My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man I’m with you and Digger on that! When I was growing up we used a few descriptive terms for coat colors or we knew Siamese from Persians and other purebred cats but it never mattered to me what the genetics were. I just loved them and they returned the love. Back then if someone had said “ticked tabby” I would have examined the cat for ticks! :lol: Spots on a tabby? Okay, it still makes me think of ticks. Someone gave me a subscription to “Cat Fanciers” magazine when I was young but I don’t remember so many descriptive cost terms being used back then. Perhaps I just missed that it maybe it just wasn’t featured since “domesticated cats or alley cats” weren’t the focus. :dunno: I pre fur wonderful, sweet, loving, precious, amazing KITTIES! I love the picture of a totally content Digger! I noticed that when I placed kitties for adoption in shelters or had spays and neuters done through a program, the “breed” was listed a gray tabby, silver tabby, orange tabby, brown tabby, black, gray, Tuxedo or Calico. Nothing more about the blending of coat colors. It gets too complicated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Supercallietortalisticexpefurallistic! I think Marty Poppins would have put it something like that?

Numb? I can understand that. So much is going on these days. We can’t possibly process it all and I pre fur to focus on kitties. It’s a lot to just keep up at our own households and with our fur babies without another hurricane popping up. I used to focus more on the hurricanes but who has the time? Since I am keeping as much in the way of supplies as I would have for hurricane prep anyway.... I just check to see if it is headed directly at us and then go back to looking for more Mackie food. I do try to check on cats and friends but it’s a lot. Thank you for asking!:hugs:
We had a lot of rain here but west and north of us was worse. The kitties here are holding their own. Smokey is still having a good quality of life. Mackie as well. Purry’s ear has healed just fine after the sting?/ inflammation. We have more vet visits scheduled. Me? I’m fine after my adrenaline injections/therapeutic stings. :lol: Numb could be really good though. According to some studies, bee stings can help pain! Odd huh? Pain stopping pain?:thumbsup: Personally, I prefer to avoid the stings.
How Bee Sting Therapy Can Treat Various Health Conditions

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Tabicos are beautiful to me too. There has been a great blending of genes! Funny but with all the kitties we rescued when I was growing up, I never had a Tortie or Tabico back then. Tabbies of every color and Calicos were plentiful. I had a grey manx but mostly grey or orange tabbies and calico cats. Solid color cats weren’t as common in our location but we had a few. Mostly black. I had a red Persian and a black Persian that I got when a breeder no longer used them as stud or show cats. Rescued . We had some Siamese too. I had one tux. Cactus Flower. Lol One white kitty. I see many more coat colors and patterns now. More and more we live in a blended world. I saw a survey of cat coat colors by location some time back and some are more common in certain areas but it seems to be changing as time goes by. As humans move around and take cats along, the colors and breeds spread and merge to some degree. Lol

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Stop! You are Smashing toes again! :( I know that one hurt! Pain meds were invented for good reason! I’m glad that you had something to help you. Heal fast! Also very glad the Dutch oven was empty! You didn’t need more weight to hit you and after getting smashed, you certainly didn’t need a big cleaning job!
I’m very glad that Hekitty forgave me! Cats are so awesome! Thank you Hekitty! I remain your humble servant!:worship:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Rainbow Brite as a kid! :)

I think it was one with a dirty double meaning. :lol:

Yes, cats get their color from their mother. I think gray is considered a form of black. So a mother with gray or black could pass on either of those colors.

Oh, I don't think I ever saw a Tabico! Such an unusual pretty combo. 😍

I thought you might get the rainbow brite reference. ;) Shining light!

Oh yeah! Maybe that’s why I couldn’t remember that typo!:blush: Oops!

There was another one too though that I remembered. Chowder instead of Clowder!

Speaking of cats, colors and patterns, here’s our little spooked tabby! Prints is growing!
258FC50A-9A93-4DE9-9F7E-E61DAEF3A84B.jpeg

Each night he still likes for me to tuck him into his bed though. Lol
ACEDCD76-189E-4E81-9EB2-3957BA40E4F6.jpeg

I’ve started telling him bedtime stories!
6972D32F-5C40-422A-9C97-7D25912EF652.jpeg

Like any young one, he needs some time to relax at bedtime.
6EBA6FCF-9604-4856-BCF9-D8956B606D58.jpeg

A bit of snuggling helps.
440E48F8-4F5D-462B-86B0-319F7F9F25CD.jpeg

Such a sweet boy. I always start out with, “Once upon a time there was a beautiful kitty!”
8216EFD8-7B44-436F-99EB-AB3C4A685D88.jpeg

“There was also something good coming.”
D9A876F9-767C-47DA-AE1B-F2494AE5449E.jpeg

The soothing tone and snuggling does help him to get sleepy.
AB759BCB-243B-4745-AB51-D9A9D7A9186A.jpeg

Also like other young creatures....
3ACBED13-23C0-4503-926F-73FC3CB78405.jpeg

I liked that story.
5683EBF9-CED8-47B2-BAC1-791A7F782F08.jpeg

Now tell it again?!?!?
EE7A2C2F-66CC-476C-81EA-3C42E10080D7.jpeg

Just when you think they are asleep! Lol Maybe I’ll tell the story again tomorrow and share it here. It involves a cat Princess who uses her powers to rescue a Prints!

We have a Blue Moon coming for Halloween. That sounds like a good night for a cat story.;)

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually created this to post here, then saw the Featured - Happy Halloween! thread so posted it there instead. But Ruby wanted me to post it here too, for BJ and Banjo and Whistle, and Lady and Muffin, and Wanda Heart and Prints, and Mama and Smokie, and everyone else at Chez Catbird, as well as the other kitties and their humans who hang out here.

So Happy Halloween Everyone from Ruby. 🎃

1604157183201.png

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually created this to post here, then saw the Featured - Happy Halloween! thread so posted it there instead. But Ruby wanted me to post it here too, for BJ and Banjo and Whistle, and Lady and Muffin, and Wanda Heart and Prints, and Mama and Smokie, and everyone else at Chez Catbird, as well as the other kitties and their humans who hang out here.

So Happy Halloween Everyone from Ruby. 🎃

View attachment 356977
🦇👻Happy Halloween everyone 🎃

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Muffin and the rainbow brite girls send purrs.

Typos. Lol At least they can make us laugh. ( hopefully!) Maybe you could start a typo dictionary of new terms! Cato rude = Tortie or other cat giving stink eye or swats.
Tonsposting = A tendency to post a Lot! Replies in book form.

There was another one that made you laugh but I can remember what it was....I made it several times. Hmmm. Oh well. I have a feeling that it will show up again. It may have been in the Bj /heart worms thread.

Cat color, pattern genetics are pretty interesting. The parent’s colors do influence the color of the kittens. It would be neat to know what Mom and Dad looked like!

I had two Calico kitties as a girl. Little One and Little Bit. Both were rescued as kittens and very, very sweet. Callie and her sisters Kelly and Phoenix are gentle too. As you know, Callie is the greeter in the girls room and helps all other to adjust and socialize. Kelly was Mom to the Gingerbread kittens. Two Calico marked and one Ginger tabby. Phoenix has a litter of babies. I’ll have to go back to check but as I recall, most were calico. The foster had Phoenix when the babies were born. All three of those sisters were born to Jazzy. Jazzy was tabby with some pale dilute markings. Much like Thrasher. Thrasher was also born to Jazzy. Lady produced a rainbow! Lol

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I’m glad you are enjoying the love story. Me too! It’s been so precious to watch. I will always wonder if Banjo and Froggie met before I brought Banjo inside.
I have seen some cute stuff on Dodo. I don’t know anything about it though. I have only posted on TCS but Banjo and Froggie are a handsome couple! I think they are meant to be together. Banjo has a brother, Whistle, who loves the frogs too. Mom, Misty shows great respect for them as well. Dad, BJ, isn’t so sure he wants his daughter to marry a frog. He can’t picture her eating bugs so Froggie often joins the cats in a dish of cat food. Somewhere I have a photo of that too. Lol
Gypsy said to tell BJ that bugs are delicious plus they are almost pure protein, except the crunchy bits..

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Tabicos are beautiful to me too. There has been a great blending of genes! Funny but with all the kitties we rescued when I was growing up, I never had a Tortie or Tabico back then. Tabbies of every color and Calicos were plentiful. I had a grey manx but mostly grey or orange tabbies and calico cats. Solid color cats weren’t as common in our location but we had a few. Mostly black. I had a red Persian and a black Persian that I got when a breeder no longer used them as stud or show cats. Rescued . We had some Siamese too. I had one tux. Cactus Flower. Lol One white kitty. I see many more coat colors and patterns now. More and more we live in a blended world. I saw a survey of cat coat colors by location some time back and some are more common in certain areas but it seems to be changing as time goes by. As humans move around and take cats along, the colors and breeds spread and merge to some degree. Lol

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Stop! You are Smashing toes again! :( I know that one hurt! Pain meds were invented for good reason! I’m glad that you had something to help you. Heal fast! Also very glad the Dutch oven was empty! You didn’t need more weight to hit you and after getting smashed, you certainly didn’t need a big cleaning job!
I’m very glad that Hekitty forgave me! Cats are so awesome! Thank you Hekitty! I remain your humble servant!:worship:
I have had a diverse group kitties over the years. Tons of Tabbies, Orange kitties of different shades, Calico, Diluted Calicos, Torties and Tabicos, gray and gray tuxedo kitties (even a few grays that looked like Russian Blues). I also had cats that looked like Egyptian Maus with their exotic spotted coats and of course-' tons of black kitties (and a few black Tuxedos). I never had all White cats or breeds like Persians or Siamnese. TG you rescued those Persians. I am not too crazy about people who just want "Show Cats." I understand they might be in love with a certain breed, but I don't seem to have much interest in helping all cats. Like donate, volunteer, or foster other cats. I detest human shallowness and selfishness. I lived in a neighborhood with a bunch of fickle selfish idiots who got cute puppies or kittens to draw attention to themselves. However, once those pets lost their cuteness and became adults, they were dumped in shelters or out on the streets and ofcourse the people went out and got new puppies or kittens.😡 I don't know for sure but in my early cat feeding days, I say I was feeding cats who were dumped and had kittens on the street. Also people let their unneutered male cats out and they fathered a lot of kittens.

All I can say is TG there are people like you who have a good heart and do right by the kitties. The sad fact is that their are plenty who couldn't care less. Well, have a good day and thank you for all that you do to help make this world a better place for the kitties and for people too.🤗

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 356949
🐈~ Here is the latest "unexpected guest" to have her kittens in my yard. I think they actually all survived ! Very unusual for stray/abandoned cats.
View attachment 356950
" Who dat ?! You talkin´ to ME... ? "
Oh what beautiful kitties! I love every one of them!
“You talking to me?”:flail:Look like someone is exploring. Precious ones and Mom cat is gorgeous. You know that I have three black kitties here? She looks like she has a floof coat? I could just fall right in with that snuggle bunch!:happycat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has occurred to me these past couple days that I think I'm numb. I am having trouble keeping up with everything, not the least of which, yet another hurricane!?!
Same here. When things get overwhelming, you just kind of go numb. Survival instinct maybe? :hugs:

Marty Poppins
Ha! Typo or Freudian slip? Sounds like my dream guy. Maybe he will take me away with his magical umbrella. ⛱🌂

It’s a lot to just keep up at our own households and with our fur babies without another hurricane popping up. I used to focus more on the hurricanes but who has the time?
Hmmmm....Is that about me? ;)

Each night he still likes for me to tuck him into his bed
Tuck that precious baby in tight. 😍

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone gave me a subscription to “Cat Fanciers” magazine when I was young but I don’t remember so many descriptive cost terms being used back then
I used to love Cat Fancy, then they got all "We don't want to be elitist" and lost their appeal for me. I'm not the least "elitist," but I did like the deeper knowledge of breeds and coat patterns and things. They had a wonderful article on cat colors. There are only TWO, did you know that? Red and black. White is due to a gene that prevents the hair from picking up color, to one extent or another. Therefore, a gray cat has some of the gene that prevents the black from fully expressing. All other colors are combination or purrmutations of those two. It gave a chart for figuring possible kitten colors for a dam and a known sire, too. They don't do that stuff anymore.

Poppycat says, try and avoid the legs :thumbsup: otherwise :barf:
Hekitty says, "ALWAYS SPIT OUT THE DRUM STICKS! THEY ARE NAAAAAASTY!"

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only read Cat Fancy while waiting at the vet's office; and for most of it, if I was standing on a stepladder, it still would be over my head. For years, there were only house cats and Siamese, and I only knew about them because they were in Lady and the Tramp. Some people want purebred, and that's fine- for them, anyway. As for me, I'll take the strays or ferals, thank you very much. After all, I'm something of a mongrel, myself.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have only read Cat Fancy while waiting at the vet's office; and for most of it, if I was standing on a stepladder, it still would be over my head. For years, there were only house cats and Siamese, and I only knew about them because they were in Lady and the Tramp. Some people want purebred, and that's fine- for them, anyway. As for me, I'll take the strays or ferals, thank you very much. After all, I'm something of a mongrel, myself.
😽As my gramma used to say most folks and many domesticated critters are Heinz 57, a wonderful variety mixture.💓

Status
Not open for further replies.