592.jpeg

“Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..
Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.,”
You look a bit shocked!!

C5D0EFF5-AB46-4557-AB31-2AB3F28A70BB.jpeg

News flash human.
B7A58E13-388A-4B73-8F40-3EC06295AD74.jpeg

Muffin may have disturbed our nap but....after that caterwauling, no one is sleeping.
52C22CFA-7325-47D7-8DD5-CDFCF93734BF.jpeg

Oops. I seemed to have cleared the bed out. Maybe the bedtime story would have been better?? Come back kitties! I’ll bring treats!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As you know, I have a special place in my heart for January. That precious little one must have stayed in that box and waited just for you. Such a precious face and still is but now looks so happy. You saved his life. He has certainly grown into a healthy kitty and you can see the contentment in his face now. To you and all others, you have my heart forever. In my opinion, the last photo shows a January smile!! That’s Purrfect. This is the month of January. :clap2::redheartpump: Of course, every day is a celebration of these furry lives but a month full of January equals a month of smiles.
January says thank you for letting him have a special place in your heart
A98F6FBA-C6A2-4E85-9ACB-93C87278BD54$L0$001~photo.GIF

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi I thought of you immediately. ;) It’s a Muffin kind of day.

Muffin went in with the Bears!!
View attachment 366146
She invaded and put her scent on the bear cave! Oh my!
View attachment 366147
View attachment 366148
After promising treats, I was forgiven.
View attachment 366149
However, it was the job of Mountain Bear to check out the scent.....rubbit away.,
View attachment 366150
Once order was restored....
View attachment 366151
The kitties wanted a little attention.,
View attachment 366152
Shall I tell you the story of Goldilocks and the bears? No?
View attachment 366153
How about a song?!
View attachment 366154
“Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..
Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.,”
You look a bit shocked!!

View attachment 366155
News flash human.
View attachment 366156
Muffin may have disturbed our nap but....after that caterwauling, no one is sleeping.
View attachment 366157
Oops. I seemed to have cleared the bed out. Maybe the bedtime story would have been better?? Come back kitties! I’ll bring treats!
They are so beyond adorable!!! I do love bears, don't you?
Oh yes, may every cat tame at least one human. Education is the answer. A better world for cats AND humans. Nothing that is going on these days, that is so reprehensible, would have happened if all of those people had loving cats in their lives. The unconditional loyalty and love of cats is incomparable and so, so powerful!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for asking about Scamper! I am more and more sure that this was a human, for this reason: Scamper used to come to the front door for his food and his loves...now he comes to the back door, where humans rarely ever go. However, he is coming every feeding, so I'll add one to the back door for him. I generally feed the back door cats twice a day, and the front door cats 3 times (mostly for Scamper). He is a bit more settled around me, even from just yesterday...still wary if I try to come out, so I'll be giving pets from the doorway (and TREATS) for the next few days, as he settles again.

YES, adult ferals can be socialized! All it takes a far more time and patience than MOST people are willing to put in, but it certainly can be done! Even my dear old Austin (whom I think now rests in peace) allowed me, after two years, to stroke him as he ate.
Poor Scamper. Glad he is trusting you again.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 Waffles is a lucky kitty to have you. You have great patience and it is working! It can take time but the love does get through. I’m so glad you have been there and I know he is happy!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you. I wish the words for the ferals were marked in stone and placed wherever a cat needs help. Maybe if the message was seen enough, it would sink in to everyone. That is the goal we have set and, together, we works towards a better world.
I have always loved watching the Thrashers here. I had a funeral for one when I was nine and I used Elmers glue to write Brown Thrasher on a couple of old bricks to mark the grave at my Dads house. I sprinkled the wet glue with dirt and about 7 years ago my Dad came across the bricks in a remote corner of his yard. He could still read the words and asked me if I knew why the bricks were marked with the name of the bird. I was amazed that the glue had held the soil and the words could still be read. I explained it to him and the bricks were still there when he moved out three years ago. Every life counts. Even 50 or so years later, I remember that little bird and how beautiful it was. Maybe we don’t have to carve things in stone. A little love and the right glue can hold some things together.
The place you had was amazing. The kitties had a cat palace that you provided for them. Their lives were changed by the love you gave them. You are one of the greatest cat advocates I have had the pleasure to get to know.

BellaGooch BellaGooch I am also thankful to you and all the others on the thread and in the forum for the love given. I know that Pants, Bella, Eden and all the others agree, you have our respect and gratitude as well. I would wish for blessings for all too. May every feral, lost or stray cats find a human to tame.

N NY cat man Digger, Stretch and all the others there knew they could trust you with their lives. They were ferals but feral no more. Happy. The cats are the real experts.;)

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I think I am the one who hit the jackpot here. Living in kitty city is a true privilege. I have felt honored. With each kitty that trusted me, my heart swelled with joy and relief. I literally cried when I got the last cat in. When I started the rescues, it seemed like such a distant goal and many told me I would never reach the end of the colony. “ You can’t possible rescue them all”! Well, you never know unless you try and keep trying. I was lucky and I know that but it can happen. I’m so glad I didn’t listen to the negative comments. I’m so glad that the cats allowed me their trust. I’m also grateful for all the positive comments I got here. Some days and nights, that kept me going. Some days we all celebrated together over another cat safe or laughed together over another kitty expression. This is where Chez catbird needed to be.:redheartpump::grouphug:

tabbytom tabbytom As you know, I have a special place in my heart for January. That precious little one must have stayed in that box and waited just for you. Such a precious face and still is but now looks so happy. You saved his life. He has certainly grown into a healthy kitty and you can see the contentment in his face now. To you and all others, you have my heart forever. In my opinion, the last photo shows a January smile!! That’s Purrfect. This is the month of January. :clap2::redheartpump: Of course, every day is a celebration of these furry lives but a month full of January equals a month of smiles.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 So, a human? Then Scamper moved to the safe spot. He is so smart. He is now in a place where it will be difficult for a human to interfere. I am going it was a one time thing of someone who is not going to reappear. Hopefully you will be able to watch now and prepared to take any necessary action if they do return.:argh: May the force be with you!:vibes::sorry::whistle::nono::angrywoman:
Dear Austin. Another hero kitty. An example of great love and kindness that set an example for all humans. I know he is still watching over all there.,:rbheart: Wherever he is.:grouphug2:
[/QUOTE

I can see that they are a blessing in your life. Your story has given me hope for getting the friendly kitties off the streets, even in these tough times. I need to shut out all negativity, even the Nay-sayers who are in my life.Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day.😊

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take time but the love does get through.
Hmmm... Through to us or to them? 😉

A little love and the right glue can hold some things together.
Good reminder to just keep holding on. :hugs:

you never know unless you try and keep trying.
Keep trying & keep moving. At least you'll get somewhere. 🌤

There's my coffee colored Muffin. Maybe you should have named her Cake, as in coffee cake. ☕🧁 🍰

after that caterwauling, no one is sleeping.
Ha! I'm a terrible singer too. I was thinking of asking my friend, the music man, to give me singing lessons. 🤔

Education is the answer.
I agree in every way! 👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Through to us or to them? 😉

Good reminder to just keep holding on. :hugs:

Keep trying & keep moving. At least you'll get somewhere. 🌤

There's my coffee colored Muffin. Maybe you should have named her Cake, as in coffee cake. ☕🧁 🍰

Ha! I'm a terrible singer too. I was thinking of asking my friend, the music man, to give me singing lessons. 🤔

I agree in every way! 👍
*YES* on all except the singing, which of course IDK about, but they do say people are their own worst critics (in most cases) ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BellaGooch BellaGooch Those kitties are always stuck together like glue! Since the very first time I saw them, they were a little family unit. Their devotion to each other is so beautiful. Most of us think of Tom cats as going from one female to another but Blue and Goldilocks are complete soulmates. They are the best kitty parents too. I am fairly sure that BJ is related to Blue. They are both very protective of family. Goldie was the first on the females in the colony to stay at the edge of the woods. Blue was the first male. The Bears were the first litter. I love the expressions too. They always look at me in such a cutie way when they are snuggled on the bed. Like,” What do you want? Are you here to give us something nice?”

tabbytom tabbytom January won my heart from the first time I saw him. I think it was a photo in the monthly contest. He had the most precious expression and I just knew he was a special little guy. They all are but there is something about January. I’m sure you know that well. I always smile when I see him.:petcat:Tell him I am thankful to him.

rubysmama rubysmama The Bear family in the truest sense of family. Lol They do have their own version of the story. Notice in the background, they have another Goldilocks. She never steals their porridge though.
FC471684-2105-45F9-BD8F-0A976A4B0300.jpeg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
January won my heart from the first time I saw him. I think it was a photo in the monthly contest. He had the most precious expression and I just knew he was a special little guy. They all are but there is something about January. I’m sure you know that well. I always smile when I see him.:petcat:Tell him I am thankful to him.
This is from January
ebc6ac8cafb796e29b257a394b371a28.gif

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I do believe that if everyone loved a cat and was loved by a cat, our world would be far different. They make the best teachers to those who will watch and listen. I always feel sad for one who does not love cats. Not just as a “pet” but as they should be loved. Furmily. Those who don’t love cats must surely feel something is missing in their lives but they just don’t know what it is. Very sad for them to have that hole in their hearts. If we could help to fill those holes, all might be right with the world. Bears like these can make tough times bearable. ;)

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I am glad Scamper has her to watch over him. Guardian to all the kitties there.:heartshape:

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose
Kitties do bless our lives. They bring love and joy. They comfort and share every aspect of our lives. Nay sayers are so negative. I don’t know why people try to give negative responses to those who are doing something good. We don’t always reach our goals but even in trying we are doing something good and positive. Positive reinforcement helps us to reach higher, work harder and paves the road to make it easier for us to accomplish our goals. I can’t tell you how many negative people I have faced and how many others here have as well. I can tell you that some came to me later with praise when I started getting cats adopted. Truthfully though, my joy came from seeing the kitties safe. Each one safe was another goal met. By the time the last cat came in, it was more than joy. I was elated and felt an overwhelming sense of peace at the same time. I wouldn’t trade any moment of that for anything. The kitties are the reward. They are finally safe.:cloud9::dance::grouphug: You have support here. Always. Blessings for anything you can do.

M maggiedemi The kitty love goes both ways.
Absolutely! We do need to keep holding on and moving forward.
Muffin says to tell you that she is even better than coffee!:lol: A little more spice than coffee cake though. More like a hot pepper. Lol
Education is the key for the ferals.

Singing? Lol My Grandmother loved for me to sing but, she WAS my biggest fan. IDK but some of the kitties like me to sing so.... each to their own. I think you should sing anytime you feel like singing. If your friend can teach, that would be nice too.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I am definitely my own worst critic. Lol That’s okay though. It doesn’t stop me. It just makes me try harder.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.