My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 I am on my way home but checked in and saw your post. I am so sorry that you had the virus. As you know, I kept trying to locate you and then knew you had been in the hospital but had no idea it was the virus. Please keep working on your recovery.
As for the young upstart cat, what does a young male love more than food? I asked BJ and he said,” the ladies!” I would try to get the scent of a lady in that trap along with food. Can you get female scent on a box or piece of cloth? If a female sleeps in a box/blanket you can put the trap in the box and the blanket in the trap. If you can find where the females go potty, that can bring him to mark territory as well. Get the girls eating in the trap and he will come to investigate. Don’t give up. Also, when the females are not in heat, his interest in food will escalate. Gotta catch him at the right time.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 I am on my way home but checked in and saw your post. I am so sorry that you had the virus. As you know, I kept trying to locate you and then knew you had been in the hospital but had no idea it was the virus. Please keep working on your recovery.
As for the young upstart cat, what does a young male love more than food? I asked BJ and he said,” the ladies!” I would try to get the scent of a lady in that trap along with food. Can you get female scent on a box or piece of cloth? If a female sleeps in a box/blanket you can put the trap in the box and the blanket in the trap. If you can find where the females go potty, that can bring him to mark territory as well. Get the girls eating in the trap and he will come to investigate. Don’t give up. Also, when the females are not in heat, his interest in food will escalate. Gotta catch him at the right time.
t

Thank you, Jcatbird

I was almost going to ask where I could get the scent of a female cat in heat, ( if only they bottled this stuff) and you came along with some great suggestions. I have to be honest, I don't like this tom- it's like he is soulless. O'Malley was part of a group, part of a family of cats on that lot and he looked out for everybody. This tom cat is just plain mean.

Do you think O'Malley will come back if I catch the new guy, or has he washed his paws of me?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
catch the new guy,
...just my thoughts; catch him, neuter him and you'll likely take care of a couple things; he may become less mean, and O"Malley may come back. There are no guarantees, mind you because every cat is different, but definitely possibilities. Hang in there!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
t

Thank you, Jcatbird

I was almost going to ask where I could get the scent of a female cat in heat, ( if only they bottled this stuff) and you came along with some great suggestions. I have to be honest, I don't kike this tom- it's like he is soulless. O'Malley was part of a group, part of a family of cats on that lot and he looked out for everybody. This tom cat is just plain mean.

Do you think O'Malley will come back if I catch the new guy, or has he washed his paws of me?
As Furballsmom Furballsmom said, Neuter and he isn’t likely to be mean. Young males must dominate. He probably isn’t mean, just scared but does not dare let it show. The look in his eyes is not soulless, it’s fear and bravado. The feral law or survival. Have you ever seen the looks BJ gave me at first? “I will eat you! Stay away!” And he is my big lover lap cat now. Give new cat a chance. Earn his trust.
I do think O’Malley will appear. I don’t think he is too far away. Just staying safe and hidden. You might try a second , small feeding spot nearby for him. Keep females from that spot if
possible.

In case you don’t know, BJ was very aloof for a very long time but once he trusted, he became very different.
8AF14123-59E6-414C-A2D5-BD7CA2704AE4.jpeg

This is not a relaxed face, it’s considering whether it not I am small enough to be chased away. I was. Lol
32575184-5920-47EE-A7ED-A5E77AAFA5B2.jpeg

The feral law of bravado applies to females too. Flowers was most intimidating at first. Even for me. Lol No longer. I don’t think any cat is beyond love. Once they know they are safe, they can let down their guard but they have to be sure.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man You found trilobites? Oh boy! I know of a place they can be found north of here. I have a few tiny ones but the ones north are something I would like to hunt. Cup coral? I’m not sure I have ever seen that! So interesting! Trilobites remind me of the rolypolies of my youth. Lol Any saber toothed cats up there? The most feral of all kitties. Lol

rubysmama rubysmama I am home but sore! Doc visit. They always make you wiggle what hurts. :lol:

I loved that Banjo took that reflection of herself last night. It was a surprise for me.

Banjo had already prepared a post for tonight so, I am going to rest my shoulder and arm to let her take over for now.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is mom going to call?
26D727E3-A16B-4380-A28C-8372D2E4E03D.jpeg

She’s been gone all day!
4F03C2E1-6626-4824-96FF-FA8BB41A3786.jpeg

Is this thing even working?
D87A216B-BEA4-45CB-BB95-CB692F70CB98.jpeg

Isn’t it supposed to light up?
8B56DBDF-79E1-4875-BD14-98D18F73B12E.jpeg

It’s supposed to make noise too!
2CC4C60B-A7E5-4F93-A63B-2E0E623074D0.jpeg

Dad. Quit worrying.
7E5120DC-671A-4E98-9B53-F406A87746C1.jpeg

Let the younger generation handle the technical stuff.
EEA2B1F2-7E02-46D8-9C1C-06EC838D8952.jpeg

Hey! I can do this stuff too Banjo!
F52F0C87-B789-4963-B002-CEDE79CEF4BB.jpeg

Okay Dad. You have to push on the screen.
F3CC6A2E-93EA-46F0-BA87-766804E6EA7F.jpeg

Then lick the numbers.
13C60684-28F2-4C83-954B-8F9A3F0443FF.jpeg

Lick them? I never see mom licking them!
A26EA1E6-8403-41A9-8F02-D18CB38D96FC.jpeg

Welllll.

Tee hee.
7854BCCE-641C-455B-9CF2-F525E77F5021.jpeg

Actually, you do this with your paw.
30ED59EA-B414-492D-9E9A-F8260CE5E010.jpeg

It’s ringing.
0008830F-F246-46A0-92D1-F8651C0D4E17.jpeg

Mom? Where are you? What’s taking you so long? You’re at the people vet? Okay. I’ll tell everybody.
FD7A0D33-C363-4BCD-B997-CE442D34A11B.jpeg

Stay on the phone with me mom. Hello TCS! Mom will be back soon. She hurt her paw and the vet stuck her..

Uhhh. No. Mom says she got a shot. Meouch!

That’s awful Thrasher!
Don’t worry Kodiak. Shots are good for cats and people if the vet says you need one.
146EFD55-44E9-4D09-8821-4F673D1F6154.jpeg

It’s all okay! Tell mom ,Whistle can wear the pants in this family as long as she needs me to. Look! I have socks!
00C095B5-0744-4320-9738-1BBC36DFEE1F.jpeg

Mom, I need to go. I’ve got some things to straighten out around here.
85BEC96A-CF7A-418C-8ECB-D92E0CB2D800.jpeg

Mom? Can you still see in here? Please hurry home. I think you need to bring treats.
244E7334-BD82-489B-9ED2-F2933CAA32E8.jpeg

:lolup:

Have a great night everyone. I’ll let you know later what the kitties had to say when I got home. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I had intended to be here earlier since I am supposed to be resting my arm and shoulder now. I had to go and sit with a neighbor for a little while though. There was a disturbance across from them and it had them shaken. I am hoping it won’t be repeated. My neighbor is elderly and I can see how that was stressful. I think it’s all okay now.
The doc can’t tell if I have a torn rotator cuff, bad bursa or injured tendon. If I take it easy and don’t use my arm much for a couple of weeks, we are hoping it will heal. I feel sure it will. That means no more 25 lb boxes of litter. :lol:
I had ordered the 15.4 lb boxes of litter but I was sent the heavier litter because of shortages. There was another mix up too. I got 10 boxes at once along with cases of food so..... lot of lifting at once. I called the company because part of my shipment was missing and the order was a bit messed up. I thought we had everything straitened out but when I hung up I got five more emails from them. Each email said I had 10 more 25 lb boxes of litter coming! Ack! 50 boxes?!?!?! Nooooo! Lol I was almost scared to call back lest the order be multiplied again but I did. After much discussion and investigating by the rep, they finally put me through to a manager. I explained the several mistakes that had been made and then told the manager about the possible 50 boxes. The manager saw the messages and couldn’t quite figure out why they were sent but assured me it was a glitch. I was very relieved. We ended up laughing when I told him that it was raining and if they delivered 50 boxes, I wouldn’t be able to bring them in fast enough to avoid the clumping of the litter. Would he please send help to scoop me out? He promised to come rescue us with a giant scoop. :flail: I did get more cat food but no more litter. They were very nice and it ended up being a very funny call.

As for being gone yesterday, while the human’s away, the cats will play! Hmmmm. I was sure I took out the empty cat food cans this morning when I took the trash out.

I’m home BJ and Mitsy. What did you do while I was gone?
73428273-65BD-42E7-A9C2-063CD6580796.jpeg

Don’t answer that BJ.
E18A0272-499D-46F2-9007-ADFA32212445.jpeg

Dolly! Where did you get that? We don’t usually order Medleys.
EC4FCF79-8F81-4BE4-8B9B-4262C840D9DA.jpeg

What’s a Medley? Looks like cat treats to me.
4806CF27-387C-4B75-B1A8-92EF181C9172.jpeg

Bonjure. You look like you’ve got a very full tummy.
DBF34CBF-DA2B-4657-8FEE-4C02A11E9898.jpeg

Banjo. Is that an empty cat food box?
16F72E6C-CC79-4AD7-9ACA-A2EC773595A2.jpeg

I thought you left the box because I was helping today. It says “thank you” on the box.
56EB56DA-686B-4BF1-870A-94717C40FD80.jpeg

Smokey, look at me. Another cat food box?
0B8D634D-D9FC-40DD-8AF9-78A732F9C8C5.jpeg

Nobody is going to look at me?
00BC80D8-87F8-4CDA-959F-C237A8D55A0D.jpeg

No dry food was eaten?
1F84D332-F71A-4CF4-B681-ED10ADE621CE.jpeg

Purry. You don’t usually bathe Whistle.
4DAE9403-9BC0-4F35-8CD8-42594C4BE0A0.jpeg

Don’t say anything Purry.
9F2F5D51-D4C7-4F28-A3C5-2C204EC2AB88.jpeg

Stop burping!
C77ABA42-B961-4C92-8BBE-50C73B6F8B25.jpeg

Just keep licking.
3ECB850E-78C2-40F8-AF0B-EEEAB91B787D.jpeg

Purry is just helping with bath time.
003F2AD8-8A2D-4339-89FC-06B0D85AB9FF.jpeg

Muffin, will you tell me what went on while I was gone?
71E82790-D9BA-4DBC-96B5-5703172E91FD.jpeg

Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no tails.
E0E648D6-2EEB-40B4-8733-DB4EE356EE45.jpeg

Thrasher? Are you okay?
3A974515-2651-4920-903D-D0089D3615E6.jpeg

Lolololololololol Great!
F885D55E-6B22-42C3-B67E-42F79778BDC7.jpeg

It was a very good day!
5B08FE1E-CFC7-4012-807D-935DFE0F7AB2.jpeg

Well, no one asked for the treats I brought home. I guess Banjo did handle everything! I think I smell catnip too! Do you think Banjo could have ordered 50 boxes of cat litter? :headscratch:

:lol:
Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The doc can’t tell if I have a torn rotator cuff, bad bursa or injured tendon. If I take it easy and don’t use my arm much for a couple of weeks, we are hoping it will heal. I feel sure it will. That means no more 25 lb boxes of litter.
Please take care and don't carry too heavy stuffs. Do more arm exercises. Rest more and keep it moving without stress. Trust me, I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago. Torn muscle and tendon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take care and don't carry too heavy stuffs. Do more arm exercises. Rest more and keep it moving without stress. Trust me, I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago. Torn muscle and tendon.
Oh my! You went through that? I am so sorry! It hurts! Thank you for the good advice. I am used to doing everything here myself and when my daughter was here I was always lifting her into her wheelchair or holding her in my lap. I know I probably have worn my muscles and tendons too much over a long period of time. I am trying to keep that in mind now so that I will heal but also trying to keep exercising my arm. I stay very active but have been told that I must not do certain things as much. My doctor teases me because of the work I used to do with plant rescues in the rainforest. He says no sky diving, no bungee jumping, no mountain climbing and no climbing trees! I have never been skydiving or bungee jumping but I admit that I might still climb a tree or be found cleaning off the roof. :lol:
I hope you recovered fully and quickly. :hugs: Did you do any particular exercises to regain use of your arm?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh my! You went through that? I am so sorry! It hurts!
It hurts? You bet! :agree:
Yes, on that night I actually went through a double surgery. Did my rotator cuff and basal thumb arthritis surgery. So I was like totally handicapped and fews days later, I torn my wrist tendon while trying to buckle my jeans :lol: So in total, 3 injuries and it took a few months to heal and now my wrist have no strong griffon things. Supposed to go for same surgery for my right rm as they have he same problems but I'm delaying it cause I don't think I want to go through the ordeal again but to bear with the pain by taking pain killer if pain persists.

I'm sort of fully recovered but it's just that it's not the same again as the arm and wrist are just much weaker.

Now I just do stretching exercises. But actual fact, my whole body aches, every joint from neck to fingers to hips to knees and I've been living with a fractured tailbone for the past 40 years :ohwell:
My other exercise is cycling which I've not been doing it since after my major surgery. Hoping to get on my bike soon.

Just do not exert yourself. Getting hurt and being out of order is no fun :nono:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It hurts? You bet! :agree:
Yes, on that night I actually went through a double surgery. Did my rotator cuff and basal thumb arthritis surgery. So I was like totally handicapped and fews days later, I torn my wrist tendon while trying to buckle my jeans :lol: So in total, 3 injuries and it took a few months to heal and now my wrist have no strong griffon things. Supposed to go for same surgery for my right rm as they have he same problems but I'm delaying it cause I don't think I want to go through the ordeal again but to bear with the pain by taking pain killer if pain persists.

I'm sort of fully recovered but it's just that it's not the same again as the arm and wrist are just much weaker.

Now I just do stretching exercises. But actual fact, my whole body aches, every joint from neck to fingers to hips to knees and I've been living with a fractured tailbone for the past 40 years :ohwell:
My other exercise is cycling which I've not been doing it since after my major surgery. Hoping to get on my bike soon.

Just do not exert yourself. Getting hurt and being out of order is no fun :nono:
Ouch!! I have had 2 major surgeries in my life, and never want to have a third. The last one was when I blew out 2 discs in my lower back. It was 7 months before I was able to go back to work, and after almost 40 years, it still occasionally gives me grief, but nothing too serious- just kind of a "Hi there; remember me?"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The doc can’t tell if I have a torn rotator cuff, bad bursa or injured tendon. If I take it easy and don’t use my arm much for a couple of weeks, we are hoping it will heal. I feel sure it will. That means no more 25 lb boxes of litter. :lol:
Take care, and follow doctor's orders. :hugs:

1590318058161.png

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ouch!! I have had 2 major surgeries in my life, and never want to have a third.
Yea, precisely, that's why I'm hesitating on going for surgery on the other arm. It is still moving but the real pain has not set in yet though the thumb is pretty painful just like my left thumb before the surgery. A piece of arthritic joint was removed from my left thumb and my right thumb is exactly the same but I'm bearing the pain. I also feel that my right shoulder's tendon and muscle is acting up as I can feel it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn’t thought about the view from the Ferris Wheel at night!😍 That must be magical.
Not my idea of magical! I rode on a ferris wheel once, and never again in this lifetime. :eek2:

That’s much better than what Lady does. Although Lady is either being considerate or making a statement. She puts all her hair balls in her food dish.
Food dishes are much easier to wash, if the puke doesn't clump well and goes all over the scoop. Ask me how I know this. 👎

Mother Nature does have a way of healing in time.
May she heal all of us who need it. :crossfingers:☀🌈🌤

On no you don’t Kodiak. Your Prince will come one day but this is mine!
I know how you feel Banjo. ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Ypi really have had a hard time! I’m so sorry because I know pain. Having your wrist go right after the surgery was awful! I have had some intense surgeries too. The worst was a spinal cord injury. I was very fortunate to recover at all from that one but the pain before the surgery was terrible. I just wanted to get the surgery over with in the hope that the pain would stop and I could walk again. I still have to be careful but I did get through it better than was expected. I don’t want surgery on this though if I can avoid it. The pain is the worst if I try to reach over, behind me or move suddenly. Slow and steady may get me through. I hope we can both continue without surgery. I will gather the Clowder to help me send healing purrs!:vibes::purr:

N NY cat man Ouch to your back! My disc , as the doc put it, exploded. It sent pieces into my spinal cord and it hurt! Like a dummy, at first I thought, gee, I just pulled something really bad! Hours later I could not walk. I still have reminders too. Spasms and no feeling in my left foot. I was very, very fortunate. The relief after the surgery was huge even though trying to walk again was rough. Humans are tough though. We persist and get through. I hope your back doesn’t remind you too often.

rubysmama rubysmama You always find the cutest pictures! I will mind the kitty doctor. I wish my doc looked like that!:lol:

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for the hugs. I am returning them with my left arm! Lol

M maggiedemi You didn’t like the Ferris wheel? Did they stop it with you at the top? My friend always seemed to be at the top when it stopped and she wasn’t fond of that. I like being up in the sky. Did you ever ride a roller coaster? Some of those are quite a ride. Space Mountain is a roller coaster in the dark! I don’t think you would like that one but maybe being unable to see the ground would make it better?

Nature has a wonderful healing touch. I wish I could just go to the ocean for awhile. Very soothing.

I won’t ask you how you know that! Ewwww! Maggie or Demi?

Banjo is very protective of her Prince. I don’t know if she’s afraid Kodiak might play a bit rough or would steal a kiss. Lol

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ypi really have had a hard time! I’m so sorry because I know pain. Having your wrist go right after the surgery was awful! I have had some intense surgeries too. The worst was a spinal cord injury. I was very fortunate to recover at all from that one but the pain before the surgery was terrible. I just wanted to get the surgery over with in the hope that the pain would stop and I could walk again. I still have to be careful but I did get through it better than was expected. I don’t want surgery on this though if I can avoid it. The pain is the worst if I try to reach over, behind me or move suddenly. Slow and steady may get me
I understand people with pain as I experience it myself. Those who did not go through such pain will never understand what we go through.

For our bodies, any surgery done on it, it'll never be the same again. The pain may be gone but the usefulness of the limb is very much discounted. It'll never have the full strength back.

So, that's why I tell you to take care. Don't be a hero. Get someone to help you carry or stack heavy stuffs. If no one is around, move things bit by bit and have a trolley to help you move them around. Stach list stuffs on top shelves and heavy ones at waist level so that you don't have to bend over to pick it up.
At an older age and with injuries, we have to make things convenient to do as not to hurt ourselves. Many people don't understand it, ignore them. Do what's comfortable for you and don't get hurt.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught Smokey relaxed and being sweet/silly girl. She still looks like she did as a kitten to me. tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I think you will like these.

Lari Lari the derpy continues.

A box custom fit! Sort of? Lol
6D46C875-19E3-4AB5-A315-E4422B3F3BE1.jpeg

Well, cats don’t care if there is a bit of overflow.
73CFEE0B-253A-435E-B696-6D48F0BB7A91.jpeg

That’s not overflow! I just wanted one paw out. I can use it to push the box across the floor.
AC870E25-2A7E-4236-9011-69C5B49B8EEB.jpeg

Like this!
409D15E9-A4CE-4ECD-9625-940D6590D629.jpeg

Did you want something Smokey?
EDE567DB-C456-4A74-874E-7B1594832134.jpeg

Are you trying to get more treats? That’s why you can’t fit in that box now!
D43F01DA-3833-401E-BFE8-264AE0A73E94.jpeg

I need treats! I’ll do whatever it takes to get them too! Must I do derpy tongue?
7FA0A1E0-8A4F-47FE-9E0C-D64994202BE9.jpeg

Okay! :flail: I give in. Treats are coming along with a larger box.

Have a great night everyone! I am going to check my inbox and then rest my shoulder. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand people with pain as I experience it myself. Those who did not go through such pain will never understand what we go through.

For our bodies, any surgery done on it, it'll never be the same again. The pain may be gone but the usefulness of the limb is very much discounted. It'll never have the full strength back.

So, that's why I tell you to take care. Don't be a hero. Get someone to help you carry or stack heavy stuffs. If no one is around, move things bit by bit and have a trolley to help you move them around. Stach list stuffs on top shelves and heavy ones at waist level so that you don't have to bend over to pick it up.
At an older age and with injuries, we have to make things convenient to do as not to hurt ourselves. Many people don't understand it, ignore them. Do what's comfortable for you and don't get hurt.
You are right. Many do not understand if they can’t see the pain or injury. I am using a hand trolley already. I am moving things more slowly and have put a step stool in the kitchen. I am not tall so going to the store is always a challenge if things are on a high shelf. Having to buy cat food in large cases lately along with large boxes of litter and ..... everything in more quantity than usual so I can stay out of the stores has been part of the strain. The helper I had quit when the virus hit here. I am hoping she will return or one of her family members will come to help. I live in a place where it is always hard to find help. Actually we older people out here help each other the most. We understand each other’s struggles. I do ignore those who don’t understand. I learned long ago to do what I must in order to take care of myself and the kitties. I can’t do anything for the kitties if I don’t take care of myself so that is the thing that I keep in mind. They need their human to keep moving. Having them is good inspiration for being careful. Thank you for being so kind and understanding. I won’t even try to be a hero. Slow and steady will get us to our goal. That and kitty purrs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.